main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-SW Collectibles v 2.0

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Blur, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Hey everyone. I know this thread is dedicated to discussing Star Wars action figures/collectibles, but I have a feeling there are at least some X-files fans on this site. And, I didn't know where else to post this. Mods, hopefully it's alright to post this here. If not, please move this to a more appropriate section - I thought about posting this in the "Community" section, but thought it would be more appropriate here since this section is devoted to talking about toys/collectibles.

In any case, I'm a huge X-files fan & this was definitely one of the best '90's TV shows, and also one of the best sci-fi shows of all time. It was one of the few shows ever to successfully combine sci-fi, horror, & also suspense/thriller elements.

Re: figures based on the show, there really haven't been that many - so far, all we've seen were a line of McFarlane toys figures devoted to the 1998 film (which I'm not really counting), as well as a more recent series of 12" dolls/figures based on some of the main characters. There was also a "Flukeman" figure made by McFarlane toys back in the late '90's/early 2000's, but this was an Exclusive (online?) and was almost impossible to get ahold of.

While I agree that a line of X-files figures has the potential to be boring (since many of the main characters are just people in suits), I think if the focus were more on the aliens/creatures in the series, there could definitely be some interest in this line from even casual fans of the show. Re: the company that should make these toys, I think maybe Diamond Direct/NECA would be a good choice(s), since they've both done a good job with other movie/TV related toys (i.e., Battlestar Galactica, Terminator, etc.)

And, now that the show is making a come-back in early 2016 (with new episodes), I feel that now is the perfect time to release a line of figures. Here is what I would like to see - I think these figures should encompass both the 9 seasons of the TV show as well as both feature films (1998 & 2008) - note that I've broken up the figures in Waves, and I have the minimum of "normal" (i.e. suited agent) characters in each wave to make it more diverse. Obviously, please feel free to add to this list:

Wave 1:
    Mulder in Suit
    Scully in Suit
    Flukeman (mutant in sewer from first season)
    Eugene Tooms with "stretching" action (maybe his fingers could be bendable & stretch like in the show)

Wave 2:
    Assistant Director Walter Skinner
    Werewolf from "Shapes" episode (first season)
    Jersey Devil (cave/ape man from first season)
    Basic Gray alien (various episodes)

Wave 3:
    "Fight the Future" green-ish large movie alien (1998 film)
    Cigarette-smoking man
    "Eve" twins two-pack
    Rob Roberts - mutant from "Hungry" episode (S. 7)
    The Great Mutato - mutant from "Post-modern Prometheus" episode (S. 5)

Wave 4:
    Special Agent Doggett (Seasons 8 & 9)
    Male Zombie from "Folie A Deux" episode (Season 5)
    Female Zombie from "Folie A Deux" episode
    Insect-like monster from "Folie A Deux"

Wave 5:
    Special Agent Reyes (Seasons 8 & 9)
    Golem (season 4)
    Chupacabra
    2-headed dog from "X-files: I want to Believe" film (2008)

Wave 6:
    Alex Krycek w/artificial arm
    Human Bat ("Patience" episode)
    Ubermenscher ("Arcadia" episode)
    Vele monster ("Terms of Endearment" episode)

Wave 7:
    Alien bounty hunter
    Faceless rebel alien
    Lizard creature (Season 8)
    Monster/Demon (B. Campbell) from S.6 episode "Terms of Endearment"

Wave 8:
    Frank Black - "Millennium" episode (Season 7)
    Metal man/creature - "Salvage" episode (Season 8)
    Soul eater - "The Gift" episode (Season 8)
    Mutant man-reptile - "Alone" episode (Season 8)

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    We once had a "Admit it you collect other toys" thread - this could easily be turned into that 2.0 style :) *Nudge nudge LAJ_FETT

That's a good list! I'm sooo freaking excited to have X-Files returning. It's my all time favorite TV series. I'd buy new figures that spanned all 10 seasons (the 6 ep arc that's coming is being viewed by Chris Carter as season 10.)

