main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Resistance Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Very excited to hear the news and I have faith in Dave Filoni. Very much looking forward to its debut episode this fall.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    They're not going to release promotional art that doesn't match the art style of the show.

That being said, one little glimpse of BB-8 isn't enough to judge the art style. Personally, as someone who hasn't been that interested in Lucasfilm animation, I'm waiting to see a trailer before judging anything, one way or another. I'm curious to see if the new art style will lend itself well to creating better flight sequences, because I thought the animation on the spacecraft in TCW and Rebels was rather slow and boring.

redxavier likes this.
  3. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    This is true. At the same time Rebels took place nearly 20 years after the events of the Clone Wars series and still resolved the story lines of a few key characters, and how they contributed to the founding of the Rebellion.

We may not get direct closure on many issues, but I'd be willing to bet that Filoni gets some things in there somehow. Perhaps just a few references that give us clues to past events. Maybe more. But one thing's for sure, he doesn't waste opportunities to use characters he's created if he's able.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Eh I'll wait and see. The whole "scrappy underdog good guys" thing has been done to death. Also knowing that pretty much all of these people will be slaughtered by the end isn't helping either.

Han Drolo, kalzeth and Snafu55 like this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    So is this show the next Clone Wars, Rebels, type show?

Seems abit of a missed opportunity not to have it focused on Lukes academy but hey

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Not necessarily. Remember that there are still people out there that Leia was trying to reach at the end of TLJ. A few of the members of Black Squadron were some of them. I imagine the people of this series will be within that group as well.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  7. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    This sounds great. And this fall? Even better. I was hoping the Silicon Valley actor was Gilfoyle, but Big Head will do just fine. Martin Starr could play a downbeat sarcastic droid, though.
    I'd be down for something that looks like that TIE Fighter short film.
    Daz Tibbles also has some nice work that would be a style I'd like to see at some point in Star Wars animation.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c9BzSsEtrs6vVW9voA8EA/videos

kalzeth likes this.
  8. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I like to think Dave has another project on the go.

9. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    People hoping for a cartoo...er, animated series in the Star Wars universe are probably going to be perennially disappointed. IMO, your best shot at a series that caters more to teens/adults will be live action.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The difference of the bridge between TCW and Rebels from this new "bridge" being created from Rebels to Resistance is that Rebels played out in its entirety; there was no abrupt ending/cancellation. Dave Filoni and his crew had a plan for how all of the characters in Rebels would meet their fate, and like it or not it was seen through to the end. We didn't get that with TCW. For all the complaints about the TCW characters showing up and upstaging the Rebels protagonists; you had to appreciate that there were many things left undone with the former series. If they're not going to continue what we saw in the epilogue of Rebels in this new series, I would venture to guess that it would still show up in another form; most likely animated. They could've put Ahsoka's and Maul's stories to rest completely in book/comic form after TCW was cancelled; but they chose not to.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I am looking forward to this as this will probably the closest we will get to a "Top Gun"-Esque show.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  12. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    Hmmm, finally some material from between ROTJ and TFA? This might be the series I was looking for!

Anyway, the franchise owes us 100 years of explaining of Snoke´s backstory.

13. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Prepare for Snoke: A Star Wars Story

Miras-Etrin likes this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not sure how Snoke fits into this. Maybe I missed something from both TFA and TLJ. Was Snoke supposed to be a fighter pilot?

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It could still feature Snoke though.

podjazd likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You mean as the antagonist in the shadows like Palpatine was in Rebels?

DaddlerTheDalek and Revyl Ren like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Perhaps yes, but I think the main one we will see is Phasma.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Would be kind of weird to see Phasma without Finn. The movies kind of established those two as a Yin/Yang duo of antagonist to protagonist; kind of like what Boba was to Han.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was just basing that off the fact that she has been confirmed for the series.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I know, but Finn isn't, is he?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    This is true. The air/space combat animation will have to be massively improved if they are doing a show focused on that subject. The slow moving, basic combat moves from TCW and Rebels would get very boring very fast. They need an actual combat pilot consultant, someone that knows air combat maneuvers, and how a pilot moves in the cockpit, how they control the aircraft. So the animators can show us throttle, stick and pedals use, that matches the action that we see. They need to aim for something that looks like the combat in The Sky Crawlers.

About the art style. Just from the look of BB-8 there I think you can tell that they are going for the Polygon Pictures style 3D animation. Look at all the little black chips on BB-8 and compare it to the flight suits from Knights of Sidonia.

22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I like it. This is where Filoni gets his Miyazaki on as he's probably wanted to for a while... Porco Rosso / Wind Rises / Nausicaa-style... I'm totally down for that. Just eager to hear more.

Definitely curious what's in the pipeline as the followup to the Rebels loose ends, but this looks very cool, and it's good to see some sustained narrative material closer to the ST timeframe for sure!

23. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I say give it a chance. While I wasn't a big fan of the animation style (it eventually grew on me) I was so engrossed in the stories that it didn't bother me. If you're a fan of Rogue One, the show at times ties in nicely with it. And you don't need to worry about other Jedi running around during the OT. The show doesn't do anything to ruin the OT.
    However I do have a few warnings if you ever decide to watch it. First, season 1 isn't that great. I almost quit watching the show because I found it very uninteresting. Season 2 is much better (especially the last two episodes). Season 3 and 4 were great! Second, you might get lost on a couple of story arcs if you've never watched The Clone Wars. Namely with Ahsoka and Maul.
    You can breeze through all four seasons easily. Each episode is about 20-ish minutes and there are only 15 to 20 episodes per season.

Revyl Ren and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  24. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Nani?

Anime-inspired can mean anything really no need to get worked up if you don't like 2D or japanese animation in general. That Tie Fighter fan-made animation was the first that came in mind to me- that is awesome at least. I think this more is what I expected Rebels to be... instead of Ezra Bridger and Wolves. I'm actually very interested in seeing Poe and others getting in their X-wings (and hopefully some other fighters and bombers as well) and blowing up stuff. I hope we will see more people like Temmin Wexley, Ello Asty, Nien Numb, Ackbar, maybe Holdo and Talissan Lintra. Holdo and Poe just might cause similar issue as Anakin and Grievous in TCW. They cannot meet face to face.... Anyway they managed to pull that off as well.... not very smoothly with all those Obi-Wan versus Grievous duels.... but anyway.

I think Rebels is only worth watching if you are a kid and new to SW or if you have seen The Clone Wars. If you haven't it is not worth it for the adult-viewer (unless seeing Thrawn on-screen is really big thing for you), best things were those continuations of TCW-arcs and cameos of familiar guys like Hondo. The show is however a good introduction to Sw-universe for the younger generation and enjoyable if you want to see every SW-related show and don't mind some "kiddie stuff" either. Sure it is better than Forces of Destiny.;)

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Perhaps I'm the only one here who wants the series to have as little connection to TCW and Rebels as possible. But I know that won't happen.