main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V No Bigger Luke Here- Massive Star Wars Video Game - Star Wars Outlaws!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 18, 2017.

1. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    This is clearly going to be a fetch quest game like most open world games are. Pretty much what I was expecting but those mainly looking for an intriguing story might not be as excited about it.

Will be interesting to see though how many quests they will have in the game.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Looking interesting. I wonder how well they will actually pull off that dynamism or if it is going to come off like Oblivion where they talked up the ai system a lot only for it to feel fairly artificial. But then again I had plenty of fun with Oblivion anyway, and even despite its wonky combat.

Fleet junkie that I am, hearing about pirates immediately made me wonder what kind of ships they will be flying. New designs, or will use some of the pirate ships from the tv shows?

I also wonder if that will be pure space or if there will be boarding actions - probably the former because I imagine they would have bragged about the latter.

Also seems like in general there will be enemies coming after the player more rather than just statically patrolling like most open world games. That can be annoying, but it does make the game feel more real and alive.

3. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    If they do have characters hunting us down that would become annoying after awhile. Hopefully we can just deal with them once and be done with it.

Hopefully they fill the world up with in-game books and what not such as what Elder Scrolls has. That's how Elder Scrolls built up it's lore even though it essentially are just fetch quest games as well.

Barriss_Coffee and MercenaryAce like this.
  4. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    With Hidden Empire #1 showing that not only Zerek Besh, but the Droid Gotra as well are now in top-5 syndicates, seems possible that it will be at least mentioned that ND-5 is the latter's former member.

Barriss_Coffee and MercenaryAce like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Enemies coming after the player= you hacked off Faction X, don't do some stuff for a while to let the aggro level go down or pay it off.

This is unlikely to be a revolutionary game, but it is likely to be a good synthesis of current game systems, with a SW aesthetic, which means it should be a fun time.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Or at least have some way to get them off your back, like paying off whatever faction you injured.

That would be great! Really make the world feel more alive.

I imagine there will definitely be some sort of databank system like a lot of star wars games telling you about the stuff you encounter, but some in-universe fiction would go a long way to making the world feel alive.

There is a shot in the story trailer of a bunch of droids of unknown make shooting - while I suppose there are a lot of those things the droids could be, I do wonder if they might be Droid Gotra.

Similarly, Black Sun almost feels conspicuous in its absence give they are the second most common reoccurring syndicate after the hutt cartel with a prominent place among the other syndicates featured in the game.

Well said.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
  8. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This is an entirely novel concept. The future of gaming will never be the same.

10. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I do, but they are removing the LICENSES so even a disk is usesless, also the might not sell physical media

11. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2024/04/10/exclusive-hands-on-impressions
    Finally, name of the Pyke's current leader. Was hoping for Fife though.

12. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    That would give a definite answer if these pykes are a redesign or separate sub-group...

Well, probably good to have a few cartels change leadership. It is not a job you are likely to die of old age doing after all.

I know I said it before, but man Black Sun feels conspicuous by its absence, especially given this is set the same time as Shadows of the Empire.

I like that Toshara's capital is small but dense. Cities in open world games can feel rather empty, so sacrificing some space to increase the hustle and bustle works well, especially on some backwater moon like this that probably wouldn't have a very large city anyway.

I have a feeling I will try stealth most missions then fail and get in shootouts anyway.

That is most disturbing. Sadly, the way trends work now probably won't be long before other companies do the same.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  13. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe it will reappear in DLC, with appropriate title like "Xizor's return". Or maybe he is a true antagonist of the game, acting behind the scenes.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  14. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Xizor and Black Sun are almost guaranteed to be a faction on one of the DLCs (Ubisoft is known to make quite large DLC packs, and that would be an obvious selling point).

Another probable route will be to show, via some kind of flashback, Maul leading Crimson Dawn.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

MercenaryAce and Foreign32567 like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The Crew was an online-only game, with no offline version, unlike Steep or Riders Republic. The servers for it were switched off thus it's dead game. Doesn't matter if you still technically have it listed in your game library, you boot it up, it tries to connect to servers that aren't there.

Back to Outlaws and it is surreal how just how much pointless crap is being stirred up around it, as UbiSoft do... what the gaming industry has been doing for years, with a very known pattern of activity. If it's really that big a problem for you? Don't buy it at launch, wait for a sale, it's guaranteed to be in one before long.

16. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Hmmm....interesting ideas.

How big dlcs does Ubisoft do? Think they might include another planet?

AusStig likes this.
  17. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Seems like Akiva is going to be Crimson Dawn's main base, since for other planets in the game it is already established which syndicates control them. Maybe in DLC Black Sun will take Akiva for itself, also making a connection with Aftermath.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Possibly planets. Or, more accurately, areas on planets - it'll never be an entire planetary area which some expect. You can have that from procedural generation but it isn't that interesting.

The DLCs they did for the big open world trilogy of Origins-Odyssey-Valhalla varied from small to medium to massive areas. The idea that you'll see online that it could have all been ready for launch originally doesn't fly when you play them.

Plus, the world and story is very accommodating of further adventures and locations.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    I think a smaller planet could be definitely on the cards for the DLC. If we go with the Assassin's Creed DLC plans as an example, Ubisoft always did a "smaller" DLC with a new area and a "big one" with a huge one (Valhalla was an exception, were they did even bigger DLC's with Ragnarok and what not). I also fully expect a store with items, cosmetics, etc.

I also don't understand the bad discourse about the game i keep seeing online. The Season Pass, preorder missions and items and so forth, are standard practice in the industry for a decade now (does anyone remember how Bioware sold Javik as DLC for Mass Effect 3, despite the fact that he was already on disc, on day 1?), and even the 130$ price tag is something that's sadly the norm now for all "Ultimate editions".

The game looks amazing, the gameplay reveal last year was awesome, and if it could turn out in any way like Red Dead Redemption 2 with regards to the immersion with the world(s), could very well be one of the best Star Wars games ever.

MercenaryAce, AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Things that UbiSoft deserves flak for that are new:
    • The 3-day "early access" rubbish, every company should get criticised for this.
    • The price of the Gold / Ultimate editions is significantly higher compared to other games from them.
    All the other stuff has been crappy gaming industry standard practice for over a decade.

21. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    You think we get only small DLC or any big ones like AC Odessy big episodes and Valhalla big DLCs. Black Sun DLC package maybe.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably both given UbiSoft's past record on this.

23. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Is same with other Ubisoft games, i only played AC.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't know as I'm mostly AC only, but it's a pretty common pattern to put out a smaller DLC sooner, while working on a bigger one that needs the time. That was done for both Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy XVI.

25. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting idea, I could see that work.

I see. Yeah, more areas for the planets is probably the more logical option, as fun as it would be to include, say, Niamos or Daiyu. Wonder how different the new areas will be from the base ones though, always fun to see star wars planets get some variety in their terrain.

And also true actually going for a full planet, even a shrunken one, doesn't seem that likely. Does make me wonder how they will create borders - I would assume water, but then there is a shop of the speeder bike going over water, and Tatooine doesn't have any big bodies of water. Maybe the Krayt dragon's job will be to kill players who go out of bounds?

Jedi Ben likes this.