Some others that are more mythology based that I'd recommend: The Lone Gunmen 3 pack, Deep Throat, Agent X, Margaret Scully, Duane Barry, Clyde Bruckman, Marita Covarrubias, Agent Jeffery Spender, black eyed Krycek, Well Manicured Man, Jeremiah Smith, Samantha Mulder (Child from earlier seasons,) Cassandra Spender, Leonard Betts, and oh yes please for humor characters Morris Fletcher (Dreamtime) and Eddie Van Blunht (Small Potatoes.)

For alt Mulder/Scullys: Scully in scrubs, Scully back in time from "Triangle," Mulder jeans t-shirt, and pregnant Scully.

Here's my X-files collection. I have a few more of the monster type figures from Fight the Future but they're not on display. Sideshow pissed me off by releasing Skinner during summer so I had to cancel my order on him. Makes me sooo made because they only made a handful of his figure and they're SOOO expensive :( I'm really hoping Sideshow will give us at least new Scully/Mulder figures for the new season and maybe a re-release of "hopefully" Director Skinner.

[​IMG]

3. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

I knew there were other fans of the series on here! Yes, those other characters you mentioned would be great as figures, as well as the alternate Mulder's & Scully's - they could intersperse those with the aliens/other characters in different waves. I'm also a big fan of The Walking Dead TV series, and I believe the actress that played Marita Covarrubias was also on TWD, playing the Andrea character...

Like your collection - I never got any of the '98 "Fight the Future" X-files figures because I was more interested in figures from the show itself, not just the film. The 12" figures look great as well.

I'm disappointed that we got so few alien/mutant figures from the series itself. There were so many cool ones, as seen on my lists. IMHO, these were more interesting visually than many of the human characters. I wish McFarlane toys had come out with a dedicated X-files line based on characters from the show, not just the film. In the early 200X's, McFarlane did make a "Fluke-man" figure (one of the coolest mutants from the series), but it was an online exclusive, and very HTF. Here's a review of this great toy:

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_102300.htm

All of the McFarlane X-files toys are going for big bucks these days, and since they all came out years ago I'm still holding out for a potential new line that will take advantage of more modern sculpting...

Just like I want all of the ANH Cantina & Jabba's palace alien characters to be made as figures (no matter how obscure), I also want to see all of the X-files aliens/mutants made as figures ;)

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well there's me at least :p I'm a TV junkie. SW is my main collection. I have Indy stuff, some Superman, X-Files, a little Harry Potter, Avatar, and Hunger Games.

I met Laurie Holden at my local con and had her sign a Marita photo collage that I'd put together, she couldn't believe she was cast in that part - she was only 25 if you can believe it. My best X-Files collectibles are my in person signatures of Gillian Anderson :)

The freaks and monsters would be awesome as figures. They definitely didn't have a lot of figural type merchandise over the years for X-Files. There are some Funko bobbleheads out there w/ a series 1 of the Pop! series coming soon:

Available now:

[​IMG]

Coming soon: EDIT: Oops it looks like these guys are available - must find them...

[​IMG]

Well thank you - I now have a BOATLOAD of X-Files junk that I'm watching and bidding on on ebay :p

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Retitled thread accordingly - use this to discuss any non-SW collectibles you have or want to see. If the discussion is for an on-going show (like 'Game of Thrones') please use spoiler tags for any spoilers (i.e. figures for new characters, etc.)

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  7. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, Thanks very much LAJ_FETT.

8. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I LOVE me some x-files too! I'm going through the show again in prep for season 10! I'd put money down on a new sideshow or hot toys Mulder/Scully in a heartbeat!

I'd like to see winter variants of the two!

9. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    PadmeLeiaJaina, Thanks for the pics. of the X-files Bobble-heads & Pop! figures - they look interesting, especially the alien humanoid figure.

