main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012

Korriban was like the one cool name in EU.

Happy to get rid of Mara Jade, however. Notice how just the other day I was saying what a crud name it was? Disney agrees. :)

Lucas might have picked Moriband. He was involved pretty heavily with TCW.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    That sounds like the kind of name Lucas would choose so I'm cool with it. It's a bit on the nose, but most of his names are and I've always liked them anyway.

3. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Moriband is sort of growing on me.

Maybe I'm just happy Mara is going so long. [face_devil]

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. That 3% of the films' target audience is who is being discussed. Correct.

5. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    "Arguably."

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Arbitrary number but I'll play... 3% of 100 million is still 3 million fans who spend a disproportionate amount vs all other brackets. In the course of 20 years they've spent billions on EU novels alone which is a fact stated by LFL back when the buyout was announced. We all saw the pie chart where the books alone was $2billion and video games about $5 billion both of which earned more than all 6 movies.

So your point being what again?

Apophis_, Jobertus and Vastor like this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That Disney, LFL, and the majority of Star Wars fans do not care at all about what you insist they should all care about.

8. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    [​IMG]
    The EU will never die!
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Krueger, TKT and 5 others like this.
  9. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Even that 3% will go to the movie, buy the merch, buy the Blu-Rays etc....

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It is a sad day for the EU, I spose.

I remember when I gave away my huge collection of books to this group home I worked at. The kids were huge fans and so excited.

Now they're probably in jail.

11. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    What you say is true Ryus, also it is more then 3% as starwars have the biggest hardcore fanbase on the planet.
    Since 76 the fans that care have put in a HUGE amount of money into lucasfilm.Ordinary movie goers will go and see the movie maybe 1 time and wont care the rest of the time.

Ryus likes this.
  12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I, for one wouldn't step foot in such a movie [face_sick]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    "Following the EU" does not describe anywhere near the entirety of "the biggest hardcore fanbase on the planet". It hardly describes a worthwhile percentage of those who go the extra mile and are nerdy enough to post about Star Wars on here. But, your hyperbole is noted.

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    contracted universe

Dra--- likes this.
  15. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Did that Hardcare fan base get pissed in 1980 that the Marvel Comics weren't followed when ESB came out?

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The bigger question is if the % of the audience that is children will see a movie with older actors.;) What if the children are also part of the EU demographic?[face_dunno] Surely it will spell the end of Star Wars as the EU loving kids will not support movies with older actors that they can't identify with based solely on age playing renamed characters. [face_worried] Disney, what are you doing! :oops:

[face_rofl]

Dra--- likes this.
  17. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    You are also assuming that everyone who bought up and read the books in the EU would be bent on the EU being disregarded. I have purchased, taken in and have enjoyed much of it myself and I STILL hope daily that the EU gets disregarded and that entirely new adventures are filmed. You are also disregarding the fact that there are many people who consider themselves to be huge Star Wars fans who have never read a paragraph of the EU.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I suppose this describes where I am at on this, as well. But, if there is no Jaxxon they have no respect for the money I spent 30 years ago.

19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I love parts of the EU and hate others. I am not upset that the movies might wipe the slate clean. To me, the biggest plus in wiping it clean is that all of the bad characterizations (of Luke especially) can be ignored.

**EDIT**

As seem in my profile pic, I like the art of DE, but I hated a lot of that story. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it for what it was. Doesn't mean I won't be sorry for it to go either.

20. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Disney must be outlawing the re-reading of said books.

Mange and Mystery Roach like this.
  21. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    The books had made $1.8 billion vs for example toys which up until then had made $12 billion. DVD sales alone topped that figure by $1 billion. And TheBBP made a great point! :)

22. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    This is what I've been saying. From now on, the old EU will be thought of as drafts or concept work. You still can enjoy it on that level.

The six films, Rebels and the Clone Wars will be the only pre-2015 items that are part of the single canon. Everything that comes out from 2015 on will be part of the single canon. The old EU will not be seen as part of the single canon but rather will be viewed as drafts/concept work that can become part of the canon in the future if used.

23. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    It hasn't hit the fan, I'd just view the EU as an alternate universe sort of like the new star trek movies. They are still great (most of them) books and stories and I'm sure new Star Wars fans will seek them out.

24. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not anti-EU for its own sake. I have 30 or 40 SW books and 3 boxes of SW comics (4 before I said screw bags and boards) and I've enjoyed much of that. I'm only anti-EU when it comes to movie canon, and I have to admit that it's somewhat entertaining to watch people's heads explode when it gets contradicted, especially on such a large scale as this seems to be shaping up to be. I've been saying all along that all of the old EU is going to be out the window in the new canon, not just post-ROTJ, and if even Korriban has been changed, that pretty much points to an across-the-board EU reboot.

And I'm likely to be a lot more accepting of every aspect of the new canon, since they actually have a story group in charge of keeping the vision consistent between everything now, which it wasn't before, if only because it was never a part of Lucas's vision and therefore the vision of the films themselves.

Dra--- and InterestingLurker like this.
  25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Shadows of Mindor gave the out for how to think of the EU. Think of the EU as in-universe holonovels and you do not lose a thing. They can be enjoyed as normal.

DarthBreezy and Mange like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.