main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Non-sequitur, but what exactly are the Marvel film press tours anymore?

I know during Black Panther one of the film's stars was trying to offer a vague "apology" for sharing anti-vaccination content and say she moved on from it. But now with Ant Man someone is bragging about how they had Disney's full backing to attend anti-vaccination protests? Regardless of what you feel about how corporations should (or shouldn't) respond to this kind of stuff, it seems extremely gauche to make it a point of pride in your interviews.

2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    This is a big ***ing deal. RSV is actually quite bad in adults, not just kids. The new vaccine will help a lot.

4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    so apparently my negative test on wed was not inaccurate

retested today and was positive. still experiencing some symptoms too (congestion/sinus drainage, occasional cough + recurring fatigue)

good thing i stayed masked and away from people when I was on campus wed thru today

Monday it will be 3 weeks since I first got sick

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That testing is now so unreliable seems like a major issue that absolutely should be getting addressed so that spread can be easily managed.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    but why when "the pandemic is over" 8-}

7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    so I heard this the other day on NPR and thought it might be of interest here (though the doctor addresses more than just the pandemic). Some of his frustrations with the position providers are put into in a for-profit system remind me of some of the things @Vaderize03 has shared about his experiences over the years. There were parts that I found quite moving too (in terms of his reflections on dying patients, etc.)

I'll link to the page that has the transcript in case anyone interested would rather read than listen to it (the audio is 36 minutes):

An ER doc reflects on life, death and uncertainty in the early days of COVID-19

Vaderize03 likes this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Soon enough we won't even know the extent to which the virus is spreading.

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'd settle for knowing the over-under

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Guy like this.
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That statement was only true in Florida prior to, oh, around September 2020.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I meant US or even worldwide. As unreliable as the data is now, it's gonna get a lot worse as tracking keeps getting shut down.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    There’s no virus if there’s no data.

blackmyron likes this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/winter-covid-wave-wasnt-us-surge/story?id=97577262

Think the last part was massively underplayed. Many schools still give administration time to staff members with COVID so we don't have to use sick time along with students also not being marked sick time. With the emergency ending, that is ending unless states decide to keep it which they should. Cases were able to be isolated a lot better because of it.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My district still allots five paid days for Covid sick time, but you cannot use your home test, you have to go to a doctor or pharmacy to get one.

16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    How long is the wait for results now?

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You can get rapid tests there. It’s just a pain when you’re already sick and the Covid test has shown that you are sick.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I understand and sympathize with you. What do you think most people do? Take a COVID test at home. If it’s positive then go and get the test administered at a pharmacy so it’s on the record as positive.

There are hoops to jump through but at least you get laid time off.

Is it five days total for a school year or five days per illness?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002

Of course, they have to use a dollar measurement of immense human suffering because that's all the ruling class cares about.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @anakinfansince1983 That is what we get as well though I guess our districts are a bit more trusting as they will allow a at home test as proof you have COVID long as it's time stamped. There is no testing via the district anymore as that ended last school year that you can go to though we still have testing on site in case anyone gets sicked/contract tracing. All the other free testing is gone outside of the pharamcies though the local junior college via their immediate care center. Again my concern is next year that will end and a lot more people will come to school contagious since you don't want to waste sick days. Our staff is curteous as not even people will wear a mask after having COVID but many will wear one if they have a cold or another illness now. That will help but not as much as having staying home particularly many students will now contagious since they will also lose their non-absent days for it.

Some good news? FDA study says there is no correlation between Paxloid and COVID rebound as people can get it even if they are not on Paxloid:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/clear-association-paxlovid-covid-19-rebound-fda/story?id=97887039

Should open it up for full authorization and also potentially good news as well that it's effective in high risk COVID patients however needs to be studied more to make sure it meshes well with other medications/conditions.

Runjedirun likes this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Long Covid is definitely a public health problem, but Covid is still outright killing 3-7 times as many people as the flu every day of the year.

23. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    My son has a headache and I had to pick him up early. Probably anxiety. We have to send in a negative covid test for him to go back, no problem. But wait a minute the high school in our same county and district didn't make me send in a Covid test when we picked up our older son earlier this school year. I think someone is slacking at the high school.

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Pretty sure I had mild long COVID in 2020. That was general brain fog, Also on again off again ache and weakness in the arm where my body ache started when I got sick.

It was so gradual in going away, I don’t know if it went away on its own after about a year or getting vaccinated is what finally stopped it.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Runjedirun That isn't even a thing in our districts anymore. All of that ended last year. We do some contract tracing still and at the elementary school level if there is a breakout in a room of more then a couple cases, then they are supposed to wear masks. Luckily cases have been really low pretty much all year long. Again the highest numbers we saw were when school began. Since then *knock on wood* they been very well other then a couple really small flare ups that were quickly contained. It's been more flu and other things that have rocked our building particularly during the fall. This spring has been quieter though my wives/kids school got hit semi hard with the stomach bug that was going around. As she said, she seem to be on the walkie talkie for several days in a row it seemed with the custodian staff saying they need help cleaning up with a student that got sick. Some made it to the bathroom, others didn't. Yuck.

@Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid There have been some evidence though I don't believe shown via studies that the vaccine can help a bit with long COVID. There are also some studies showing that treating and even preventing long COVID is becoming more tangible:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/researchers-getting-closer-learning-treat-143417271.html

Again Paxloid can help prevent long COVID in high risk patients but they still have to workout how it will effect other drugs/conditions.