main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Spiderfan, sorry to hear about your financial hardship. I know what you're going through. A few years ago when I was going through the same thing and had to sell alot a good portion of my Star Wars collection.

I hope you get top dollar for you stuff.

I just read the first two issues of Ultimate 3 and thought it was kind of cool. This is my first venture in the Ultimate universe, so I didn't know what to expect. I like that fact that Hawkeye is a gun toting avenger with a Wolverine-like attitude, but his appearance reminds me alot of Grifter from Jim Lee's Wild Cats. And I like Valkyrie and how Tony Stark is a drunk with a sex tape on the internet. Plus the Scarlet Witch, Prieto and Magneto thing is reminiscent of the House of M, which is cool. It's definitely light reading.

As for the Messiah Complex, it was good ride but lacked any real payoff. Now, I have to read the spin off titles. Freakn' Marvel! At least the release dates stayed on schedule, unlike the rest of Marvel's titles (i.e. World War Hulk and One More Day). However, I am pretty shocked that Professor X took a bullet to the head that appeared to be fatal.

Did anyone read the Red Hulk? Rick Jones?

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    So your first venture into the Ultimate Universe is the worst thing in it? I kinda feel sorry for you. Go back and read the first 4 trades of Ultimates and some of the early Millar work in UXM. That's where the best stuff lies.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I plan to do that. I picked up all the issues to that Ultimate Power storyline, but I haven't read of it yet.

Oh wait, I did read parts of the Ultimate Fantastic Four relating to the Marvel Zombies.

I don't if anyone else has notice this, but I really don't recall seeing kids or teenagers at the comic shops I go into. I mostly seeing adults buying up the books. The only time I've seen children in the comic shop is with their dad (who's buying for himself) or in May for free comic book day. Even during comic conventions, there aren't really any kids around. Do kids these days even read comic books? None of my nieces or nephews read comic books.

4. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Dont read any of the new Ultimate stuff. It ALL sucks. Read Ultimates 1 and Ultimates 2. Thats good. Maybe the first 40 issues of Ultimate X-Men. The first 6 issues of Ultimate Fantastic Four...you too will be outraged at Ultimates 3 if you read the series that they stole and ruined the characters of.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ Oh, so the Ultimates 3 is alot like Michael Bay's transformers. :p I'll see what trades are available at Amazon. I feel it's much better to buy back stories there than my local comic shop or at Barnes & Noble/Borders.

I was actually trying to avoid getting in to the Ultimate universe to save some $$$. I just happen to pick up Ultimate 3 for the cover art, and looked at the first page of the first issue and saw Tony Stark giving the business to the Black Widow (IIRC).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always looking for some good reading material on the train to and from work. Thus, my venture into DC comics. I've been basically loyal to Marvel, except when McFarlane, Lee and Liefield left and started Image.

6. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I'd say the Ultimates 3 is more like Jurassic Park III, or Episode I to the Original Trilogy, or Terminator 3, or the third Aliens movie.

It reads like it was written by a guy whose entire knowledge of the Ultimate universe came from skimming the Wikipedia article.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    What about Superman III or Batman Forever? :p

I checked Amazon and those trade collections are available. Thanks!

8. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I just finished Y: The Last Man #60

That was a bizarre ending for the series.

9. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I assume you meant Superman II or Batman '89. Yeah, B89 raped the franchise before there even was one!

Slimy!

10. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Superman III is WAY worse than Superman II

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ I totally agree.

I picked up the new Captain America issue yesterday, but I haven't sat down to read it yet.

12. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Superman III wasn't Superman. It was a Richard Pryor comedy with a superman Cameo.

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    What is New Avengers like? I like what I've seen of Yu's art, but I'm not sure of the comic itself.

14. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Its hit or miss (miss more often than hit) but its somewhat required reading for many events surrounding all of Bendis's work (including House of M, Decimation and Secret Invasion). The Art is meh really.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Pitty. I really like the free quality of Yu's line work from promo pieces, but maybe his storytelling ability lets things down.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I really not a fan of the recent art work in The New Avengers. As far as the story goes, well, the last issue was pretty lame as it was pretty much a domestic dispute between Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Dr. Strange is in another quest to find himself. But the confrontation between The Hood and his crew was pretty cool. Other than that, nothing new on the Skrull front.

EDIT: The first issue of the X-Force limited series was pretty good, as they try and make a permanent solution to the Purifiers thread (under the orders of Cyclops). The latest Wolverine issue is somewhat along those same lines, but instead of the Purifiers it's Mystique. That issue also noted the first meeting between Wolverine and Mystique.

17. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003

Ugh! I've only read the trades of this and it's keeeeeeelling me to find out what happens.

It's not a 'it was allll a dreeeaaaaam' is it? :(

Also, picking up my last stack from the shop next week before I go comicless for a month. Hopefully the new Runaways is in there. TOOK THEM LONG ENOUGH.

As for Ultimates - I only ever back-read F4 to get the Zombies backstory. All I can say is 'meh'. I was pretty disappointed.

18. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Prime, you read Ultimates yet?

It was Aliens.

19. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I love X-Force despite it having only a single issue. Its really demonstrating the storyline of x-23 who too often becomes a gimmick. It not only demonstrated her incredible prowess, her vast usefulness and repertoire of skills but went deeper into what her role is and why she was brought into the team (Wolverine feels at least some sense of responsibility that she has been treated as little more than a weapon and has done what he could to restore her humanity). Granted the exploration was brief, but in such mature and hostile company I hope to see more of her develop and the story with her further.

20. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    If you haven't read Uncanny X-Men 496 yet and don't want the end of Astonishing X-Men to be spoiled I would hold off reading it. Though I have suspected that this would be the outcome it was still difficult to swallow.

21. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Yeah, my friend and I were discussing this last night, and at first I wondered if I had apparently missed something in Messiah Complex, until she brought up what was happening in AXM. It would be really nice if Marvel could get all their timelines [I.E. release dates] correct, so this kind of thing didn't happen... [face_plain]

Also, is anyone keeping up with Secret Invasion? I guess it's this year's big Marvel event, but I have no interest in it. My comic shop gave me a free copy of Secret Invasion Saga which I read through (good back story on the Skrull's). Can someone tell/HTR/PM me who the X-Man Skrull imposter was?

22. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I never picked up the last issue of World Wide Hulk.
    I'm slightly behind schedule. :p

23. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    The only X-Skrull thing I remember is Wolverine was replaced for a short while when he was being Death for Apocalypse, who'd teamed with the Skrulls. This came just after the X-Men had been on the Skrull homeworld in the past and discovered a whole base where they were training to replace Earth superheros. But I think since this hasn't been referenced at all in the Avengers stuff that Bendis is completely ignoring it.

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Wasn't that oart of "The Twelve"? When Cyclops and Apocalypse fused bodies and became one? Yeah, that stuff doesn't get referenced for a reason...

25. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Yeah it was all revealed during Astonishing X-Men Vol2 (Whedon's run being Vol3) leading up to The Twelve.