Cool about meeting Laurie Holden - great & beautiful actress. In addition to X-files & TWD, she was also in the great sci-fi/horror flick The Mist, based on the Stephen King short story of the same name.

Gamma626, good to hear there are other X-files fans on this board. I wasn't sure how well my post would be received. However, I think the show's come-back in early 2016 may bring a lot of other older fans out of the wood-work, and will hopefully bring a lot of attention back to the original 1993-2002 TV series.

If an extensive action figure line is ever released based on the series, I'd also like to see the winter variants of Scully/Mulder - along with the alien/mutant figures of course.

On a related note, I have considered buying the entire X-files series on DVD (I've see all of the episodes that way, but always rented the DVD's), but never did for whatever reason. If the series is ever released on Blu-ray (my preferred home video format), I will definitely buy the set, since I'm sure the picture quality would be remastered & enhanced...

I also liked both X-files films (1998 & 2008). I saw them both in the theater. While the '98 film was more sci-fi oriented (and was tied into the show directly, since it came out when the show was still on TV), the 2008 film was more horror-based.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I've worn through I think 2 full sets of my X-Files DVDs over the years and that didn't include the VHS tapes that I wore out before DVDs. There's been talk for years about getting X-Files on Blu-Ray. Only problem is that the first few seasons were shot in early TV non-HD format so converting them is really expensive. Also didn't help that Chris Carter and Fox were fighting. Hopefully that will be behind them and they can work to try to get the series on Blu-Ray. Until then, all 9 seasons are on Netflix - no commercials and no wearing out DVDs :D

I did like the VHS tapes - they were EXPENSIVE when they came out but they had all sorts of cool BTS interviews w/ Chris Carter that haven't been released since. They were also fun because they always contained clips from some of the episodes w/ different dubbed languages - always fun hearing Scully speaking in husky German.

I haven't gotten the new series but I also have nearly all of the original X-Files comics that came out when the show was on the air and the trading cards.

I need another bookcase to display my non-Star Wars stuff. I've recently picked up a few new Indiana Jones things to add to that collection of mine as well. I want to work on getting all of the figures that came out at the time of "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." I got one of the playsets and would like to find more Indy playsets/figures before Disney reboots the franchise. I'd really love some of the vintage Raiders playsets but those are out of my price range. I only need a few figures to have a complete set of the vintage ones.

Here's some of my Indy stuff that I don't currently have on display:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the Palisades Kermit as Indiana Jones. The idol is a bank by Diamond Select.

[​IMG]

My greatest prize in the top corner of the pic - I picked up a bag at a thrift store years ago that had an Indy, Marion, Toht, and Cairo swordsman in it - all but swordsman were in sealed packages - I got the whole bag for $2.99. Marion was one of my holy grails for many years and I got her perfect. My German disguise Indy by Sideshow I got dirt cheap in an auction with a Medicom 12" scale Anakin Skywalker.

[​IMG]

My 18" Diamond Select Indiana Jones figure - I love these figures and so wish that they'd continued w/ the line. They were going to do an Indy in the throne room desert disguise costume but ended the line before he went into production.

[​IMG]

11. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I'd hold out hope for something soon! The first two seasons have already been remastered and aired in HD in other countries, along with a majority of the third season! You can see the first 13 episodes remastered on Netflix right now, and they look STUNNING! Absolutely gorgeous! The X-Files would be a day one purchase on blu-Ray for me. That's pretty much my holy grail right now besides the Unaltered OT for Star Wars.

12. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, I've seen screen shots of the X-files in HD on another site - great picture quality! I haven't seen any of the show itself in HD, however - I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it will be released to Blu, and then get the whole series that way. I'm guessing that once the entire series is remastered on HD (if that's the plan), that the powers-that-be may then release it to Blu. However, it's taking a long time for this to happen....

On another note, great IJ collection pictures, PadmeLeiaJaina - very impressive. I was a big fan of the KOTCS toyline in 2008, and collected most of the figures/vehicles - with an emphasis on the ones from Raiders & Last Crusade. I know there was a very HTF Temple of Doom series (which I never saw @ retail), as well as an extremely HTF 2nd Raiders wave - which was made available as an expensive exclusive at a convention a couple of years back.

