main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I wish I could get my flu shot and Covid shot at the same time. I usually get my flu shot between mid-September and early October. Yet that's the point. I always have that option. Kaiser Permanente won't let me get the Covid shot until early December. I understand their medical reasoning, though. I think people should be free to make that decision, and we should have the option of at least two Covid boosters a year.

Of course, if we were to get into a discussion about how to reform the healthcare industry, we'd be here all night. Don't me wrong. I love my KP doctors. Just not their bosses.

2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Their bosses are not doctors. That’s the problem.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Apr 27, 2005
    Got me and my mom's Fluvid shots scheduled for Friday morning.

Vaderize03, Runjedirun and Rew like this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Mine are scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I got my shots yesterday, and Novavax was what they had available.

I don't like Novavax. It's noon here, and I'm currently under the covers in bed with a splitting headache.

Next year, I will try to remember to find somewhere that has Pfizer or Moderna.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Novavax is likely the most effective of the shots for this round.

7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    @Darth Guy -- where/what have you seeen suggesting that?

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I might also mention that last night I had a dream about being on a competitive gas station shopping TV show, which is easily the strangest dream I've had in decades. I don't know if there's causation there, but definitely strong correlation with the shot.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I am having trouble finding the literature. Take my position with a grain of salt as of course I'm not a medical expert.

10. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    sure I understand @Darth Guy. Wasn't trying to put you on the spot, just genuinely interested. Also I see you as a well-informed, intelligent poster so I figured there had to be some good sources behind your comment.

@Vaderize03 -- are you aware of any good data on the relative effectivness of Novavax vs the mRNA shots? It's too late for me this year, as I already had the Pfizer recently, but I'd be interested to hear about that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison

This is a fairly decent summary for a general audience. It looks like all three vaccines are good, with Novavax having the strongest association with lowering the risk of severe disease during Phase 3 trials. Whether or not this carries into real world experience hasn’t been studied on a large enough scale to say it’s better than the other two vaccines as of yet.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Then let's pull forward with more trials. I want to crush this thing for everyone's sake.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024
    Juliet316 , Vaderize03 and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Apr 27, 2005
    Me and mom got our shots this morning, thankfully well before Helene entered our area of Virginia. Pfizer and Moderna were the choices available to us at our pharmacy, we chose Pfizer (it's where most of our shots have come from except for the occasion where Moderna was the only alternative). So far so good.

Luke02, Pensivia and Runjedirun like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    well, no updated shot for me again. Tested positive for Covid-19, after hanging in a positive household, negative Friday, Monday, but positive Thursday. we're all fine, I got a wussy runny nose wimpy variant, cough maybe once an hour and just kinda thirsty, that's it. (I chalk it up to the quartet of shots I had from April 30th 2021 to October 2022, all different shots of AstraZenica, Pfizer and Moderna/Moderna spikevax and one case beforehand) have even been exercising still. I actually called around to doctor's office and pharmacy for some Paxlovid but they both shot me down, saying they want to keep it for 65+ and immunocompromised. Also as mentioned my symptoms are basically non-existent. Curse this youthful healthy body! Was a lot easier to get this time last year, though.

technically the tests we're all using (which are much easier to use than the first kits that went out) expired in mid September 2024 but it's better than using the tests that expired in Jan 2024, I'd wager.

I was going to go to the movies today but didn't want to spew Covid-19 on fellow filmgoers. Is one not contagious after a week? I probably would have popped positive on Wednesday. Just have a game to go to on October 18th but even if I'm positive I don't believe one is infectious for that long.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2024
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    My understanding (which may be wrong) is that you are likely contagious for as long as you test positive on rapid (antigen) tests.

16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    That's actually incorrect.

The updated CDC guidelines recommend 5 days of isolation from the first positive test, followed by ending of isolation once you are fever-free for 24 hours without anti-pyretic medications (such as Motrin, Tylenol, etc) although they recommend still wearing a mask for another 5 days when indoors/in crowds to avoid spreading it to others.

Repeat antigen testing is NOT recommended as the tests are so sensitive they pick up viral debris and can remain positive for days to weeks even when there is no infectious virus around. So don't keep checking rapid antigen tests unless you are improving and then get sick again.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2024 at 8:26 AM
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ok so I'll mask and go see Saturday Night on Wednesday, got it. Nobody is seeing this movie, probably be an empty theatre anyway ahaha

Last edited: Oct 12, 2024 at 9:48 AM
    Juliet316 and Vaderize03 like this.
  18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for the correction. I'll pass this information along.