main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Thread** The unaltered Original Trilogy to be released on DVD

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dagobah_Dude, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    This was posted on the Classic Horror Film Boards by David Colton, the page one editor of USA TODAY. The unaltered Original Trilogy is going to be released to DVD.

Original Star Wars back: Han Solo shoots first! (Again...) We're reporting in USA TODAY Thursday that Lucas is releasing the three ORIGINAL Star Wars films -- without the digital tweaks and effects -- on DVD after all. And, once again, Han Solo will be shown shooting first.

I had a bit of this wrong in the original posting, so lemme try again:

-- As we all know, in the original STAR WARS, Han Solo pulls his gun and shoots Greedo in the Cantina scene.

-- When the film was restored and digitally tweaked for a new theatrical run, Lucas added a moment where Greedo fires first, misses, and then Solo shoots Greedo. As if it was self-defense.

-- Fans objected, and when the film hit DVD in 2004, Lucas tweaked it yet AGAIN, and this time Solo and Greedo shot simultaneously.

-- In the upcoming DVD (due in September), the original scene is back. Greedo warns about Jabba, Solo tries to wave him off and then pulls his gun and shoots Greedo dead.

By the way, the story says the transfer of the 'original' version will not be as pristine and scrubbed as the restored DVDs. In fact, at one point there was talk the originals no longer existed.

Anyhow, once we publish (in USA TODAY), tomorrow, I'll post the entire story.

david
    'That's the idea.'

Edited by: taraco at: 5/3/06 4:02 pm

GK edit: Please use this as the official thread to discuss this announcement of the O-OT on dvd in 2006.

TLJ Edit: Restarting thread

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Until they release a statement on SW.Com then I would take this with a grain of salt.

3. Dagobah_Dude

Nov 9, 2001
    I don't think that USA TODAY would be printing the story unless the source was Lucasfilm itself.

4. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Newspapers always print things and then come out and say "Whoops, sorry".

5. Dagobah_Dude

Nov 9, 2001
    But why would they do that in a case like this? I bet we see an official announcement sometime in the next few days.

6. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Bet what you want, but I would still take this with a grain of salt until an official announcement comes out.

7. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Lets just hope it's true [face_praying]

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Also: Link?

9. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I've been suspecting this for some time but im very skeptical at this vague, unverifiable source. Firstly because it seems very sudden, but i suppose if it is released for the thirtieth anniversary it would be appropriate. Anyway, dont trust it just because its a newspaper--i mean we all remember the headlines "Liam Nesson to play Anakin's father", "Alec Guinness to narrate Episode I", "Episode II to be titled Rise of the Empire". I mean i really hope this is true but this is really, really shaky evidence and i would suspect an official announcement by Lucasfilm would preceed anything else.

Luckily however, the publishing of this story will at least make Lucasfilm respond to whether its true or not.

10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I just did a search at usatoday.com and found nothing about this.

11. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    I still will take it with a grain of salt until something is confirmed. But I just want to say if this is true, I think all the SW fans can now come together again, and put aside our differences, and we can all finally say to each other, "OK, every version of SW is on DVD, watch it 1-6 or 4-6 or 3-6, or O-OT way." now everyone should be happy.[:D]

12. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    if it is true, all you O-OT fans will finally get what you wanted. and if it's not i'm gonna laugh (a little).

13. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    B.O.G.U.S.!!!!!!

14. Tomtrek

Tomtrek Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    In an interesting turn of events, the post on the Horror Forum has now been deleted.

15. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah, I'd like to see a link to this if you've got one. I also wonder who the source is going to be for this information. I really wish it would come out mainly to satisfy the OT on DVD-ers.

16. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I would be very skeptical about this.

17. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    To me this makes no sense for a number of reasons.

Number one--why September?? I mean you have the thirtieth anniversary of Star Wars coming up just a few months later and what a better opportunity it would be. September just seems kind of random.

Number two--the originals will not be as pristine as the 2004 dvds. Now this makes no sense at all. In order to make the 2004 SE they first started with the unaltered version and cleaned that up, then added the effects to it. So there should be a version of the OOT that has been restored by Lowry digital and colour graded as well. Theres no reason for the OOT to be significantly less impressive than the 2004 dvd.

Number three--no one has ever heard anything about this before and now its being printed in the news. I mean not so much as rumour from TF.N or anyone and now this is a whole announcement that it is already done and being prepped for release?? I dunno. I would think that the official site would be the first to break this news and not USA Today, or at the very least get some warning from TF.N or dvd sites in the know like Digital Bits. I mean when the 2004 dvds were coming out we had all kinds of reports well before they were officially announced. This USAToday report is an isolated occurance without any source.

Number four--"there was talk that the originals no longer existed". Huh? Since when? I mean they transfered the originals at either a 2 or 4 k scan to send them to Lowry digital for the 2004 dvd. And especially since Lucasfilm undertook that multi-million-dollar restoration of the original negatives in 1997 for the SE.

So much of this doesn't add up. I would be very curious to see what information is printed tommorrow, if this is indeed not a hoax which it may very well be. Like i said, i dont doubt that the OOT will be on dvd, it will happen eventually so this isnt a shocker but its very a very dodgy report.

18. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    The Originals were tranferred in 2K by Lowry.

Still, this is bogus. Lucas isn't going back on his dogmatic stance.

And even if he does, whatever. I still prefer the 2004 Special Editions.

I can't believe one freaking shot has created this much uproar over the years. Seriously?!

19. Dagobah_Dude

Nov 9, 2001
    It will be in tomorrow's edition.

20. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005

If this is true, why can't you guys who don't want them just give the fans who do their day. I am taking this with a big grain of salt, cause I am very skeptical. But now you guys sound like all the PT bashers who try to stomp on someones enjoyment of the O-OT. The argument against bashing the PT was, "If you don't like it, don't watch it." I will turn it around on you, "If you don't care about the O-OT, and don't understand why fans want it, why even bother commenting?"

21. spacerocker

spacerocker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Well, there it is.

http://starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

22. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    What the hell changed Lucas' mind?!

Seriously?!

23. nisomer

nisomer Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2004
    HOLY ****!!!!!!!1111111111111111111

24. spacerocker

spacerocker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Some people must be pooping their pants right now.
    And I'm happy for them.

25. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    Each film is a two disc set featuring the Unaltered Versions and the 2004 Editions.

I'm stunned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.