main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    [face_not_talking]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I do understand where you’re coming from but, and I swear this is actually an endorsement, Mark Russell wrote The Flintstones. He will understand the assignment.

JoinTheSchwarz and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Also:
    • Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles
    • Superman: Space Age
    • Not All Robots

Ramza likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Saladin Ahmed and Martin Coccolo are the new Wolverine team in September. I like the premise

I was thinking while reading Saladin’s Wolvie in Daredevil v.8 #7; how perfectly he captured Logan’s voice etc. so I am happy for Saladin.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I’ve been rereading Gail Simone’s Marvel works in preparation for her X-Men. Deadpool, Agent X, Domino, Hotshots, Variants… and goddammit I can’t wait to see what she does with Rogue.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Sort of update on my letter to Marvel Editor-in-Chief about offering my proofreading/quality control services, Marvel/Disney posted a Print Distribution job that includes proofreading and quality control of files, and working with printers, including overseas companies.

Naturally, I applied and included the letter I sent to the E-i-C.

---

Looking forward to Chip Zdarsky & Kagan McLeod's story in Skybound's upcoming Creepshow anthology. I haven't read Chip's horror comics yet (I know of Stillwater), but given the truly unsettling moment Chip wrote in Daredevil. v.7 #11 a year ago (geez!), I am looking forward to reading this.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    Jedi Ben and blackmyron like this.
  7. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I have all her X-Men and Deadpool material. She's a fantastic writer and notorious ****-stirrer on Twitter.
    Really wished the Domino series had continued.

Master_Lok and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The only "black mark" on Simone's record is the New 52 Batgirl series, and strictly as an underwhelming reintroduction to Babs back int he cape with some ill-advised and likely editorially mandated demands about what she should "be" clashing with Simone's high production value with the character before the New 52.

Her Marvel stuff arguably went more nuts than her DC stuff, in a great way!

blackmyron likes this.
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I feel like if you had a badly received run during the New 52 you should get a free pass on that one anyway.

10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I finally received my free comic book day comics.

Based on the haul, there was one excellent title, one decent and the rest were passable.

I am skipping 98% of Marvel’s Blood Hunt and this issue 1 makes me glad I am. I might read the Dracula tie-in if Daredevil’s role is significant (He appears in this free issue. Very glad Jed McKay is not writing Matt again) …anyway…

Star Wars issue was okay. Charles Soule has written better SW stories. Doesn’t make me want to read Marvel’s SW comics.

Hellboy / Stranger Things was okay. Nothing I would read again.

Gatchaman 0 was decent, but I will pass on the four issue mini series starting in July. I will read the Ken solo issue next month though.

Winner is Conan. Titan is doing a really nice job with their license; the creative teams adore the characters and glossy stock!!! I will be picking up the Savage Sword of Conan anthology because Patrick Zircher is drawing & writing a serial Solomon Kane story and I lost my stuff over his Kane.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Recent reads

Sandman Nightmare Country: Volume 2: The Glass House

Something about this second volume just doesn't work for me. The art is the same but I'm not as hooked by it. There's Thessaly, a character I am likely never seeing the appeal of, who occupies a good part of the story, but I care little for the others too.

The Night Eaters Volume 2

In contrast, this continuation is superb. The GN format allows the Monstress team of Liu-Sanada to vary the pacing neatly too. Art and lettering are excellent and it all flows perfectly.

Superman: The Chained

It isn't the same without Campbell's art but I'm liking Williamson's take on Superman and his wider world, particularly the relationship with Luthor.

Avengers: The Impossible City

Been seeing Jed MacKay's name for a while now but this Panini collection of the Timeless one-shot and first six issues is a lot of fun. For a tenner, it was a steal.

MacKay does a lot with the space available, uses both the characters and their histories well, to deliver an opening shot that sets the stage for a larger arc. Art is good too.

The Immortal Thor: All Weather Turns to Storm

Once more, Panini provide an edition I can buy without feeling ripped off by, as Marvel's one is RRP £26.99! The title invokes Ewing's prior epic, Immortal Hulk, so does raise expectations. Fortunately, Ewing knows what he is doing and supplies a suitably epic start.

A writer can't always use narration boxes but they are very suited to a Thor story and Ewing knows it, he also knows where to place them and when not to. Art is also up to the task of depicting a clash of gods.

Big, smart, loud and epic - this was a great read.

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Big Gwen week last Wednesday with Spider-Gwen: The Ghost Spider and Spectacular Spider-Men #3! OB from the TVA is Gwen's multiverse handler and First page of Spider-Gwen has OG Gwen getting her neck snapped flashback yikes . Last pages end with Spider- Gwen having visions of OG Gwen and then Kraven throws her off the exact same damn bridge so they really went there. Ditching out Gwen's Earth-65 seems to disappoint some readers (especially with Earth-65 getting a boost in AtSV) but I think Gwen ending up somewhere she isn't supposed to be and basically being haunted by the death of OG Gwen is compelling enough to literally the hook of the book. She's a multiverse cast away. But in Spectacular Spider-Men, Peter is married to Gwen so it all evens out. (although it's more of the bad guys read people minds and give them happily ever after, seeing Turk knock out Daredevil and then become Kingpin in like 6 panels across 2 issues is a trip)

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I am thoroughly jazzed that there's going to a final Long Halloween story to wrap it all up!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The special from a couple of years back seemed kind of definitive so I have no idea where Jeph Loeb is going with this.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The bank. He is going to the bank.

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    From the article, it's about the return of the Holiday Killer, and the 'definitive end' of the traditional crime families vs. the 'freaks'.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Dammit was Holiday Gilda or not FFS

Ramza likes this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yesn’t.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Gilda and the Falcone kid. Gilda was insane, killing the crime bosses so Harvey would have time for a family. The Falcone kid faked his death so he could kill his father's enemies. Gilda thought Harvey was continuing where she left off and stopped being Holiday.
    It's fairly certain that Calendar Man knew. He definitely knew it was two people, a man and a woman.

Ramza and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, more seriously, I’ll call it now - the big twist of this new series is going to be that it’s a hard “no.”

Last edited: May 30, 2024
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Remember that Calendar Man kept using both pronouns when describing Holiday. He figured it out and thus kept going back and forth. Bruce was so inexperienced that he couldn't see what Day was saying. Harvey figured it out that Gilda was one of the killers which is why he covered for her and took the blame.

I think it's more that there was more going on like in the animated adaptation. In the special, it started with Calendar Man being missing. He may have had a role in what happened.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I think it's clear that Calendar Man's motivation is that he's super-angry that "Holiday" basically stole his schtick (I mean, that's pretty much exactly said as much in the last Long Halloween story that came out recently)

There's also one really big loose thread from the earlier stories:
    Namely, that Catwoman has the Mafia ring.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So we have a 2 part animated Long Halloween and then you got Dark Knight and The Batman which are heavily Long Halloween influenced any other ones I'm missing

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Nolan films were influenced by it. All three. I think the Telltale games were. If we're talking about characters in general the list is a bit bigger.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The Arkham games, especially Arkham Origins.