main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Obi-wan’s Combat Competence in the Prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Doompup, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Obi-Wan is my favorite character from the Prequels. He is well respected by the other Jedi and eventually joins the Jedi Council. However, it would appear, as shown in the movies, his combat skills leave something to be desired. I know a lot of things happen for dramatic effect (holding onto the the edge from a pit), but he seems to be the biggest recipient of this. He does very well against Anakin/Darth Vader, as he is uniquely suited for that duel because he trained Anakin, but his other duels......
    - Against Darth Maul: does ok, but then gets knocked into the pit and loses his lightsaber (beginning a pattern). Does win with a cool force move, but not traditional dueling.
    - Against Jango Fett: loses his lightsaber and gets knocked off platform; fails his goal of capturing Jango.
    - Against Dooku 1: this one kind of ticks me off. He gets put down pretty easily by seemingly minor injuries. I mean, Luke got his hand chopped off and managed to stay up. Obi-Wan doesn’t even try to save himself or Anakin when the tower is falling.
    - Against Dooku 2: gets put down pretty easily again.
    - Against Grievous 1 & 2: does pretty well, but loses lightsaber and gets knocked off platform again in 2
    - Against Anakin: as stated before

Thoughts? Maybe his Jedi skill strengths lean more towards other domains?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    He is more suited for defense than Jedi like Mace and Anakin who are more aggressive in their styles.

I would give Obi-Wan the edge in the Maul fight overall. Obi-Wan is still very young and manages to defeat a Sith Lord as a Padawan. He lets his blind aggression be his downfall, but uses his strength of analyzing the situation to defeat Maul.

Obi-Wan also uses his wits to defeat and capture Zam in the bar. While Obi-Wan does fail to capture Jango, he puts up a good fight, even using hand to hand which is the first time we've seen that in Star Wars.

He also manages to disarm and slay the Acklay with ease once he gets his lightsaber.

His duels with Dooku show he is
    fallable, though he at least held his own in AOTC for a little bit.

ROTS Obi-Wan redeems himself by taking down 2 MagnaGuards on the Invisible Hand and once again using his wit to crush them on Utapau.

Also, Obi-Wan disarms Grievous, a high profile Jedi killer, relatively quickly, but the fight becomes more high risk when he loses his saber. Going hand to hand with a cyborg is gonna be hard, but he does outwit Grievous. And of course, he does the same to Anakin.

So overall, his only "losses" are Jango, and both Dooku duels.

Maul, Zam, Grievous, and Anakin are all taken down using Kenobi's awareness of his environment. Plus the MagnaGuards on Invisible Hand and Utapau.

Not a terrible ratio by any means. His wit is what keeps him alive.

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    He beat two Sith Lords. Chopped one in half, left the other limbless and burning on a lava bank. And that's not even getting into what he did to poor Grievous--after losing his lightsaber.

I wouldn't want to mess with the guy.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Doompup, thanks for starting this thread and giving me an excuse to talk about Obi-Wan, who is also my favorite character. It's always great to meet another Obi-Wan fan:)

I agree that Obi-Wan is well-respected by the Council, and I think much of that has to do with his perceived wisdom and also with that increasing gentleness and patience that we get to see him growing in from TPM through ROTS. Even from TPM, I would say the quality most consistently associated with Obi-Wan is wisdom. For example, Qui-Gon tells Obi-Wan in the swamps that Obi-Wan is a much wiser man than he (Qui-Gon) is. Then in AOTC, Anakin brags about Obi-Wan being as wise as Master Yoda though he's probably exaggerating in typical AOTC Anakin fashion. In ROTS, I'd say Obi-Wan's wisdom is most on display because I feel like in many ways his sharp wit has finally been tempered by that gentle, patient side that we see for instance when he says good-bye to Anakin before he goes off to hunt down General Grevious. Of course, Obi-Wan is still associated with power in the sense that Qui-Gon predicts Obi-Wan will be a great Jedi (though I'd say the greatness is strongly linked to the wisdom) and Anakin in his AOTC bragging refers to Obi-Wan as being powerful as Master Windu, which again is probably some exaggerating. All that being said, I think Obi-Wan would've been most valued for his wisdom, and that's why he was often called the Negotiator rather than something that emphasized his prowess as a warrior.

With Maul, I believe that Maul is a more ferocious type fighter than Obi-Wan was, and actually I believe it was Obi-Wan's attempt to match Maul's ferocity that made him fall into the pit where he has to hold on by a pipe. It's when he is holding on by the pipe that he is forced to pause, to think, to calm down, to regroup, and to trust in the Force to guide him. When he does that, he is able to defeat Maul by being a smarter, more patient fighter who makes himself more attuned to the Force than Maul. So, he is a less fierce fight than Maul, but he is clever and resilient enough to find a way to win the fight anyway. In fact, I tend to think of that moment in TPM where he defeats Maul as the one where he really asserts himself as a character in a major way.

