main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Resistance Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I fell off somewhere in season 2

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Same. It’s feeling like an obligation.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think I’ll enjoy it. Probably won’t hate it. Just won’t like it, but if I don’t watch it I will feel like I am missing something

themoth likes this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I might give this a show a shot and play this on Fridays in place of The Bad Batch after it ends this week. Drop by and drop WOTs in here on my thoughts. I've got a high tolerance for stuff that is lame and campy so the negativity toward Resistance draws me to it.

5. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I pretty much forced myself to finish this show only because its SW. There were some moments and episodes I enjoyed, almost always the ones that were connected to the ST movies, but overall it was a fairly boring show. The animation was beautiful though and I loved all the dogfights.

Konrad Pietrzak likes this.
  6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't suppose there are any takers to start watching or do a re-watch so I don't have to worry about being the only one slamming this thread every week?

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am down for it.

8. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021

There is a lot of filler, especially towards the beginning. But it does get better as the stakes increase. Vinyisshadow did a good overview of the episodes to skip if you don't want to watch the whole season.

Anyway, I'm nearly done with season 2. I'll post my thoughts after I watch the finale.

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Watched the first two episodes together like one big premier to get my weekly fix of Star Wars animation. The withdrawal is setting in. So far this is slow and slightly lame but it's an okay cartoon when compared to the correct standard. The idea of a fairytale land for the best pilots in the galaxy which is basically the Star Wars version of Lakeland Florida right down to the truckstops is funny as hell (Yes, I know it's a platform). I guess it makes sense for First Order pilots to hide there, like trees in a forest.

Guys, this is a cartoon show. It's not fair to straight-up compare this show to Rebels or The Clone Wars which are real western action animated shows wrapped in CGI that fit how serious they are. Comparing Resistance to Rebels is like comparing the Ducktales Reboot to Rebels even if both have linear continuity and man of action cartoon aspects it is still completely apples to oranges. And, the Ducktales Reboot's premier was much better than this.

This is immediately apparent with how the characters introduced are geared for exaggerated comedy. Jerak was my favorite easily just for being the surprisingly normal Mission Control guy. And, he doesn't even want anything to do with the over-caffeinated, presumptuous, dumbass spy kid Poe Dameron dropped on him. Like I guess if any Star Wars character is going to run away with the Adults are Useless trope it's Poe. But it's comically stupid for Poe Dameron to leave Kaz alone and unsupervised at a truck stop. The latter immediately starts a bar fight and seems like he would make a wager on his own underwear. Man, Kaz is really over the top stupid so far. And not in an endearing way to like sometimes happens with shonen protagonists. I hope he gets better. Neeku has potential with his aspirations of wanting to be friends with the greatest pilot to live in the nicest tower but is played for laughs as literally too nice. The barkeep gives me a new appreciation for Cid.

The animation is really different, not bad but a fit for a show like this. Character facial animation is expressive which is a good thing because a lot of time is spent in facial close-ups. Can't think of a western show it compares to. Only anime by Orange Animation Studio really looks much like this. The short dog fight was really cool at the beginning and the air racing was a really cool idea. Talk about straight out of a video game, like Bravo Air Racers on the PSOne.The Fireball had winglets even which made the design cool. Air races are something I'd like to see again in animation. Hell, it would be cool to see an aerobatic competition in Star Wars. Come on, make it happen The Bad Batch. I can just imagine the ridiculousness of the Marauder tumbling from the sky doing a flat inverted spin.

I can see why The Resistance got a lot of negativity going from two high-end animated series to something that's seems meant to be just a funny cartoon and more the norm in Western Animation. And here we are with another high-end animated series The Bad Batch. I don't know if that's what The Resistance was intended to be or if it's supposed to be a cartoon like the Ducktales Reboot. This came out close to a year later. Looks like there is something evil afoot at the end of this 2 parter. Hopefully, things get less cartoony. There is room for a genuine action cartoon in canon if it's good. The Genndy Clone Wars is an example of what that should look like.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  10. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Resistance uses an artstyle similar to Tron: Uprising and like that show, it ended prematurely just as things were getting interesting

Uprising also had racing and espionage, funnily enough, and I highly recommend giving it a looksee, since it's on Disney+

11. Darth Baga

Jul 21, 2021
    I watch the second season of Resistance. Like the first season, it meanders a bit too much early on. Some of the episodes surrounding stuff like food/fuel shortages and pirate curses were really uninteresting. But the episodes surrounding Tam -- particularly those towards the end of the season -- were quite captivating.

