main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Images in general are easier on Tapatalk when posting from a phone, since Tapatalk has built-in image hosting.

2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    So you're saying I should post hotlinked gifs. Noted.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    Darkslayer, PCCViking and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is correct. Unfortunately, it is mostly incompatible with concepts such as simply just *posting*.

DarthIshyZ and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Which is why I use Tapatalk *only* for ****posting in the ****posting threads, and use the standard web interface in my mobile browser for all other purposes on my phone.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, ****posting is an apt description of what the service offers.

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    For April Fools next year some other admin should make an announcement that we will have an exclusive deal with Tapatalk for all users and all posts from this point on.

jcgoble3 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  7. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Interesting to hear about Tapatalk, which I lack. It's nice to hear they host images.

I've a question and this thread seems where to ask: How is AI different than searching for something in the google/bing/yahoo/whatever searchbox? Is this difference a concept I'm just not getting? "AI" for sure is a buzzword, is that all it really is?[face_coffee]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  8. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Ahah, it seems no one else knows the difference in concept either. I feel better now.

9. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    AI is short for "Artificial Intelligence." Literally thinking machines.
    A Google search is simply going through a database for information. It doesn't require "intelligence" per se. Just an if-then return of results.

pronker likes this.
  10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    AI usually generates content based on materials and information created by other individuals rather than merely searching for material on other sites.

With Google or other search engine results, it is also possible to determine the original source of the material, verify its accuracy or authenticity, and cite it appropriately.

AI does not properly cite its sources and therefore tends to promote intellectual property theft and copyright violations.

Google search is like consulting an encyclopedia.

AI is like taking the encyclopedia and claiming you wrote it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    + DarthIshyZ
    + devilinthedetails

Thanks very much! @};-@};- I shall mull these answers over.

A recent puzzler is that when reuploading my vid-files-as-terribly-important-story-research to New Laptop, following a "scanning for codec" message, an error message reads upon trying to play the file: "You need a new codec to play this item. Codecs help the app read and play different files. File X requires the HEVC Video Extensions Codec pack, available in the Microsoft Store. HEVC VIDEO EXTENSIONS: $.99." A "get" and "not now" ticky appears, and when "not now" gets selected, another message: "We can't play File X because it is in HEVC, which is not supported. We in our beneficence will allow you the audio portion." (paraphrased) Then the audio plays perfectly.

So is a codec pack a one time use for File X or is it "forever", does it work for the 150 other files in the same folder, is there a workaround, or what? *steps out in faith of an answer*

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  12. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    This isn't really board related, but just about all video files require a codec in order to play them on your computer. A codec is just the format the video was encoded in. MP3 is a codec for audio files, for example. A "codec pack" usually refers to a bundle of related video and audio codecs. The most common video codecs right now are probably AVC (also called h.264) and HEVC (also called h.265). Common video codecs usually come preinstalled on modern operating systems. If you're using Windows 10 or 11, you shouldn't need to install anything in order to play an HEVC video file. I'm not sure what app is trying to charge you for an HEVC codec but that sounds shady to me. You might try using a different app like VLC.

13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    The app came with a refurbished laptop using Win 11 - but now all is well with a downloaded VLC playing the mkv files. Thanks so much.@};-

Grimby likes this.
  14. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    So this is probably a me problem, but the forums nor the main website will load up on any of my browsers on my MacBook.

I’ve cleared the cache, tried opening them on different ip’s and nothing. I can access it just fine on my phone. But figured I’d mention it in case it’s not a just me thing.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Is there any kind of error message, or is it just a blank page?

16. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    it’s just a blank page.

17. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Weird. Is your phone using the same wifi connection to access the boards? If so, it could be an issue specifically with the MacBook.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Is anyone else having more lag than usual? It's intermittent for me, but the last few days there's been many times when I click on a page or thread that usually shows up in 1 or 2 seconds, and it struggles for 10 seconds or more to load.

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I have had no issues with either of the above two problems.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Good to hear. How are you faring with the weather in Guadalajara?

21. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Works just fine on my iPhone. So that’s what I’m thinking that it’s just my MacBook.

22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It looks like this is happening again. Maybe it's just me this time.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's just you. Your account will self destruct in 5...

jcgoble3 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  24. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Well, just like last time it appears we're getting a ton of Elasticsearch server errors.

So, uh, what'd you do? :p

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    If only LAJ was here to get it fixed like last time...

Juliet316 , DarthIshyZ and pronker like this.