main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Actually I think you're right. I thought that was Lando but going by how he pronounces Han correctly it's probably more likely that's Beckett. Hmm. I guess that means Beckett could be the one in the gunner position and Lando is... somewhere else.

Satipo likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually, it’s about more equal representation and righting some wrongs from the past, including elimination of bad racial and gender stereotypes and terrible social norms.

So...100 percent about social justice. In my experience, those who complain usually find nothing wrong with, or even enjoy, terrible racial or gender stereotypes and the idea that white men are the default hero.

wobbits, unicorn, cwustudent and 3 others like this.
  3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That's what I was thinking. And if you listen, he sounds like Woody.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed. So I'm guessing Val and Beckett are in the two gunner positions. Han and Qi'ra are piloting then Chewie takes over for Qi'ra while she goes to help Lando. I bet L3 is dead by this point and Lando is preparing the shuttle thing to make a diversion.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I have a feeling losing L3 is what convinces Lando to officially get out of this life for good.

6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Nope, still not what that phrase means today.

A good example of SJW behavior is JJ Abrams saying that people who have problems with TLJ are just intimidated by women. Scoring points.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @11-4D : You know you sound like a man trying to mansplain feminism to a feminist, right?

“You may consider yourself a feminist but you don’t know what feminism really is.”

Maybe leave it to the people who support a cause to explain it, as opposed to people who oppose a cause trying to tell people who support it what they are actually supporting.

We know what we support.

8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Why do things around here always descend into politics and agendas being pushed and...oh never mind [face_dunno]

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They descend into such when someone posts that they hope there is no “SJW agenda” in upcoming movies. You can’t expect to post something like that on a site with a hate speech and sexism policy and not get any pushback, so don’t accuse people pushing back of “pushing an agenda,” take it up with the people complaining about “SJWs” in the first place.

Anyway...this cool post on the Star Wars Facebook page for May 4:

May the 4th be with you

wobbits, Amdrag, B3 and 2 others like this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  11. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    How else should one describe an SJW movie without saying SJW?

This movie is called SOLO I think it is fair to say that Solo should be the hero in his own story don't you? Now if we find Han is useless at everything and constantly gets belittled, would that not be a problem to you? There is no hate in what I said. I just want a good story and adventure that does the characters we know justice.

12. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  13. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    The use of term like "SJW" is intended to be demeaning and dismissive. Personally, I never understood the use of that term as an insult. I can't think of anything better to be a warrior for than social justice.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @Blackhole E Snoke : Easy. Just say that (general) you hope that Han isn’t useless at everything and constantly getting belittled the way Finn was portrayed in TLJ (or Poe). I agree with you there; I doubt there are many people who would not.

Blaming that on “SJWs” or “feminists” becomes the problem, because that’s not what feminists or “SJWs” stand for. Leia slapping Poe, Finn being belittled by Rose, were not “feminist portrayals.” They looked to me like strawman-portrayals of “feminism” by someone who does not like gender equality trying to explain to actual feminists what feminism is.

Also, the natural progression from use of the term “SJW” has been comments like, ‘I’m sick of female leads’, ‘Put that female character in some sexy clothes dammit,’ or some of the terrible comments made after John Boyega’s casting.

wobbits and Amdrag like this.
  15. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    He specifically said that in response to the complaints about women characters being in the forefront (weird complaint about TLJ) and the cut of the film that removed the women. At least I pretty sure he did. If that is the case, would that be wrong?

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Just saw a new TV spot and it definitely showed Beckett in the gunner position. It also showed both Han and Chewie being led out of the Falcon in chains and what looked to be Lando behind them in his Jabba guard disguise from ROTJ. I'd have to see it a few more times to be sure but it definitely looked like the exact same disguise. Strange.

17. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    My thoughts reading this thread now:

[​IMG]

18. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    The Solo poster has come out in local cinemas - taken when I was going to watch Avengers: Infinity War last weekend... Even if I was hoping that it would be the latest version actually!
    [​IMG]

Sent from MillenniumFalcon.888 operating system

whostheBossk and Amdrag like this.
  19. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think the biggest problem with the term SJW is that no one agrees on exactly what it means. It doesn’t have a long history of usage like, say: radical environmentalist, white nationalist, civil rights activist, or libertarian. Even very new political terms like “men’s rights activist” or “anti-racism” seem to have much firmer definitions. One key element I’ve noticed with “SJW” is that almost no one seems to unconditionally identify with it. As someone who considers himself a liberal/leftist, I think that it can describe both positive and negative aspects of leftist thought. In the below diagram, David Auerbach illustrated a framework for identifying leftist concepts along an axis of Trust (x), and an axis of Agency (y), and I think SJWism fits somewhere into the Moralist Cluster, maybe even in its deepest corner. I’d highly recommend reading his essay to anyone interested in online politics. #JeNeSuisPasLiberal: Entering the Quagmire of Online Leftism
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
  21. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Beckett in the gunnery position, yes.

Han and Chewie are taken inside the Kessel plant as prisoners (inside job) and that's Beckett in disguise as their warder. Qi'ra and Lando take on the role of Slavers probably.

22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    thejeditraitor and Trikuza23 like this.
  23. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I'm wondering whether L3-37 takes the droids away with her on another ship? All those freed slaves and droids must go somewhere and I would guess that those corvettes on the poster are actually part of the Kessel fleet (which they commandeer). Of course L3-37's free droid colony could always come into play somewhere in another movie....

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    PymParticles likes this.
  24. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    K2-SO was hard enough, how much more loss can I take?

25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I think it's great that they are touching on this subject. In every movie we have had examples of droids displaying 'human' behaviour. If they can form friendships, look out for each other, even have a vicious streak (EV-9D9 I'm looking at you), etc. then surely they are touching on sentiency? The freeing of slaves runs through these movies so to see it from the droid's point of view will be something new.