Also in 2008 I got the 12" IJ from Sideshow, which was a great figure. I also got Toht, Belloq, and the IJ in German outfit from that line. Hasbro came out with a nice 12" Cairo Swordsman & generic German soldier as well.

13. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    It's taking a while, but I imagine the release of Star Trek on blu-Ray showed the benefit of remastering popular catalog television, not just for physical media, but specifically HD streaming. Netflix will be the primary platform for HD x-files, but they'll release it on disk for some quick cash I'm sure.

As far as other collectibles, I'm feeling the itch for collecting some cool terminator goodies!

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've only got one non-SW figure so far - it's one of the Weeping Angels from the Doctor Who episode Blink. I really like that episode.

cathiecat likes this.
  15. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I have a few Doctor Who figures. Sadly, the line has undergone a new restructuring, and the figures are horrible now. If sideshow made some DW collectibles id jump on them!

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I can't get into Dr Who, it and Buffy. Oh well, not everyone can love everything.

17. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Nah, it makes complete sense. Dr. Who is a show I really love, but honestly, it's REALLY corny. I can easily see why it'd turn people off. The best stretch of the show was Matt Smiths run in my opinion, as it was the least corny stretch, but even then. Still corny.

Buffy is good for its characters, but most of the time the show is so annoying it's hard to watch. The first two seasons have WAY more bad episodes then good, and it's really season 4 and 5 that are actually great. season 6 has some awesome plot lines and episodes, but is really brought down by Dawn.

It suffers from the same problem every Joss Whedon thing besides firefly suffers from. Annoyingly smarmy characters and plots that try to be smarter than they are. It can really grate on you.

18. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    This comic con was massive as far as 1/6 scale stuff goes! My favorite video game franchise, Resident Evil, got some side show love (YESSSSS) and one of my favorite characters ever, Ash, got a 1/6 scale figure! WOO! I'm so excited!! :D

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The Ash figure looks amazing :)

Blur - thanks to you I now have a Flukeman figure on it's way to me :p

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Grrr I double posted. I'm excited about the Pop! Figures for "Outlander."

21. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

Glad to hear it! I never got that figure or any of the other X-files figures; I'm still holding out for a full line of mutants/aliens from the series - hopefully we'll get at least some figures now that the show is making a come-back next year.

22. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Ugh, I really need to start focusing on my SW vintage collection. I should've completed it (getting all that I wanted) a few years ago, but I collect so many other 70s/80s era lines and other stuff from the era (video games) that I can't make any real progress on any of it. In the last week or so I've added a 70s Mego Incredible Hulk, two 80s G.I. Joes (Scarlett and Snake Eyes) and last night I won a Firefly from the 80s M.A.S.K. line (by Kenner). Now I'm on there (eBay) looking up G1 Transformers!

[​IMG]

I'm like a fly at a picnic; landing on the potato salad, nibbling for a sec, and then buzzing off to munch on some cornbread.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    That Hulk looks pretty cool - Mego figures are awesome, congrats he's in good shape!

24. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks :D. Yeah, I love Mego, but I don't have many. Hulk is my first comic book Mego (grabbed him for $20, which I thought was a great deal considering his condition). Still would like to get Cap, Spidey, Iron Man, Batman and Robin. Maybe a villain or two (Joker and Green Goblin). They're pretty expensive, though. Also have a Mego Captain Kirk. Gonna grab Spock and McCoy and consider that line done for me.

25. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, congrats. on the Mego Hulk - it looks new. I had that as a kid back in the day, and it was one of my favorite toys. I have no idea where it is now. I had some other Mego super-hero figures as well.

I think a company out there re-released some of these Mego figures in the last 10 years - I think I've seen some of them @ TRU. But, I don't think that Hulk was ever re-released.