main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    are there any EC comics fans here ?

I'm thinking of buying some of the reprint collections , but can't decide which ones , they seem to have had many reprint editions . I like my reprints to look as close to the originals as possible , so color if they were in color , and I'm not keen on the shiny paper , etc.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not unlike what Grant Morrison would write.

Shado appeared in the Green Arrow/Black Canary from 2008, after Oliver and Dinah got married. She later reappeared in "Connor Hawke: The Dragon's Blood" mini-series. Also from around the same time period. She's appeared in the recent GA series as part of the DCnU, debuting in issue #21.

If you're not interested in anything else, then it would be. Otherwise, you can continue on with Chuck Dixon's run which picks up shortly after Grell's run ended.

Batman's monthly series does crossover with The New Titans for the five part story, "A Lonely Place Of Dying" which introduced Tim Drake as the third Robin. It's best to get those two issues, or at least the trade. The first crossover within the Bat books doesn't occur until "The Penguin Affair", which crosses over with Detective Comics #615. It's important as it introduces Harold, a minor character who appeared a lot during the 90's. The next one was "The Idiot Root" which was told in Batman #472-473 and Detective Comics #639-640. Followed by "Destroyer" which introduced the new look for Gotham based off of Anton Furst's designs. It ran from Batman #474, Legends Of The Dark Knight #28 and Detective Comics #641. It was followed by "The Return Of Scarface" which ran in Batman #475-476 and Detective Comics #642. You can skip most of those, but you should at least read "The Return Of Scarface" as it sets up later stories.

The Bat books would move into a big crossover with "The Knight Trilogy", a collection of stories than ran through the Bat books. "Knightfall", "Knightquest: The Crusade/The Search" and "KnightsEnd". Those stories were collected in a few omnibuses a few years ago. You could skip them, but a lot of stuff happens as the storyline ran for two years. In 1995, the Bat books were self-contained until "Contagion" and a few months later with "Legacy". Both of which have been collected. Another year's worth of self-contained stories "Cataclysm", "Aftershocks", "The Road To No Man's Land" and "No Man's Land", which ran for two years in the Bat books. In 2000, the Bat books returned to being largely self-contained until "Officer Down". There was a Batman centric crossover called "The Last Laugh", which you can definitely skip. Then it was followed by "Bruce Wayne: Murderer" and "Bruce Wayne: Fugitive" which also ran for over a year. After that the books were self-contained and the Batman monthly series was host to the twelve part story, "Hush" and then the storyline, "Under The Hood". Though there's a break in between for the Bat book crossover "War Games" and later "War Crimes". Those two stories you can skip.

After "Infinite Crisis", there was a crossover with Detective Comics called "Face The Face". The Batman monthly was largely self-contained following that arc until "The Resurrection Of Ra's al Ghul", which went through the Bat books. Afterwards, it returned to being self-contained until the conclusion of "Batman: R.I.P.". There was a two part crossover with Detective Comics called, "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" Grant Morrison was writing the Batman title during this point and his storyline continues into Batman & Robin and "The Return Of Bruce Wayne" mini-series. Tony Daniel took over on Batman and I think it was mostly self-contained.

As to LOTDK, yes, it was mostly stories that were optional. They were basically legends. Most stories took place during the first two years of Batman's career until issue #100, at which point they start to expand out to include the original Robin, Dick Grayson. He only appeared in a few issues, during the rest of the original volume. There were several crossovers with the main Bat books as there was only two main titles in early 1992. Later when "Knightquest" came out, LOTDK played host to a three part arc and then during "KnightsEnd", two issues were dedicated to tying into it. The next crossover with the main titles came with "No Man's Land" as the four main Bat books were used to tell the year long storyline, with smaller story arcs. This was also the last time the series would be used in that manner.

The only worthwhile LOTDK stories to consider reading are "Shaman", "Prey", "Venom" and "Terror". It's not required reading, except for "Venom". And that's if you choose to read "The Knight Trilogy".

If you have anymore questions, just ask.

3. narniafan

narniafan Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2016
    Thanks, darth-sinister.