I'd be as bold as to say that Tam's defection from the First Order was more convincing than Finn's and even Agent Kallus' in the Sequel Trilogy and Rebels, respectively. Because Kaz and Yeager kept her in the dark about their role in the Resistance, she was given relatively understandable reasons for turning to the First Order. I liked how she sought nonviolent means of escaping the First Order after growing disillusioned with them. And I liked how this was a gradual process involving a lot of inner conflict, not something done on a whim or behind-the-scenes.

It's a shame that the show was cancelled so soon. I'd have loved to see Tam's role in the Resistance. Plus it would have been nice to see Kaz and Neeku mature a bit.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I can see similarities between Tron: Uprising in what they are about. The animation type may be similar but the Tron animated series has more style in my opinion. Because of that, they don't look similar. I've heard Tron: Uprisings' cancellation was the result of an all-star cast that didn't have time to record for it.

Anyways... Double Dark, Double Shot? It's like "Evil Plans" in TCW taking the Rocko's Modern Life approach to simple things turning difficult. This combines with the zanier aspects of "Fighter Flight" in Rebels' supply run with the lucky rabbit's foot MacGuffin. The animation does a great job populating the streets with a variety of characters moving around. The Aleena running a small gang of mooks trying to collect on Kaz was the best part.

It's debatable if the trophy is bad luck because Kaz stumbles into trouble like it is magnetically attracted it to him. Kaz is still pretty early in his development but just doesn't have much going for him other than being comically dumb which lets BB8 be like Brain in Inspector Gadget. I mean sure he's been sent to spy but the compulsive lies he makes up as he goes and trying to seem cool just get him into more trouble until he finally stumbles into a good idea. Can't blame everyone else for being fed up with him.

The random pirate attack was cool enough and then there was a tease at the end so I think things will get more exciting. This would be like a 5 if I was going to rate it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Vinylshadow likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Intresting details on what if Asajj Ventress lived into the sequel trilogy.

14. Darth Baga

Jul 21, 2021
    I never read Dark Disciple, so I'm a little fuzzy on what happened to her after The Clone Wars. I think she and Quinlan Vos died? But I think it would have been really cool to see her return to the shows.

She became disillusioned in the Sith and CIS after Dooku betrayed her. As such, it would have been interesting to see her mature into a sage-like figure, although not necessarily a Jedi. Even TCW shows parallels between her and Ahsoka.

15. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Really insightful interview
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  16. Vinylshadow

Sep 3, 2017
    I'd love to see that lead-up to the Battle of Exegol from the everyman's point of view
    Might not redeem the era, but at least it'd be something new

17. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    So, nothing about Kaz's family would have been thought up/written? Really? After all that build-up with Kaz's father possibly being in the First Order? Why even make him like that if you're never going to write for him?

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    As much as I really admired Ventress' character overall, I think the notion of bringing her back in a post-OT setting would be too controversial for the fandom overall. Dark Disciple is regarded as canon; and if she was revived than that entire story gets thrown out the window. And the story itself was initially supposed to be a TCW episode/arc.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Starting my rewatch today.

whostheBossk and my kind of scum like this.
  20. Vinylshadow

Sep 3, 2017
    It's the same argument as "What's the point of the Prequel Era if we already know the fates of the characters introduced in it?"

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    But there's a difference; characters introduced in the Prequel Era for the most part have had their fates resolved in canon. And the "origin" stories of characters in the OT Era follow their established story, for the most part. In which venue was a character's story/fate completely changed from PT to OT?

