main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by B99, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Re: the bold text, Poe is killed off! Confirmed!:p

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Poe get a lot of hate after TLJ but not too much like Finn get since TFA trailer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bryan Young writes to SW site

3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I’ve actually come to like the Poe and Holdo arc MORE through the criticism of it from others than I did initially. I really think it’s an exploration of leadership and chain of command issues and mistakes on both sides and the fact there are court marshal mock trials in defence of him and against him is actually really great. I happen to think that Holdo, as his commanding officer, and as an Admiral, didn’t have to let him in on her “need to know” plan and that he was more in the wrong but I also think she could have been a more effective leader and that the questions others are asking about where she could have been more collaborative might have helped motivate her crew in ways that better differienated her leadership approach more than that of the FO beyond just casual attire.

Put simply, I think everyone has been asking the right questions about each of their “need to know plans” and leadership moments and when a movie has people thinking about leadership in that way I think the arc has some merit.

I can't wait to see how Poe continues to grow as a character and as a leader into IX.

4. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah...but the Poe-hate has more to do with the ambiguous nature of his arc and his character decisions than anything else. And sure, there are some people who consider him to be out of character in TLJ (I'm not one of those people) but in comparison to everyone else in the film, Poe kind of gets the least amount ire.

If anything, Poe Dameron's hate train is kind of intentional. The movie is written in order to portray Poe as if he's in the wrong. Ironically, many critics cite that he was in the right. What I'm saying is Poe's reception is the only one that feels less...intense. Finn gets hate for being useless and wasted, many saying that he should have died. Rose gets hate for being completely unlikable and "teaching Finn". Rey gets hate for being too perfect and bland. Kylo Ren...well, he gets hate but he's considered by many to be the best part of the ST.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  5. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Seems to me that Leia will still be in charge and Poe will be an on the ground soldier but then something will happen and we’ll see Poe being thrust into a leadership position at a time when he’s not totally sure that he’s up to the task. That will be his arc.

6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Wasn't his TLJ arc learning to be a leader?

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016

8. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Five minutes into the video and it's all about my masculinity being threatened because there are female characters in the movie. What a great and profound argument.

9. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    ....This person remember that Finn and Poe are our first black and latin heroes as leads (especially Finn, who is the male lead) is Star Wars trilogy and Black/latines doesn't have the same treatment than white men in hollywood, especially dark skinned black men?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    teamhansolo and Joystick Chevron like this.
  10. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Of course he does. You also see they compared Luke, Finn and Poe to other Hollywood male leads such as Will Smith in other blockbusters.

11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    He learned a lesson but Ep. IX will have him calling the shots at some point.

12. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    I wonder if him taking over a leadership role means less time of him being a pilot.

13. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    When you're already acknowledged as the best pilot in the galaxy, there's no way to go further with that. Especially if the audience knows he'll always win without any doubt.

So more than likely it'll focus on his leadership.

14. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Just wanna say that I love Pop Culture Detective and I was on the notification squad when the video was released. I wholeheartedly agree with the majority of what was said in the video. I’ve kind of discussed this topic to death and have seen a lot of legitimate counterpoints to the argument regarding the toxic masculinity storyline in TLJ. I mean, the women save the day a lot in TLJ but Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren, and Luke are the ones with the substantial arcs. Rey’s arc is a bit less defined than her male counterparts, even with her getting a lot of the big moments. So yeah, it’s not my favorite video from PCD but I still heavily enjoyed it simply because it’s one of the very few positive TLJ analyses on YouTube.

I don’t remember that. I haven’t watched it in a couple days now, but I’m like 101% sure he was being sarcastic or facetious. He’s like really big on talking about toxic masculinity and misogyny.

15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I googled Oscar Isaac and saw a headline related to Poe’s sexuality.

The far right website Breitbart also ran it purposefully because they knew it would anger their base. When people ask how Star Wars made an enemy of the right it’s because many of the right wing sites and commentators live for any and all stories that so-called SJW has taken Star Wars from them. Including tweets from the cast or staff. It’s why they labeled Solo Soylo as well.

And the comments on that Breitbart site are all about anti SJW / liberal hate and how it relates to Star Wars. The right’s crusade against Star Wars alongside those who don’t like it for very different reasons continues.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Whether you agree or disagree, We don't need to carry over the politics into this website.

B99 and Storm_Cloud like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Oscar Isaac has been cast as Gomez Addams in the animated Addams Family movie coming out next year.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  18. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Stupid question, but is this his first ever role as a father.

19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm thinking that the Resistance are in an all-hands-on-deck situation so we'll see Poe pulling double duty, going out on missions and being a leader. We've already seen that he's on the ground with Finn presumably on a mission. Not hard to imagine him piloting an X-Wing too.

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

You know, I hadn't thought about this before, but...assuming the Skywalker saga as a whole really is ending with Episode IX, it makes me wonder-what WILL happen to all of the characters? If you think about it, this is the first time we'll be presented with an ending where our heroes survive and simply...live on, without (presumably) us seeing their story continued on in any subsequent films. At least it hasn't happened since 1983. My point with that though, is there are many SW fans (including myself-as I was 2 when ROTJ came out) have not been able to experience that feeling before. The idea that the main characters will just...live on, and we will not see them-or even that storyline-again onscreen. With the PT, it was different cos ROTS was meant to connect to the rest of the saga-we knew what would happen with those characters. But with this ST, the story will presumably just end-at least in terms of our heroes' involvement.

Of course they could decide to do some "Further adventures of Rey," or something of that nature, but I doubt it personally.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    teamhansolo likes this.
  21. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Oscar Isaac: “The way they’ve been shooting [Episode iX] right now is looser than it’s been for the last two times. It does feel like a relief to get on set and feel like, ‘Oh, we can try things.’ It’s a testament to J.J. [Abrams] coming back and feeling confident. There’s less pressure for it to be right. We just want to make a good movie and have a really good time while doing it.” "[The Episode IX improvisation is like] Cassavetes in space. Often, you do feel like you’ve got to find your way to make something more alive, but this time, it’s been the opposite. There’s no need to smuggle anything in there.” "[My uncle and cousin have] had some great ideas [for Star Wars]. I smuggle some secrets out to them.” (October 12, 2018)

22. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Che and Castro in a Cassavetes film in space.

He said something similar before VII (the sandbox quote), so hes alluding to his more fixed and non-relieveing parts in TLJ. In any case, I guess his (or his and Boyega's) storyline allows for more improvisation...smuggling.

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The most exciting possibility is the plot point of our Resistance heroes visiting different planets to support local resistance movements. New planets, cultures, etc. Bring it on.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    "We are the spark that'll ignite the fire that'll burn the First Order to the ground."

I like that. I like that a lot. See them arming and training several local militias throughout the galaxy then once are heroes have won their climactic battle there could be a montage similar to ROTJ showing these local militias overthrowing the First Order presence on their respective planets.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Perfect ending. And to distinguish it from ROTJ, I’d also show the beginnings of a new galactic order.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.