main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Resistance Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    From what I can tell by reading through the sourced website:

Children of Tehar - 108th most watched cable program (11.4.18)
    Rating: .08 - Out of all the TV's on in the United States, .08% of the viewing population between the ages of 18-49 were watching the show live.
    Estimated total of 417,000 people over the age of 2 watched live.
    *In comparison, 2.07% of the viewing population between the ages of 18-49 watched Walking Dead, Estimated total viewers 5,414,000.

Signal from Sector Six - 86th most watched cable program (11.11.18)
    Rating: .10 - Out of all the TV's on in the United States, .10% of the viewing population between the ages of 18-49 were watching the show live.
    Estimated total of 412,000 people over the age of 2 watched live.
    *In comparison, 2.02% of the viewing population between the ages of 18-49 watched Walking Dead, Estimated total views 5,396,000.

So, while less people overall watched Signal from Sector Six, than Children of Tehar, a higher percentage of the viewing population between the ages of 18-49 watched Signal from Sector Six live than did Children of Tehar. Very little change week to week and less people were watching TV on the 11th than were on the 4th.

I would imagine that Disney is less concerned with the rating than they are the total viewership. I also would imagine that Disney will go the Netflix route when it comes to their upcoming streaming service and won't be releasing viewership information. However, they will have to release subscriber numbers, and that will be the total universe, instead of the number of people 2 or older in U.S. TV Households (~118.4 Million) that the current Nielsen Model is based on (~301.7 Million U.S. TV watching population) per 2016 numbers.
    https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/nie...-tv-homes-estimate-first-time-2-years-173157/

In comparison with Netflix, Disney will have to make a decision if they are going to launch globally or not.
    Netflix - US: 56.71 Million
    Netflix - International: 68.29 Million
    Netflix - Global: 125 Million
    https://www.recode.net/2018/1/22/16920150/netflix-q4-2017-earnings-subscribers

The first year will be interesting for Disney+.
    Netflix didn't launch their streaming service until 2007 when they already had ~7.5 Million Subscribers
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/272551/subscribers-of-netflix-since-2001/

If Resistance is pulling ~410,000 viewers live, it would be interesting to see total viewers over the course of 30 days. Would Disney be able to reach an audience of that size if the show was moved to their streaming service? Will Disney be able to secure 2+ Million subscribers in the first year?

CBS All Access, the "newest" streaming service just hit 2.5 Million subscribers after 4 years (launched in October 2014). They want to have 8 Million by 2022 (8 years post launch).
    https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/cbs-all-access-reports-2-5-million-subscribers

What is Disney going to consider a "hit" with The Mandalorian, Cassian Andor Case Files, and Clone Wars (not to mention the Marvel and Pixar content) vs the viewership they could have by throwing it on their cable channel? Will future seasons of Resistance move to Disney+ or will it be able to keep people coming back to their cable bundle to watch the show?

La Calavera, MrDarth0 and Outsourced like this.
  2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    It seems that Resistance is for now the highest rated show in Disney channel (I think?). It's a bit lower in ratings compared to Rebels S01 in the same period, but not too low.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  4. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    Just watched Synara's Score. I'm being drawn in more and more each episode. I'm sure I'll finish watching the full first season now, and will most likely watch at least he beginning of Season 2 (assuming there is one).

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Unsurprisingly, the show is getting better.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    My main issue on the characters is that by this time I would prefer them to come together.

Kaz and Neeku are OK....but Tam and Yeager are still not all that close to Kaz. Not to mention that the Aces are pretty much just window dressing for the show who rarely show up but seem to be talked about a lot.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I've gotten tired of TV shows with cluttered narratives with a billion characters that all have arcs and mini-arcs. It takes extraordinary skill to get that sort of thing right (such as in Game of Thrones), and most shows fail at it. In that context, the more streamlined approach of Resistance is kind of refreshing.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  8. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I would really just like to see Team Fireball start to come together.

9. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Team Fireball already feels pretty close, especially after Synara’s Score. Yeager and Kaz bonded (in action), Tam and Kaz had scenes together. Neeku and Kaz are already pretty good friends. The relationship I want to see develop more is Torra and Kaz. The “Secrets and Holograms” episode will remedy this, though. I’m liking the build up of the relationships. They haven’t had every all friendly and knowing each other right out of the gate and letting it unfold naturally. And we’ve got 22 episodes this season. Still 14 more episodes to go this season, with plenty of time to build up characters and their relationships.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    will the show pick up again in January or wait until like Feb or March? Or, horrors, in the summer? Next fall?!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  11. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Kaz is still a spaz (and incompetent mech) who is getting grief from Tam...and the Fireball has not lifted off....this relationship needs a lot of work...I want to see Tam actually mentoring Kaz in mechanics...and even if Tam is a good racer I would like to see Kaz mentoring Tam in piloting from a trained combat pilot stand point. I envision a scene where the Fireball is ready to go and Kaz is all nervous as he is running Tam (who is flying it) thru the pre-flight and warning against pushing too hard on a maiden flight and things like that. Sure they can still go back and forth but it is all banter....I want the underlying sense throughtout all 4 (5 ot 6 with bucket and BB) to be a unity.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  12. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I was hoping the aces would appear more prominently than this. It's a shame that the characters I was looking forward to most have little to no appearances going into episode 9 when they were made out to be major characters in the beginning.

13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    This is another issue I have...interaction between the 'factions' on The Colossus. The Aces, Team Fireball, Aunt Z and Bolza, other racers. Show some rivalries (friendly and otherwise) have people in and out of Aunt Z's (even the Aces slumming on occasion).

Merric likes this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    that surprises me with the 10PM Timeslot on a Sunday. the show is geared for 10 year old's what ten year old is up at 10PM on a Sunday on a school night. my nephew is 10 he gets to watch The Simpsons and Bobs Burgers at 8:00PM and 8:30PM then his mom tells me and my dad to send him straight to bed. I really like the show and feel its getting better but compared to The Clone Wars and Rebels Resistance is still for a younger audience for kids. I actually look at Freemakers and its prequel All-Stars as for older audiences then Resistance and Freemakers and All Stars are funnier then Resistance the jokes are way better!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Must mean not everyone watches the show at 10pm...Because in this day and age, you don't have to watch a show right when it airs.

Also, I don't see how Freemakers and All Stars are for an older audience. Resistance is definitely aimed at young people, but it tackles much more mature themes than those other shows.

16. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I am watching Resistance during the day on the website.

Freemakers does seem to do romance better than the canon shows. Zander gets Becky at the end and Pace and Lena get each other. Rebels couldn't even show Kanan and Hera kiss til the end and then Jacen shows up in the epilogue.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    But when do you think most watch, During the original airing, during repeats or streaming and on-demand somewhere? If I was to guess I would say most watch on original airing but I could be wrong on that.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No idea, but I certainly don't! I usually catch it on the app. Earlier than it airs on TV. And I imagine others watch it later.

19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think there's probably quite an even distribution between live views, recordings, and streams (legal and otherwise).

20. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    This is an okay show, but I am not digging the slow burn. They need to get the plot moving. Kaz should already be racing at this point. Also, more aces please! We've seen Torra, what, twice? The Rodian guy once, and none of the others have had even a line of dialogue. The racing should be framework of the show until we get to the war, but it's taking way too long to get there.

Blackhole E Snoke and cwustudent like this.
  21. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Freya has had a few lines...but only in the cockpit on missions.

We need to see interactions between people and see relationships built. And Kaz gets no respect.....not even from droids.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  22. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Ironic bcs its a racing show. "Oh wait, little [Resistance] has stalled!"

[​IMG]

Theo333 likes this.
  23. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Ehh... to me the many pots on the backburner are why I keep watching. I don't mind some characters waiting in the wings having their various mystiques built up. Some folks have mentioned that they were impatient for things to get moving and off Lothal in REBELS S1, but later missed that earlier vibe and saw it as integral to the relationships in the show as they later developed. The same thing seems true here... if anything, I sense a more cogent longterm plan here, as the threads with the FO and the Aces seem to be going somewhere, whereas REBELS felt like it jumped horses and rebooted its direction somewhat arbitrarily from season to season (and worked out fine in any event).

Bor Mullet and Darth Kickass like this.
  24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I think its doing pretty good if you ask me. Me, well, there are days that I like it and days that I don't, but if there is one thing about a star wars canon animation show is that its like wine. The older it gets the better it tastes. It happened with TCW and Rebels.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. My favorite parts of films and TV shows are often the slow build ups at the beginning. They often feel the most authentic, while later stages and finales can often feel forced.