Is Shadow of the Bat #89 included in Vol. 2 or Vol. 3 of the newer No Man's Land editions? I was curious because I noticed the description on Amazon made no mention of it yet Wikipedia says it is included.

Also, with the collections DC has been putting out in the last few years, are they finally starting to be serious about their comic lines? From what I've been reading so far it seems they were, until recently ... stingy at best with trade collections and even "Knightquest" didn't contain several issues of that storyline.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It was added in during the Complete Edition of NML volume three, which was published in 2012. Volume four was also given a Complete Edition. "Knightquest" was included in the omnibus of the 2012 editions of "Knightfall", but it was only "The Crusade" arc and "The Search" was excluded. This was done to allow room for "Prodigal".

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I recall her from the 1987 reboot.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Ultimate Clone Saga was really good (at least the freakin' Scorpion reveal was epic) and if they're doing it in ASM, I think the creators realize they have to bring their A-game because you say the words "Clone" and "Spider-Man", it can send longtime Spidey fans into a conniption fit.

I tend to bank a few issues of Slott's ASM, while the larger "Parker Industries" globetrotting this is a bit too Iron Man-ish, I still love the way he writes Spidey. And honestly the way Slott just writes feels very 70s style with entire monologues whilst people are punching each other and so very many thought balloons. It's a real throwback (and one of the longer books that takes time to read considering how sparse some other writers write). And I actually love his long-game plans which may not have the best payoffs but he's great at setups (and, honestly, how many superhero comics have great payoffs vs. the setup?) Anyway, the main reason to keep Parker all over the place really lets Miles Morales "Spider-Man" breathe on his own. And there's also Spider-Man 2099 which I do like but it's Peter David, however Miguel seems almost like an afterthought in the Spider-verse. Which is actually okay because David is doing actually a pretty dark revenge story, and I love the new 2099 redesign.

And while I remain steadfast in not going into Civil War II, there was a cover for issue #6 that seems tempting

[​IMG]

Take THAT, Hydra-Cap you big jerk! I'm sure Bendis will cover this in the "Spider-Man" comic anyway so maybe it'll be more up close and personal and I'll get to enjoy it there. Bendis' tie-ins to events are largely self contained, however, I haven't read many tie-in books to events that he's writing himself. But hopefully it won't be as egregious as some other tie-ins where you're completely lost without reading the main mini.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This first Green lantern issue was meh.

Black Widow continues to deliver. It's on par with Old Man Logan.

cubman987 likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week's haul:

The Mighty Thor 8. I almost walked out without it!
    The Ultimates 8
    Rocket Raccoon and Groot 6
    Doctor Starnge 9
    Civil War 2, Choosing Sides #1. Almost decided not to as I am not gonna get every title associated with CW, but oh well.
    Captain America 10, this should be interesting given the fanboy freak out over Hail Hydra, if it indeed addresses it.
    Bruce Lee 3
    Power man and Iron Fist 5. This better start not sucking.
    Detective Comics 935
    Action Comics 958, Has Doomsday become too much of a recurring villain?

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    EC published my favorite ever comic series. If you want recommendations, start with volume 1 of Vault of Horror. Despite the later popularity of the Tales from the Crypt brand, Vault was their flagship book and all of the best resources tended to be poured into that series.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Last week I picked up "Vote Loki" which I did enjoy because mostly it's such a bananas premise that I couldn't help but dig it. I kind of wish Loki talked a bit more in the faux-Shakesperian speak, just a verily, but it's pretty awesome that he's running for President because he points out how everyone is a lair. There's some interesting beats here and there, Loki changes to female for a few pages because his male form wasn't testing well with women, and some funny bits (he's eligible to run for President because, since Loki is a mythological god who goes through cycles of death and rebirth, his most recent form was born in the USA). The art is a bit more cartoon-y than I would have expected, it sort of looks like a Robert Crumb style extreme angles and proportions, but it sort of fits. Loki isn't really the main character, that is a journalist, but you sort of need someone to be a window and if it was from Loki's POV it would give away the trickster angle. Anyway, I can't see the book lasting much beyond the US election but it should be a neat diversion until then. And, hell, maybe Loki will flat-out win and we'll get Loki as the POTUS in the Marvel U. I mean, yes, they did President Lex in DC but this is a bit different because you don't quite know where Loki is going to go on any given bit.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Cap 10 had the funeral for Rhodes. Wilson gave a eulogy, Rogers was in the front row.

