main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have almost no energy and just walking around the block wears me out. That’s pretty much the only symptom I have left now.

I’m planning to go back to work Monday but I’ll probably go to bed as soon as I get home.

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    In terms of flu shots at college, the university I graduated from had one or two flu shot drives in the student union each fall, and it was also available at the on-campus health services office as well as at several off-campus retail pharmacies within walking distance.

I elected to get mine at the Meijer pharmacy adjacent to campus each year since the on-campus drives were never convenient to my class schedule or were later in the year than I wanted to wait, and the on-campus health office was out of the way, while a trip to the Meijer pharmacy could be combined with a grocery run.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Should the emergency state declaration never be ended? Most people wouldn't accept, and/or take seriously, it lasting for 5 years or more and there being no end or decrease in sight and the administration not being at least a little positive, congratulatory over improvements would probably lead to more backlash from the right.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The 9/11 emergency was renewed last year.

5. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Should not have been and is not taken seriously.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It’s taken seriously enough to be federal law.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    darth-sinister likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's not just a piece of paper, either. Extending the emergency extends the president's emergency powers.

solojones, Ghost, Rew and 4 others like this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

How have you been doing this week?

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't think it's at all relevant to bring up backlash from the right as though they will applaud and line up behind Biden to fix elements of the health care system now that they didn't extend it.

As to this in particular, the vaccine prices are going up and without a way to help people afford those, that cuts into vaccination efforts in an ongoing emergency. So for that as one example, it's not as though sensible vaccine policy could be in place otherwise.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    More tired than usual but making it through the workday without feeling like I need a nap in the middle of it, so I consider that a win. Thanks. :)

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Yep been thinking of you. Hope you're back to full strength soon.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking 5x Hangman Winner/9X Wacky Wed. Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Not Covid or the flu for me, but dealing with a cough, and possible pink eye.

13. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    hope you feel better soon @PCCViking

I have some disappointing news...looks like I might getting "covid rebound"...was absolutely spent after work yesterday and then today started feeling a little off (sore throat coming back a bit, a little achy)...did a test this evening and yup, a very faint 2nd pink line appeared. *sigh* going to retest in the morning.

also, here's a sad segment from the PBS Newshour tonight on the current state of long covid. The opening part with people talking about how the condition has pretty much destroyed the lives they knew before is heartbreaking:

Darth Guy likes this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking 5x Hangman Winner/9X Wacky Wed. Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I'm in the hospital for pink eye and possible pneumonia. Because of my pink eye, I get my own room.

15. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    oh dear...so sorry to hear you're in the hospital @PCCViking ! hope you can go home soon!

Runjedirun likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Feel better, also at least you get your own room. I had a hospital roommate in May 2020, it was not fun.

17. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    yup, clearly positive again...*sigh* I feel better than my worst day before, but this is rather...frustrating.

but of course, this is nothing compared to those long haulers in the vid I posted above, so I know shouldn't complain.../end whine

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Apr 27, 2005
    Hope you recover soon.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Feel better soon!

On a scientific note, recent data shows that an active COVID infection protects against symptomatic reinfection for at least 10 months, so that's at least something of a bright spot. Better not to have it of course, but if you do, you should have nearly a year's worth of added protection afterwards.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  21. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I just saw an article on that. That is good news. Much better protection than some of the "maybe 3 months" estimates I seem to remember reading earlier...

Rew, Vaderize03, Luke02 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Yeah we have better data now.

jcgoble3, Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  23. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Day 5 of my symptom "rebound" recurrence and re-isolation and I'm feeling mostly recovered again (except for lower energy and lingering cough/sinus drainage). Will test again tomorrow but negative test is not required to return to campus as long as you're past the five days, symptoms have improved, and you continue to mask until all symptoms have resolved. Hopefully I will be negative though.

The main challenge will be continuing to get enough extra rest as I anticipate tiring more easily for a least another week or two based on what I've read about what is typical for other people's post-covid experiences. I was already quite behind work-wise when I got sick.

Hope you've been feeling back to "100%" @anakinfansince1983 : -)

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Weirdly my dad did have an active infection, plus five shots, and still got a symptomatic infection only four months after the first one.

I think this is because he's immune compromised from his cancer meds.

Luckily neither infection was severe.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m pretty much back to where I was, except as you said, tiring more easily. Had the “rocks in my lungs” feeling that I had with the first infection for awhile but that’s mostly gone. I ran this weekend and tonight, just more slowly than usual.

Glad you’re mostly recovered. :)