main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just note if you buy the 4K you literally won't be able to play it without a 4K player. If you're fine throwing down $45 for a display disc, knock yourself out. But if you want a copy you can actually watch, get the Blu-ray. Plus from what I hear it has sweet bonus features not available on D+.

2. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    [​IMG]

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  3. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't have a Blu-ray player either, so whether I spend $40 or $45 it will be just for the sake of owning it so that I can watch it in the future :p

The wife and I will buy a house within the next 2 years, and that's when we will splurge for a huge TV and possibly a player, so that is probably the timeline.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Twice, not four times.
    1080p, which is more accurately called 1920p (horizontal pixel count is always more relevant than vertical pixel count*) rounds up to 2K (as in approximately 2,000 pixels wide), while UHD discs are twice that, at 3,840 pixels wide, so approximately 4,000.

*A show like Kenobi, with its 2.39:1 aspect ratio is not 1,080 pixels tall in HD, it's 804 pixels tall, but still 1,920 pixels wide)

Sorry. I'm nerdy about these things. :p

5. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    And you should never apologise for being so! I knew I should've double-checked my vague assumptions before posting. :oops:Appreciate the correction!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Don't worry, even people writing professionelly about these things mix it up all the time. 4K is similar enough to 4X to trick people I guess. :p

Bor Mullet and Happy Sando like this.
  7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    They do advertise 4k as 4 times the resolution though, because

1920x1080 = 2,073,600
    3840x2160 = 8,294,400

Even if that isn't always totally accurate.

If you have an at least decent 4K TV with HDR and some decent speakers, you can really tell a difference in both picture and sound. Even 4K on disc vs 4k on streaming is a significant difference to me, especially from things specifically encoded for 4K/HDR and object based surround (DD, THX, or Atmos etc). The overall bitrate is much higher on disc which means it packs more information into each frame.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  8. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Yeah, my self-defensive inner monologue is totally screaming, "Well, why the heck did they call it 4K, then?!" [face_laugh]

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'll give you two grand now, and another fifteen when we get to Alderaan.

10. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    In an interview from this year Padathon, Pablo Hidalgo revealed that George Lucas, loved The Obi Wan Kenobi show. And of his favorite things to come out of Star Wars since he left. He also supported the Kenobi vs Vader fight.

Last edited: May 7, 2024
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It was certainly as close to Lucas's sensibilities as one can get. Much of it felt very "George".

12. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Yes the ones people hate on is the one he loves like clone wars droids arc.

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Do we have any source for this that is not a 32 minute video that I found on YouTube?
    I don't really like Pablo Hidaldo, so I don't think I can listen to him talk for half an hour.

14. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Well the detail is in text on Star Wars Reddit leaks

KyleKartan likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea it’s literally just a text post on Starwars leaks. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised. The only projects that george has liked and we have heard he likes them to some degree is is Kenobi, Rogue One and The Last Jedi.

plus George’s favorite episode of TCW is a sunny day in the void. The man has an acquired taste

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I got the 4k disks and watched the whole thing again. I have to say, either because I have a new TV (Sony OLED instead of old Samsung LED) or because it's disk and not streaming, it looks much better than the first time I watched it. I complained about it looking cheap when it was first out; I guess I'll take those complaints back... Overall the series holds up really well. Sure there are some relatively minor weak spots (e.g., chasing little Leia down the forest), but there are many, many more highs than lows.

Speaking of little Leia: she's still one of the highlights of this series, and I'd love to see more of her. Quick, before the actress gets too old!

I agree with him.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  17. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    She's a huge Star Wars fan in general, too. I think a show about Leia beginning her double agent Senator / Rebel career in a couple years would be great.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The show does look gobs better on disc than it did when I first streamed it.

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Still a few weeks away from the European release, so I haven't seen it yet, but if the difference in quality between streaming and disc is like The Mandalorian, then it should look much better than on Disney+.

20. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Whats the quality difference on Mandalorian?

21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    The difference is that discs aren't nearly as compressed as streaming media, so the image is much cleaner, with less artefacts and noise, and just has a richer look in general. I recently watched seasons 1 and 2 of Mando on disc for the first time and it was just gorgeous, and you could see all the details so much clearer. It's like night and day. I can't recommend the discs enough.

22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I find the difference in quality between streaming and 4k disk to be greater for OWK than for The Mandalorian.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All the characters look like stuffed animals on my 4k version!

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    My OWK blu-ray has finally arrived. It's beautiful. [face_love]

25. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Sweet. :) I got mine on Monday, too. I'm saving it for my birthday in a couple weeks. Can't wait.

KyleKartan and TCF-1138 like this.