With Jango, I agree that he has his weakest showing. I think Jango's familiarity with the Kamino terrain and environment might have given him an edge, and some of his weaponry might have caught Obi-Wan off-guard, consistent perhaps with Obi-Wan being a warrior who relies on outsmarting his opponents.

With the first Dooku fight, I will say in Obi-Wan and Anakin's defense that they have just survived fights with arena monsters and then with battle droids that left many Jedi dead. The Battle of Geonsis began with a real slaughter of the Jedi, so to some extent it is a testimony to Obi-Wan and Anakin's abilities that they have even survived to confront Dooku. That being said, I don't really think it's either of their finest hours in terms of lightsaber fighting. But they were probably exhausted by the earlier fighting in a way Dooku wasn't.

With the second Dooku fight, Obi-Wan being knocked out quickly felt like it was kind of done for narrative convenience in the sense that I don't think Anakin would have killed a surrendered Dooku if Obi-Wan were conscious and I doubt that Palpatine would've even asked that, so to me this is a scene that shows how Anakin is most vulnerable to being turned to the Dark Side and giving into the temptations Palpatine presents when Obi-Wan isn't around or conscious to counter Palpatine's insidious influence.

With Grevious, the most important thing to me was that he found a way to not only survive a fight with an opponent who had killed multiple Jedi but also that he found a way to beat that opponent, this time in a way that required quick-thinking and tenacity, and those two traits really shouldn't be underestimated.

With Anakin, I think Obi-Wan is outclassed physically, but he triumphs in the end because he can keep a cool head where Anakin becomes very rash, and he outthinks Anakin.

An interesting fun fact about Obi-Wan is that he goes from practicing the more acrobatic Ataru style of fighting favored by Qui-Gon in TPM to embracing the defensive principles of Soresu. In the novelization of ROTS, Mace even pays Obi-Wan the compliment of saying Obi-Wan is the master of the classic defensive form of Soresu, making it clear Obi-Wan's fellow Jedi do respect his prowess as a warrior as well as his wisdom.

If you are interested in learning more about Obi-Wan's fighting style and how he was viewed by the other Jedi, I strongly recommend the novelization of ROTS by Matthew Stover. It's one of the most well-written Star Wars books I've read and offers some excellent insights into the movie.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think you are being a bit too hard on Obi Wan when it comes to the fight against Jango. You have to remember that there were completely different goals at work here. Jango was interested in getting away, he didn't care how. He could take as many risks as he wanted. Obi Wan, however, needed to capture Jango alive. That means that one can use eveything he has to succeed, while the other has to hold back so that he doesn't risk the life of his opponent, because Jango being dead doesn't accomplish anything.

This is very much unlilke all the lightsaber-fights, in which the death of the opponent may not necessarily have been the ultimate goal, but was still deemed an acceptable or even likely outcome. It's the difference between a life-and-death struggle and an attempt to arrest someone. In the former your opponent definately wants to kill you, in the latter neither participant is looking for the kill, though the opponent will take it if it allows him to reach his goal of escaping.

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    That's true, and an important point in my opinion. Different battle objectives can definitely change how the different sides fight, and we do ned to take that into consideration as you point out here.

naw ibo and Doompup like this.
  7. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Obi-Wan's secret weapon is his intelligence. In the films he's more often than not outclassed by his opponents in terms of strength and inherent skill, but he consistently defeats his opponents by outwitting them.

This is why he has such a hard time with Dooku. Whereas Maul and Anakin are both young, brash, and undisciplined, Dooku has the wisdom of long years of experience on his side despite his underlying Sith arrogance. Combined with his superior skill, this gives him a nigh-insurmountable advantage over Obi-Wan.

However, Dooku is still vulnerable to being overpowered and outclassed by a more powerful and more skilled opponent, which is why Anakin is ultimately able to defeat him in Episode III. Anakin's specific strengths give him the edge over Dooku, while his specific weaknesses put him at a disadvantage to Obi-Wan. At the same time, even though Obi-Wan's specific strengths give him the edge over Anakin, his specific weaknesses put him at a disadvantage to Dooku. This is how you get what at first glance might seem like contradictory outcomes to various match-up combinations between them.

8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @The_Phantom_Calamari Thanks for more good points and analysis. It's interesting that Obi-Wan is so adamant that Anakin join him in the fight against the Dooku in AOTC. Perhaps he knows at least on some level that Anakin's fighting style might be more effective against an opponent like Dooku? In a way, he would be right if he thought that way since it is Anakin who beats Dooku in ROTS once Anakin has more time to gain experience and hone his raw abilities as a warrior.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Obi-Wan during the beginning of the Clone Wars was tough. However, by the end of the Clone Wars, he was one of the best swordsbeings in the Order. When comparing him to someone like Plo Koon, a character I love in TCW, Plo pretty much didn't change much during the Clone Wars, but Obi-Wan was in many battles and his skill set advanced. Obi-Wan, according to these guys, could defeat Darth Plagueis, and I agree with them.

