main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, san is Bayerisch, so I’m assuming Se is also Bayerisch, so probably like… “Where are you (formal/unknown individual(s)) from? ORF? Bastard!”

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The Tweet is from an Austrian Reporter and in strong Austrian/Viennese dialect. He‘s referring to vax-Skeptics who have become increasingly hostile and violent towards members of the press.

Really sad. If only there was a way to inject a weakened form of the virus so that the body could learn to produce the antibodies without risking serious illness or transmission to others! Where‘s science when you need it! Somebody get on that, ASAP!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Rew likes this.
  3. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah obviously she should’ve just gotten vaccinated, but part of the problem is that people can spread this bull**** disinformation (I think we can all name at least one user here who often espoused this natural immunity line) and literally get people killed because they don’t have the media literacy to parse out the nonsense.

Rylo Ken, mnjedi, Darth Guy and 5 others like this.
  4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I... vaguely remember her. I used to follow that band (Asonance) back when I studied in Prague. Went to a few of their concerts and had several of their albums on CD. In fact, two of my uni teachers played in the band at the time (@Ramza you might know them - Mirko Rokyta and Luboš Motl).

Must be quite horrible for her son to know his mother fell prey to the lies and misinformation.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Wait, the Mirko Rokyta I get like 87 daily departmental announcement emails from, that Mirko Rokyta? Small world.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    The one and only! :)

He was my Mathematical Analysis lecturer for like 3 years. Lovely guy. Always sprinkled his lectures with funny and interesting stories. Sometimes signed his name as μρ (Mi-Ro). :p

Point Given and Ramza like this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The Daily Beast - ‘If I Die, I Die’: Meat Loaf Spurned COVID Rules Before Death
    The singer said in a recent interview that he was getting tired of pandemic restrictions, complaining about “power-mad” flight attendants who make people wear masks.

TMZ claims he may have died as a result of COVID19 as he was very ill with it recently.

He made some good music back in the day but he was also a bit of a rightwing nut for years.

Bottom line is don't be as stubborn as perhaps Mr. Loaf and definitely many others or that could be you too.

SateleNovelist11 and Luke02 like this.
  9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Those graphs look more or less the same everywhere.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @MagnarTheGreat I think someone on Twitter said it best. COVID is like the biggest Dodgeball game ever played with everyone vaccinated in the back while the antivaxxers are in the front and getting thinned out fast.

Rew, MagnarTheGreat and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Rew, jcgoble3 and Luke02 like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If it’s true and most of everyone has gotten one form of the virus or another or will. I gotta wonder what’s next. Viruses and disease in general are only increasingly likely in our globalized world. I am sure Covid will still take tens of thousands or perhaps hundreds of thousands of lives each year. The flu takes around 50k a year in the US.

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  15. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    A federal judge in Texas, appointed by Trump, has blocked Biden’s vaccine mandate for federal workers nationwide. It’s already been appealed, but I love how nationwide injunctions were the ultimate horror during the Trump presidency, but are now widely praised by Fox News and their ilk with a Democrat in the White House.

16. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Data from Puerto Rico: death rate per 100k people.

Vaccinated and boosted- 4.16
    Only one dose or two doses but no boost- 9.63
    Unvaxxed- 18.32

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the unvaccinated will continue to die in droves. It’s a human travesty that could have been prevented if people were smart.

Count Yubnub and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    A large segment of the population has chosen not to be smart. They're also unabashedly proud of this fact. The difference now is that the internet allows them to broadcast their ignorance at high volume and the speed of light.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    And they are dying by the thousands per day

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  20. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The future of the unvaccinated is accelerated death. Darwin Award winners all though obviously some are leaving behind offspring.

21. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    It’s seems that Africa is suffering from the lack vaccinations of all the places worldwide, so what is the United Nations plan to speed up the vaccination process there?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Probably nothing. What they really need is for all of these companies to give up their patents.

23. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I hope they will get vaccinated soon.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The UN only has as much power as its members allow. Africa isn't an area that it can boss around. It'll be nation by nation. Some might have the funds and infrastructure to support a vaccination programme, others may lack one or both of these.

yankee8255, Fifi Kenobi and Oissan like this.
  25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    True, availability of vacccines isn't the biggest issue. Some nations simply can't handle the logistics, others lack the resources to make such a push. Getting people to take a vaccine is another issue. Even if you get the majority to accept them, you might not be able to reach most people, especially among the poor. All the vaccines in the world aren't going to do a thing if they aren't accessible to a large part of the country.