TetsuAero and CampOfSorgan like this.
  22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    There are quite a few interesting ideas on what makes a pilot never mind being a great one in this franchise. "Resistance" sets the bar at surviving. I laugh thinking what the response might have been if instead of the "Did you know flying is a feeling?" thing... Omega told Tech and the others she learned flying is about surviving it from Hera.

Kaz is still summed up as walking over the top accident who does what he wants. There are at least 3 times each episode he'd be dead if BB8 wasn't his Brain, perhaps literally. "Fuel for the Story" is a run-of-the-mill story about a naive guy meeting the cool kids A.k.a Rocket Power and getting used. And worse the cool kids are about a smart as he is so it's more like when Butters hangs out with the Vamp Kids in South Park. It's no wonder Yeager gets fed up with him. And looks like there is a backstory incoming on that one.

But that alone provides a little depth to his character. Kaz is mentally a kid even though he's a pilot and all this stuff. That's evident from wanting to watch racing before anything else. He's been pushed into a job he's not suited for. Not every driver is an auto mechanic after all. And he's been pushed into spying. Kaz said he wants to save the galaxy. He's a nice guy but that just doesn't seem like what he really wants.

It's funny watching things just wander over the edge of the platform. Actually, this one was pretty funny 7/10. This was the best episode so far rating against the others.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Seems like Filoni vetoed the good ideas that probably would've made Resistance somewhat watchable and memorable. He dropped Jedi and TCW characters all over Rebels and The Mandalorian. He's kinda an oddball many times to be honest imo. As for Mika that character started off kinda interesting and then was flatlined soon after, became like a stock gypsy fortune teller character or something.

They ignore the neo-canon books when it suits them still or even animation, so its not that farfetched really.

I supposed she could've faked her death and went into that meditation-stasis like state from the EU on how she faked her death to the Jedi.

24. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Pablo Hidalgo
    @pabl0hidalgo

I don't know of any plan beyond season 2, and I don't see how it would have been possible. Season 2 was written from Sept 2017 to summer 2018. By then, it was clear we wouldn't be able to find out enough about IX from Bad Robot to connect, and Disney+ became a priority...

... most of the Resistance crew moved onto The Clone Wars to get that ready for streaming, which became more important at that time than cable.

There was talk about a Ventress-like character, but not literally Ventress. That became Mika Grey. Her name is a sort of rhyming nod to Nika Futterman.

Here's that animation timewarp I've mentioned before. The first episode of Resistance aired on Oct 7, 2018. The date on the first draft of the final episode ("The Escape, Part Two") is September 18, 2018.

oh, it's more that they had their hands full given their compressed schedule of making IX and the long lead times of animation required concrete answers for things still being made! You'll note the VII Journey content all took place closer to VI for similar reasons.

Without knowing how IX was gonna land (Abrams and Terrio only started in Sep ‘17 as well) it seemed unwise to connect the Colossus story to the larger war so the focus naturally turned to getting Tam’s story resolved. That was the end goal. And i think the show is better for it.

And in an unexpected twist it was easier to get Resistance content into IX than the other way around: ships into the end battle.

I'm pretty sure the Emperor's message idea came way too late to incorporate into the series. The last episode was locked summer of 2019.

Anyway, it was about Resistance, not Rebels. And yeah, in 2017 there was a big emphasis on prioritizing streaming, which ended up working out pretty well.

Steven “Vaxxed Man” Melching
    @stevenmelching

I think we always wanted to tell our own stories, rather than simply serve as support for the films. The main difficulty was not knowing some of the broad strokes, like how much in-universe time would pass between XIII & IX, and the dispositions/fates of crossover characters.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Watcherwithin and TetsuAero like this.
  25. Darth Baga

Jul 21, 2021
    This isn't inherently bad in my opinion. Most Star Wars protagonists start off immature. It's just a shame Kaz didn't have an arc were he matures like Luke, Ezra or Ahsoka. He's still too much of a klutz and a goofball by the end of season 2. It would have been good to see him mature in a season 3, which could have coincided with TRoS.

whostheBossk and my kind of scum like this.