Hell, old Ben/Obi-Wan could defeat Lucien Draay. Obi-Wan as an older man is stronger than many realize. I agree with the people who remade his fight with Vader. Even if Vader hadn't been holding back in that duel, Obi-Wan would still have been a challenge, even if he would have been overcome eventually had he not become one with the Force.

The novel Kenobi depicts Obi-Wan with massive Force powers that I am not sure I agree with him having, but it's safe to say that Obi-Wan was a match for most fighters during and after the Clone Wars. In ROTS, he destroyed MangaGuards, some of which are known to kill Jedi. If you read the ROTS novelization, his skills against General Grievous are more impressive insofar as Grievous is portrayed as being just as dangerous as he was during the Clone Wars micro-series. I mean, if Darth Vader didn't have Force powers, Grievous would have a shot at defeating him, and that says something.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    When wounded and taken out of the game by Dooku in AoTC, remember Obi-Wan had been held captive and probably was exhausted, hungry, and thirsty - not at his best. As for fighting Jango, he was also fighting to capture while Jango was more than willing to kill Obi-Wan.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Obi Wan is prob. the only one other than Palpatine who could take out Vader in his prime. And only because of Vader's hubris.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  12. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    You're right about Anakin's hubris. Then again, Anakin managed to keep his hubris in check during his second duel against Dooku. And we saw what happened. If Anakin had kept his emotions in check during his duel against Obi-Wan on Mustafar, I think the latter would have lost.

Tonyg and devilinthedetails like this.
  13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I agree that I think it was Anakin's hubris and in my opinion emotional volatility that made it possible for Obi-Wan to defeat him on Mustafar. Anakin's hubris to me is pretty clear when he shouts "You underestimate my power!" and there is that almost possessed rage in his eyes that to me speaks to an emotional volatility that makes it impossible in this situation for him to think calmly and rationally as Obi-Wan can. It's not until the OT in my opinion that we see Vader establish that cold calm instead of being emotionally volatile as he is in much of AOTC and ROTS. So I think Obi-Wan being able to stay relatively clam in stressful situations and being able to think clearly for the most part helped him win a duel he would have lost on raw fighting ability alone since I think Anakin is in many ways a more powerful fighter than Obi-Wan as others have expressed on this thread.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  14. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    The fact they send Kenobi to deal with Grievous instead of Anakin, shows that how formidable Kenobi is.

Maul was a powerful and a very skilled fighter, who is trained perfectly by Sidious. Comparing Kenobi to Maul when Kenobi was only ready to become a Jedi Knight (not a Jedi Master) at the Naboo events wouldn't be fair. Maul took Qui-Gon down in lightsaber combat, Kenobi's own Jedi Master. Kenobi obviously had no chance against Maul even if he was rage amped after seeing Qui-Gon's death. He won via cheap-shotting his opponent, it was mostly because of Maul's overconfidence and due to underestimating the young Jedi, but Kenobi still showed his skills in that fight. Not a bad showing.

In Episode II, he becomes a Jedi Master and he faces with Jango. Jango Fett killed multiple Jedi Knights, we've seen it even in the movie, it was Coleman Trebor I believe. Jango is very dangerous and Kenobi still held his own and he didn't die.

Against Dooku, just like Maul, Dooku was a powerful Sith lord, and comparing Kenobi to Dooku wouldn't be fair even at that stage, since he only perfected his fighting style during the Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith where he becomes a member of the Jedi Council not only a Jedi Master. Kenobi himself said he couldn't take Dooku alone, and we can't expect from Kenobi to run away after losing Anakin in that fight, he still had to fight, although he held Dooku long enough to wake Anakin up.

The Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith where he becomes a member of the Jedi Council and he becomes far better, he has battle and lightsaber combat experiences from the war and he is determined enough to finish the war. They dueled with Dooku and they forced Dooku retreat together with Anakin. The reason why Dooku defeats Kenobi is because of him being careless about Dooku's Force abilities, he didn't lose a lightsaber duel to Dooku. He lost to Dooku's Force powers. Then he duels with General Grievous and he cuts two of Grievous' arms and uses the Force to overpower the droid. And then he fights with Anakin again, managed to hold his own which is something not even other Jedi Council members could do (except for Windu and Yoda), and then he defeats Anakin by using the territory. Obi-Wan is a very skilled and a formidable duelist.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    naw ibo likes this.
  15. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Huh. I must admit that I've never been impressed by Grievous. And frankly, I think Anakin could have easily handled him. I don't think Anakin ever had an emotional connection with Grievous.

