main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Offical Computer Help Thread V2.0

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Ramza Well is there a way to fix it?

For a bit more info it started shortly after I update and tried to play Battlefront II.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Probably not until more fixes roll out, sadly.

Well, short of tinkering with your system.ini file, but I don't recommend that.

3. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    It is only turns on once or twice for every hundred times I try, so if I can get it on I am screwed. Do you think if I brought it into guys who is smarter at computers than me they would be able to fix it?

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Serious answer? Maybe. That's sounding like a really bad issue and, yes, you should seek professional tech support.

5. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Do you know any other companys that offer tech support that is cheaper than Geek Squad?

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Check your yellow pages and DO NOT take your stuff into Geek Squad. Calling those guys amateurs is being awfully generous as I have had to fix too many of their mistakes for my friends and family. One guy had a laptop with a webcam in a bezel in the frame around the display. He took it into Geek Squad to have them do who knows what with it only to have them return it to him with a screw in the bezel where the webcam used to be. Save yourself the time, money, and headache and go to a local repair shop and preferably somebody with an A+ certification and has been around for a while.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I haven't installed them yet. I just unselected KB 2760411 and KB2760588 though. Hopefully they won't choose to reselect themselves.

Unfortunately, I don't think my nephew was so lucky.

8. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Also, if you haven't already done so, please disable automatic Windows updates. I do this with every computer (PC, Mac, etc) that I use and I try to update things about a week or so after the updates have been released. Now if you have a computer to test this out on before you do all the other ones then be my guest, but if it is just your one machine then don't use ANY automatic updates, the time and energy you save will astound you.

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    This. I let the updates download automatically but not install. Then I note the KB numbers and Google them for issues. It's saved my hide more than once.
    For those affected, if you can get the machine to start up see if you have a recent system backup prior to the update. If you can go back to it that might sort things out. I usually do a backup prior to installing downloaded updates so I have a fall-back point. You could also try to uninstall the updates.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Geek Squad has helped me with my computer issues in the past, but to each their own.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I almost never shut down my computer -- preferring hibernation -- so that Windows doesn't install updates without my express permission. I suppose I could also shut down without installing updates through the task manager, but w/e.

But yeah, that's annoying. Good thing I've not updated anything this week.

12. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Holy crap, I just updated this morning and then saw the list above and got worried for a sec. Went to check and luckily those updates weren't installed this time around. Phew.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like another update is causing issues in Office - KB2589275. This one downloaded for me but I'm hiding it so it doesn't install.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Thankfully that's one I don't have, but then again I'm on Vista rather than Win 7 so maybe that's the difference.

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Have any of these update issues been fixed yet? My dad's Win7 PC is offering two of the problem updates to him. Should I still avoid them or are they now safe to install?

Also, my own Win8 laptop with Office 2013 is telling me that Office updates are available. Of course, those updates are no longer issued through Windows Update, but rather through Office itself, and so I can't review a list of updates to see what's being offered and whether any of them have problems. Is it safe to install the Office updates on my laptop?

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I still have Office 2007, will these updates be a problem for me?

17. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Microsoft is *usually* pretty quick at removing and fixing updates which cause problems. If you're still not sure then I'd suggest getting the other updates and not selecting the ones which concern you. Office updates are almost the same, of course they will differ based upon version (Office 2007 updates aren't necessarily the same as Office 2010 or 2013 updates), so that may or may not be an issue. If you are REALLY worried then I'd suggest making a backup/disc image of your system to a DVD or a flash drive before you update and hanging on to it for a few days.

In my experience (15 years in IT), I have yet to run into an MS update which has caused any major problems. That isn't to say they are out there, but my method of waiting a month or so before even downloading them seems to work for me. As always, ymmv.

18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I am lock out of my iPod and never backed it up. Help?

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Plug it into the computer you first synched it with, the passcode can be changed.

20. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    And back it up sometime.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Possible defective updates
    KB2900986 (Windows 7)

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Luckily that one isn't on my list. I've made a note of it though in case it comes down for the netbook.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I'm in Vista, but I've still deselected it just in case.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Running into an unexpected hiccup with a Windows 8.1 PC. I'm trying to download Xbox One Smartglass from the App Store but the download remains forever at "Pending" without ever completing. I was able to download the app once, but upon starting it, it would bring me to a blank screen and nothing would happen. So I deleted it, thinking that I'd just try downloading it again...and this is where I've been stuck.

The App downloaded just fine to my smartphone (and works fairly well). I'm kinda' disappointed that I'm not having an identical experience with the PC version.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    1. What's Smartglass?

2. Ewww, "apps" on a PC. I have 8.1 but I don't use any apps and I buried the Metro screen to the depths of hell. Is there a desktop version of this thing? Maybe that'll work.

3. lol you bought an XBone. (Sorry. I'm mean.)

jcgoble3 likes this.