main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Vader in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Charon Lefleur, Jul 8, 2015.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't really care one way or the other; I just thought the "animation demanded it" reason was odd, like they didn't want to use eyebrows but they had no choice.

I think the bigger issue is the other one I mentioned earlier, about the damage to his mask and his whole... you know... dying without his mask.

Jedi Older Code likes this.
  2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The EU works written by Haden Blackman (Vader and the Lost Command, Force Unleashed) was pretty crazy about knocking out Vader's mask yet inexplicably having him survive. The Lost Command comic had Vader survive days without the mask just by using the Dark Side...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

EHT likes this.
  3. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015

Going by Vader Down, Lords of the Sith, which is canon. Who possibly could beat him up? This is not Kylo Ren here. This is the real thing.
    [​IMG]

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think that someone like Vader would be able to hold his breath for at least ten minutes, considering his training. Force users are well known to be capable of controlling body functions like heartbeat and entering a meditative trance.

However, the reliance of the mask is important to show his very human vulnerability that he tries to hide and deny. Even though he is a Lord of the Sith with the power to destroy anything in his path, he can never escape his body. Which is why it doesn't make sense to have him run around for hours without a rebreather.

But I don't think it will happen in RO anyways. We may see Vader sans mask, but it probably won't happen during a battle against rebels. I don't buy these MSW speculations that his suit gets banged up.

EHT likes this.
  5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I don't know how his suit works, but assuming it's similar to space suits and helmet breaches, Vader could have just used the Force as a barrier to keep the oxygen inside until he got it fixed. He did something like a “Force bubble” in a underwater episode from TCW when Padme’s helmet breached.

I don't think it's a big deal. I mean, it’s not like this happened:
    [​IMG]

Though I wouldn’t mind if this happened. [face_love]

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This picture is fantastic. I would like the idea of a reveal of him damaged or without the mask. But with it being so close to the original film I'm not sure he'll be shown damaged.

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    After the prequels did a lot of damage regarding his status as a badass, I'd rather they don't heavily injure him on his first movie appearance since 2005. ROTS already featured enough shock moments regarding his cybernetics.

Master of None likes this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I’m kind of hoping Rogue One gives us the Vader that everyone thought ROTS was going to years prior to its release.

Artoo-Dion , Darth_Pevra and Luke02 like this.
  9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I'd say that was undeniable confirmation that Vader can't survive long without the mask or a substitute that provides him with pure oxygen, what are the Story Group thinking allowing 'artistic licence'? Vader needs some vulnerabilities and being unable to survive long without his mask in an important one otherwise he becomes Michael Myers and that gets boring after a while.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree that he shouldn't be able to survive long without the mask but I think as long as the breathing apparatus stays undamaged (which I think it did in Rebels) I don't have a problem with him being able to seal the leak using the Force. If the mask was completely destroyed then yeah I'd definitely have a problem with him surviving.

11. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Of those seven Vader, is above. Wonder who he will kill personally? Krelic, choke, Erso-Chirrut lightsaber.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I reckon there’re at least two people on that poster Vader will personally kill.

13. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    chirrut is a goner lol. calling it now

14. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    he shouldnt even survive WITH the mask on. guy was inceneated in lava. i dont know but i doubt his internal organs should work at all, not just his lungs....how does he digest food? you cant live 20-25 years on a feeding tube unless your in a coma, not running around the galaxy killing people....so not really a stretch for him to survive WITHOUT the mask when its pretty absurd he's alive WITH It....

also in things like shadows of the empire he worked on focusing the energy of the darkside to let him beathe longer without it.

15. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hmmm, I know it's unlikely but wouldn't it be so cool if Darth Vader had a saber fight with Chirrut Imwe? And resulted in the Rebel's death after getting stabbed / mauled by the Dark Lord! :vader:=D=

And raefinnpoe, I remember seeing this book called "Darth Vader 3D Reconstruction Log" at some local bookshops, but didn't get to purchase it... Basically, this book shows how they actually reconstructed the former, burnt-out Anakin Skywalker into the menacing Dark Lord Vader!
    [​IMG]

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think Chirrut will confront Vader and put his faith in the force and he'll end up getting killed easily. Much like when Billy confronts the Predator in the original Predator.

17. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I'm disappointed that it doesn't sound like Vader is going to have a very large role. I feel like the saga has been about the Skywalkers, and this just kind of messes with me.

It will be interesting, though, to see what they do have him do.

18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    it's not part of the main saga, so there's that.

19. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    True, you have a good point there.

20. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    he has a larger role already then i thought he would. i thought we'd get a cameo of him at the end as he starts chasing leias ship and thats it.

21. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    "Vader in Rogue One"

Okay, you asked for it:

[​IMG]

22. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    *fans himself*

...oh boy. This is going to be awesome.

La Calavera and Darth Downunder like this.
  23. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Vader's back. Taller than ever before!

24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I don't think Krennic's attitude is going to get him far.

[​IMG]

25. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I want to see Vader force choke and kill Krennic at the end... to then be replaced by Tarkin.

themoth likes this.