Obi-Wan was dealing with a very emotional young man at the time. And if he had that much trouble dealing with an over-emotional Anakin, I can only wonder how he would have dealt with a more controlled Anakin - the same guy who took out Dooku. Yes, Obi-Wan was a formidable duelist. I just never regarded him as the best or among the most formidable.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  16. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    What I like in Jango-Obi Wan duel I s that is shown that the Jedi can be defeated by someone who can never touched lightsaber before. The good guys are not all powerful is something constantly shown in SW in general, at least episodes 1-6 an one of the things I like because it is out of the movie clichés. Everyone can be beaten in certain circumstances. Qui Gon was exceptional swordsman but was beaten, as was Dooku. In the duel of ROTS is Anakin who has all the advantages but is beaten by Obi Wan indeed because Obi Wan secret weapon is use the adversary's weaknesses (as The Phantom Calamari mentioned he is intelligent warrior more than strong one).

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think your examples fit all that well. All of the characters you mention were beaten by extremely powerful Jedi or Sith, in other words: someone of basically equal or higher talent (or wisdom).

18. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I'm not sure the talent in saber combat of Obi Wan and Anakin is equal. Anakin is the better swordsman but is beaten. Aakin beats Dooku who twice won agianst Obi Wan but then Anakin is beaten by Obi Wan.
    Nor the talent of Maul and Qui Gon is equal. Qui Gon almost broke the blast doors with his his saber not to mention his obvious talent in combat but still he was beaten. Maybe this was his weakest duel but Maul was young and more let;s say eager to win. This is also a factor.

19. Bodhran777

Bodhran777 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2019
    I think something to note with Kenobi's run-ins and loses to Dooku is the fact that Dooku was one of the Jedi's best swordsmen. He was padawan under Yoda, and studied Makashi style, something that was rare and focued on lightsaber-on-lightsaber combat. Given that, it's not unreasonable, in my opinion, that Kenobi would be unprepared to square off with that style, when it's so hard to come by, or a swordsman like Dooku. He was literally trained to take out other Jedi or Sith. Not to mention the fact that his saber style was curved, which can have an effect on predicting where a blade may go compared to a straight-hilt style where the tip follows where the hand points. The fact that Kenobi holds his own as long as he does is, to me, a testament to how adaptive he is.

As for Anakin defeating Dooku, I'd say Palpatine probably had something to do with it too, given how close he was watching his to-be apprentice through the whole fight. He even calls Dooku a necessary loss to Grevious when the general reports Dooku's death. It may not have been very clear if Palpatine had an unseen hand in the fight, but I think it's a possibility.

naw ibo likes this.
  20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I like the way it's established that a Jedi without a lightsaber is at a severe disadvantage compared to their normal level of operation. As fun as it is to watch Mace Windu defeat an army of droids with his bare fists in the Tartakovsky series, you really need that element of vulnerability in order to make the peril faced by the heroes feel real. It's like Superman being exposed to kryptonite, or Spider-Man running out of web-fluid, or Thor losing his hammer. You need that one thing that can happen that will immediately make you go, "Oh man, he's really in trouble now." It's a great device to have at your disposal.

And notice how this is always happening to Obi-Wan. He loses his lightsaber in his duel with Maul. He loses his lightsaber in his fight with Jango. He loses his lightsaber in his fight with Grievous. And it always works to dramatically ramp up the tension. It also serves to highlight Obi-Wan's ability to improvise and scrap his way to victory. That's what makes Obi-Wan's fights some of the best in the series. They're very Indiana Jones-like.

21. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Yet he is the one arguing with Anakin over loosing his Lightsaber in Ep II...Funny :D

22. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    "Besides your senses are not as attuned my young apprentice."

"And yours are?"

*cheeky smirk* "Possibly."

*loses Lightsaber*

"Not again. Anakin is gonna complain to me." :p

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    He’s extremely well balanced. He’s neck and neck with Luke in terms of being the franchise’s trademark hero. And I’d say Kenobi edges him. What Ewan did in the prequels was just fantastic, and the stint on Tatooine has long captured the imagination of the fanbase.

naw ibo and devilinthedetails like this.
  24. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Actually . . . I can recall a scene from "Attack of the Clones" in which Anakin had kept his cool. During the arena fight on Geonosis, instead of fighting against the Reek, Anakin used the Force to tame the animal and ride it. This was to show that Anakin was capable of rising above his emotions when the occasion demanded it. Like I had previously said . . . Obi-Wan was really lucky during his duel against Anakin on Mustafar and he still had difficulty with defeating his former padawan. If he had that much difficulty with a volatile Anakin, can you imagine the difficulty he would have faced with a calmer Anakin?