main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official DVD Thread #2 - Changes Discussion

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TwiLekJedi, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    A great post. I look forward to the comments regarding this.

2. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    I just think he didn't even notice that when he did it. Your description seems to indicate that these shots are changed when the main action of the story is moving in front of them but not when they are just sitting in the background. This leads me to believe that he just didn't pay attention.

I'm really starting to yearn for the originals and their relative lack of glitches and things such as this.

I think his intent circa 1997 was to have windows similar to Coruscant, like you said.

3. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    Here's a funny news story regarding the original trilogy and possible future revamps:

http://www.maxitmag.com/mag-columns/eric-sandstrom/reel-star-wars/

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Oh, that one. In that case, I actually meant the "2006 Limited Release" thread, not this one. Sorry, but your PM was out-of-context, I thought you were referring to something I had said in that thread. ;)

5. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I didn't notice until someone pointed it out, but apparently the picture is darker on the DVDs. Is it just to go better with the prequels and get rid of that bright shine to the classic look, or what?

6. ShaneM_Jedi

ShaneM_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2006
    Posted here in error.... sorry!

7. lawnmowerman603

lawnmowerman603 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    Something I noticed the other day while watching the '04 dvds:

The end credits of ANH read "copyright 1997 Lucasfilm ltd." This makes sense as LFL did not own the rights back in 1977. Empire's end credits read "copyright 1980, 1997 Lucasfilm ltd." This also makes sense as LFL owned the rights back in 1980. What puzzles me is that Jedi's end credits read "copyright 1997 Lucasfilm ltd." There is no 1983! Anyone want to take a guess at why this is?

8. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2005
    ^^^Interesting. I never paid attention to that. Maybe just an oversight?

Regarding the earlier Bespin-related post. I've stated this on another thread, so I am repeating myself, but JW Rinzler's "Making of ROTS" book mentions the Bespin FX issue...sort of. In the book, it talks about GL reviewing the '04 DVDs during production on Ep.III. States that GL noted some scenes on Cloud City/Bespin that he wanted to "go back and fix" for a future release. Nothing specific stated, but it may very well be the "disappearing windows" that were brought up here in the past.

So, why not just fix 'em then? Don't know, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that the '04 set was a bit of a rush job--and ILM was pretty much up to it's ears in SITH thru all of '04/'05. My guess is that likely all FX/audio/color problems many take issue with on the '04 DVDs will get ironed out for the Anniversary set.

9. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Man, I remember when the SE's came out and people actually enjoyed them. These days they're the crapfests of SW

10. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    What was wrong with that? It's practically nothing!

11. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    I think you goofed on this one. I just rewatched the scene, that cut is definetely not redubbed. What he's saying matches his lip movement and in correlation to what Luke is saying. The only difference is, to mask that dialogue about Luke's father, they added a person in the foreground walking in front of the camera to make it seem like the footage wasn't trimmed of that dialogue. So no, Bigg's voice wasn't redubbed.

Are you sure you met someone who hated that? [face_thinking] That sounds a little odd...it's executed fine, except for the passerby in the foreground, which I'd never really noticed that it covers up the dialogue until someone pointed it out to me. Seriously. I can understand maybe having a problem with it, I've honestly never met anyone who hated that scene...that just sounds fishy

12. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    the only bad thing I ever heard about that scene is the astromech in the background jumps up a meter when the person walks in the foreground ;)

13. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I knew there was dialogue trimmed here, but I never noticed the cut, the f.g. person or the jumping droid! Fascinating.

I for one really love that Biggs is back in the movie. It's one of the SE bits I'd keep in my own personal version. We get to know him a little, this mysterious fellow (from somewhere near Boston, by his accent!), before he hesitates in the crucial moment and goes down in flame. We also get to see Luke's pride in having made it as far as his elder, more confident friend. It's a great moment, if ultimately non-essential -- the perfect scene that belongs in a "Special Edition".

14. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I made this pretty clear on my site. Slave I is too damn close to the Falcon, it's a miracle that it wasn't detected. In the old version, you at least see them go offscreen separately so you don't pay much attention to it, but in the SE you see Slave I right on the Falcon's rear end, and it just doen't make sense...

15. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Hmm didn't notice that. Let's hope they fix that.

One thing I'd love to see changed is the Ronto walking in front of the landspeeder when the troops are questioning Ben and Luke. Ughhhhh.

Ahh, ok. I guess it is a little close...but I'm not gonna let a little thing like that bother me.

I just watched it again, I didn't notice that the Slave I in Empire has the same sound effect from AotC. Pretty cool.

Yeah, it's definetely a great scene. It would make it even greater if the scene of them together on Tatooine would be insterted as well, but I think that's just wishful thinking.

16. MasterACyard

MasterACyard Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005

17. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I actually respect George Lucas for changing the ghost of Anakin Skywalker from Sebastian Shaw to Hayden Christensen.

18. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Yeah, that was a risk for sure. It didn't get too many panties in a twitch like the Greedo scene, thank god.

19. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    only because Greedo has had 9 years now and Hayden only 2. In relative magnitude, both were equally annoying.

20. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    That's an interesting point. Do you mean that the anti-Hayden-in-ROTJ sentiment among fans will snowball gradually over the years? Because with the Greedo scene, the unhappy reaction was immediate.

21. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I think most fans dont mind Hayden Anakin. Rather they dont mind the Idea. Like me, I love the idea of having Hayden at the end, but alot of ppl including myself dont like how Hayden is presented.

Esspecially that semi-evil smirk at the end. You can't end the saga with Anakin having an evil look on his face. He needs to having a loving/pround look like shaw.

22. Guy-from-Tatooine

Guy-from-Tatooine Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2006
    QFT.
    But then sometimes it's so obvious. Like in the scene were Leia looks out of the windows in Bespin. In the OOT the building from the outside does not match the inside with the roof windows and struts. Now they go for it, fix the building from the ouside including the roof struts added. So far so good. BUT in the next shot - it's incredible, guess what they do?!?!?!? They digitally REMOVE the same struts, they just ADDED on the outside. And to push things even further, the shadows of the removed struts are still visible on the floor and on the walls. This is especially visible, when the camera pans to the side. Why? Why? Why? Please try to explain to me the reason of such changes. I simply don't get it.

23. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    The smirk was before Yoda whispered "Psst. Light side are you now. Away put your grimace. Confused enough by your young appearance, your son is. Smile you must, or wink at you he will not".

24. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    No, I don't. Both reactions were immediate and equally loud. I don't care how many people think either way and neither can get worse.

25. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    TLJ Edit: That's too far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.