main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London Okay-dokey, I'm interested in planning a meetup

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sith-I-5, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Hello all.

I'm in Crystal Palace, South East London, and I'm thinking about organising some kind of meet-up during January or February.

While one to see TFA is the most obvious motive, I am open to suggestions. Pizza, pub, see something else.

The important thing is to meet other fans, and costumes are definitely not a requirement.

If you have received an alert, it is because I harvested your names from the Roll Call thread, and Welcome New Users forum.

Cheers

I-5

LAJ_FETT
    SithLordDarthRichie
    emilsson
    darthhelinith
    DarthArsenal6
    fizzbin
    JediKnight20043
    slightly_unhinged
    Chewies_bandolier
    theycallmemrglass

2. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd probably give it a miss unless it is during the daytime. I live outside of London (near Heathrow) and I don't really feel comfortable on the tube or trains by myself late at night.

4. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Damn .. I am back in Oz. Have fun!

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    LAJ_FETT

Yeah, I went to a convention once at the Raddisson Edwardian near Heathrow, and I can recall the tube journey taking a LONG time.

Are your concerns with late night tube and train travel, specifically; or do you need to be back indoors before Winter/Spring's idea of nightfall, eg. 4pm-ish

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If it's on a weeknight I'm not too concerned during the commuting hours. Not much later than that though. For me it's Tube to Waterloo and then SW Trains.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note on this - there are 3 planned strikes on the Tube in Jan and Feb. All are 24 hours and will start during the evening on Jan 26, Feb 15, and Feb 17.

BBC News

8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, thanks.

Query. LAJ_FETT - how do Heathrow and Basingstoke stack up, re. distance from each other, and travelling between the two?

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not that good - from here I'd have to go up to Clapham Junction and change to come back to Basingstoke. Going into London would probably be quicker. (I know it would be easier and faster - 30 mins to Waterloo vs 90 mins to Basingstoke). Just a note that my local Vue has now stopped showing the film in 3D. They still have daytime showings but it's all 2D now. I don't think I'd travel to Basingstoke for a 2D showing if I could see that locally.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've pretty much decided that my final viewing will be a 2D one at the local cinema next week while they still have morning showings. I think 3 times will be enough for me until the DVD comes out.

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    My Star Wars friends started organising a meetup, separate to my idea; for the 24th, and I didn't realise their emails had a choice of locations, till Basingstoke got selected.

I didn't think the only transport link would be to come all the way into London, then bounce back out.

Drokking nonsense!

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Unfortunately yes. My area doesn't have a Tube station so it's Southwest Trains for me. I looked on Trainline and that was the option - here to Clapham Junction and then to Basingstoke. I've had to do the same type of trip in the past when I've had to go to Croydon. It's a pain in the butt.

I'm planning on seeing the film again in 2D at the local cinema on Thursday. That will probably be the last viewing for me.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm up for meeting sometime, but my work hours vary & tend to be in the evening.
    But I can organise around my hours.

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    SithLordDarthRichie

When you say on the Roll Call that you are the opposite of where LAJ is, does that mean you are heading east out of London, at a similar distance of where Heathrow is?

15. feeltheforcee

feeltheforcee Jedi Padawan

Dec 22, 2013
    Hey Guys, I'm also interested in meetups only thing is I do not like travelling far from home... I live in West Hampstead in North West London any thing not to far or local would work for me but I am not sure about you guys.
    Keep me informed of your plans guys. Hope I'm not too late lol^^