Thor introduces us to the 1% of the 1%. Fisk is there.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Here are the comics from my pull list this week.

Harley Quinn #29
    Justice League #52
    Wonder Woman #1

Mighty Thor #8
    Ms. Marvel #8

I'm excited about this news: Mark Millar Unveils New Black Female 'Kick-Ass' (Exclusive)

[​IMG]

Darth-Lando and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So far this DC stuff is ok in places but pretty much leaving me cold. I'll give it more time.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm mixed on it. Superman and Action Comics are pretty much what I wanted and the stuff relating to the Flashes is interesting. Rucka's Wonder Woman has to get over the hump of reconciling her classic origin with Brian Azzarello's trademark ****ing it up so I'm going to give it a chance to build. The other stuff is ranging from bland to bad for me, which sucks because that includes objectively best DC character Aquaman.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    More Kick-Ass! Yeah! Well, okay, Volume 3 was a bit all over the place but had a neat ending for Dave so going in for it as a "Legacy" character should be fun. And knowing Millar, probably someone wearing the Kick Ass mantle will end up dying horribly in, like, six pages or something.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think my LCS forgot to update my pull list because it looks like Batman #1 and the latest Tec are out, but my box was empty yesterday. Hm.

On a brighter note, I picked up volume 2 of The Batman Adventures, specifically because it contains the issue with my all-time favourite Batman story. So pleased, and very happy with the other stuff in there.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Unless someone forgot to pull those two issues, the only other alternative that I can think of would be someone wanted said issues and whoever was behind the counter had decided to grab those two out of your pull list box and sold them.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    For some reason i thought it would be a light week.

Uncanny X-Men 9
    Extraordinary X-Men 11
    Spider-Man 4 and 5. Somehow I missed 4 last month?
    And later when i go to bed this will be read first: Captain America Steve Rogers #2
    Penny Dreadful 2
    Inhumans 11, I only got this because of CW.
    Hyperion 4. I hope this is the end of the evil circus.
    Captain Marvel 6
    Daredevil Punisher 2. The first was awesome.
    Darth Vader 22

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Here are my comics from this week's pull list:

Dark Knight III The Master Race #5

Jupiter's Legacy Volume 2 #1 (Of 5)
    Sex #29

Captain America Steve Rogers #2
    Extraordinary X-Men #11
    Spider-Man #5
    Uncanny X-Men #9

Civil War II #2, get more into detail why Iron Man think Ulysses powers may not as what they seem, as there could be biases and side effects.

Civil War II: X-Men #1, I thought the conflict here was more fleshed out and reasonable here than in the main story line, as Magneto sees that Ulysses (an Inhuman) can be used as a weapon against the mutants.

Batman #1: I like this issue was singly focused on Batman trying to save a commercial jet from crashes in the middle of Gotham and noting he doesn't have super powers of a Green Lantern or Superman. The final panel does have me interested in the characters.

Wonder Woman #1: I read this a week ago and I don't remember too much about it. I think Wonder Woman is seeking the truth of her origin. I thought it was worth noting that there seems to be two ongoing altering stories. One story will be Wonder Woman finding out her origins and the other (IIRC) following the events of the Darkseid war.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Steve Rogers

I guessed that one right, the Cube girl changed Cap so he thinks he is a Hydra agent, all of this manipulated by the Red Skull

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    COMICS: Marvel Promises A New Status Quo With The Announcement Of DIVIDED WE STAND

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Howard the Duck remains above the petty politics of lesser Marvel characters, it seems.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I like this since it makes CW something less gimmicky for a film release.

24. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Surprised how fast they've replaced Rhodey

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Daredevil/Punisher 2 delivers again. I didn't care for DD having a sidekick at first but it's grown on me.

Extraordinary X-Men 11 takes from X-Men Apocalypse, infiltrating a pyramid and teleporting around within.

Hyperion is still fighting a circus, but there's an alien plant. So.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.