main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official "Fantastic Four" Reboot(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moviefan2k4, Feb 20, 2014.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Okay, so if Trank's Fantastic Tanks, and hard, let's say freakin' Lone Ranger sized bomb, why would Fox hold onto FF rights anyway if they've had multiple kicks at the can? Yes, they get the cavalcade of FF supporting characters / baddies (Doom, Surfer, Galactus, Skrulls, Kang) but if audiences reject the FF mothership that spawned them, why would Fox bother to keep the FF and make movies? Spite?

(I like the FF but I think they, and their supporting baddie cast, work best as adjuncts to the Marvel Universe instead of being headliners. See - the way the FF & Doom are used in Secret Wars. It's a very FF-centric crossover where Doom is the main antagonist but it cobbles together a lot of Marvel characters ontop of each other)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Because so long as X-men makes money they can afford to make a bomb FF film every few years. Why would they give the rights to Marvel? What would they gain?

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

I would assume if they end up with a few FF entries in row in the red they'd eventually think why would they bother keep trying to spend money to make FF a thing if the audiences keeps rejecting it? They wouldn't give the rights to Marvel as in they actually do actively hand over something, it would really be a matter of Fox doing nothing.

Like would Fox bother to make a 2020 FF movie if this one is a giant stinkero bomb?

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Nevermind. Ninja'd by BigAl.

5. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Because what if they get it right? They aren't going to give up their only other property, which they know Marvel desperately wants, for nothing. It's not smart business. They can afford making a bomb every few years to keep the rights. Unless Marvel offers them something they have no reason to stop making them, and by making bad ones they may make Marvel and competitors make less money as it poisons the genre.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's unfortunate that this movie will likely suck, because it's a really good cast. Even if most people don't know who they are.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Word. I almost wish Trank just made another original sci-fi film with these folks like Chronicle... the Fantastic Four they ain't...

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't foresee myself actively disliking Miles Teller & Michael B. Jordan's performances, I like 'em in everything.

9. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Speaking of Michael B. Jordan.... Have you seen the trailer for the new film he will be in Creed? I've liked him since I saw him in the The Wire and later in Friday Night Lights. Great actor. The rest of the cast for this film is good too, with the question mark for me being Kate Mara. I just can't remember what she has been in besides Shooter, and I haven't watched House of Cards.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Michael B. Jordan is awesome and a born star. I expect to keep seeing him in things. I also loved him in The Wire and FNL. Miles Teller is much more low key but very good. Kate Mara is a good actor as well.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Moderator star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Apr 27, 2005
    I've watched Michael B. Jordan since he was on All My Children and you could see the talent then. As much as I want him to be in a star - making vehicle... this movie is not it.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    See I'm not sure you get cool hipster points for having noticed his work first when you had to admit to watching All My Children to do so.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That's how I found I loved Sarah Michelle Gellar...

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

It's so obscure it goes all the way around to bonus hipster points, I believe. May have to consult a judge on that one, though.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    http://screenrant.com/fantastic-four-doom-fight/

When asked what audiences should expect from the climactic fight between the two sides [the FF and Doctor Doom], Trank replied, “an epic, massive, huge, multipower slugfest. This movie is big. A lot of stakes.”

I take it I'm in the minority here, but I think this film looks and sounds remarkable. This bit of a tease from the director only further solidifies that opinion.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But he was drunk for most of the time while filming it. He probably doesn't remember ****.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I just would caution you that his description could also be used to describe this:

"Epic, massive, huge multipower slugfest" does not necessarily translate to good movie. And based on every report I've followed on this film and every alleged and confirmed rumor, I have decided not to see this film until it hits Netflix or FX.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I hope the end battle somehow results in Ben Grimm wearing pants. That is the point I am at with this film... that my sincerest hope is for a plot driven necessity for Thing to put on pants. Thanks, FOX.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    When I first heard about creed, I was hoping it was an origin story- I is sadface disappoint

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Also, io9 commentator reminds us:

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    That's so Teller - always dragging when he should be rushing

BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Who cares about hipster points? You know someone from a soap, you know someone. I'll admit that I saw "All My Children" and "One Life To Live" since my sister used to watch it and there were times when I wound up watching it.

Yep, I remember when she was on there. Same with Brandon Routh when he was on OLTL before he did "Superman Returns" and "Arrow".

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It means they're going to Denny's after the epic, massive and huge battle.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's exactly what a hipster would say.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Moderator star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Apr 27, 2005
    Hell, Tommy Lee Jones used to be on One Life to Live. A lot of actors used to get their starts in soaps.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.