main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Paramount Pictures' Sonic the Hedgehog movies + Knuckles series

Discussion in 'Community' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There's still a very widespread belief in Hollywood that live action automatically has some extra crossover demographic appeal that animation can never have.

Luke02 likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    You've got me. As an 80s child I grew up with the Chipmunks and Smurfs cartoons, and not once did I have any desire to see the live action versions.

Violent Violet Menace and Luke02 like this.
  3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I am a child of the 80's and would never seen any of the live action versions if it weren't for my kids. I will go see the He-Man live action film though assuming it does finally happen after so many stop and go's.

Meanwhile the trailer has been trending on YouTube for three days for all the wrong reasons. Guess will see if any press is good press after all. :)

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, I know this is a bit of a radical change to make to a film at this point in the process, but

Outsourced and Juliet316 like this.
  6. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I actually think the Shadow character is the most emotionally complex entity to emerge from the Sonic universe, particularly his story arc in SA2. I think a film adaptation would be well served to have him in it, but going off the campy tone of the trailer, his existential anxiety that makes him such a compelling character has no place in this particular movie.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    But what if he was chasing after that DAMN fourth chaos emerald?

darkspine10 likes this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  9. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I'm actually hoping a trend soon starts where trailers for every movie ever made are recut with Gangsta's Paradise and posted on YouTube.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Can't wait for the Frozen 2 trailer set to Gangsta's Paradise.

11. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    This is the greatest thing I've seen next to Blue Will Smith. I'm crying laughing

12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
  13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    This... this is what it's come to? Disney owns Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel, and Fox, so now other studios are like, well... I guess... Sonic might be a good franchise idea?! Yikes, enjoy our Disney overlords, I'm not sure there's much realistic competition left. :p

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sonic has potential as a franchise... but not like this. If they used the SatAM cartoon or comic book series as a basis where you have the freedom fighters vs encroaching technology/industry upon nature premise (with the Borg/Cybermen/Bio-Dreads angle), there's definitely some good stuff you could do there (not even counting the awesome theme song ;) ). The comic series ran for almost 25 years (also the longest running comic based on a franchise, I believe), and there's enough good Sonic games (amongst many, may bad ones) to pull further elements from.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The UK STC was the best.

Of course Sonic is a Dragonball at times but eh.

16. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I legit did not even know there was a Sonic comic.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's one of those things that flew under the radar and just kept going. It lasted long enough to have a crazy legal case happen with one of the artists/writers that actually ended up radically altering how the Sonic franchise could be portrayed and resulted in a bunch of characters being unusable by any future Sonic material (likewise, Sonic's world of Mobius is no longer allowed to be called that anywhere, apparently).

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fan-made, but already feels so much better- also cuts out some of the worst gags (but oddly cuts down the amusing Jim Carrey bit).

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Outsourced and solojones like this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony 16X Wacky Wed/12X Hangman Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Based on what I've seen from the first horrible live action Smurfs film, it feels like the goal is to keep your target demographic, children ages 4-10, engaged. When the Smurfs are on screen, the kids are engaged. When the Smurfs are not on screen is when the humans are primarily on screen so the human actors become cartoon versions of themselves and are not grounded in reality nor do they act normal. Hank Azaria looked the part of Gargamel, but was just so over the top that it turned me off. I feel the same is going to be true for Jim Carrey.

If these movies can find the balance that most Pixar films found, where it can entertain both children and adults, then it will be successful. While fixing Sonic's look will probably get more butts in theater seats, I think they're only addressing one small problem with this film.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, they're fixing the only thing they can fix at this point. I guess they could cut out some of Carrey's antics.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Carrey is probably the only thing that will end up being worth seeing in the film.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I thought his parts in the trailer were terrible. I don't think he's changed, I think I'm just not 10 anymore :p

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony 16X Wacky Wed/12X Hangman Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Ooooooh, somebody stop me!

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly. I thought The Mask was the most hilarious movie ever... when I was 8.

AutumnLight91 likes this.