main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  2. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Green screen is used for set extensions when something cannot be built or found in the real world. Anytime a miniature is used, it's done with a green/blue screen backdrop.
    Back when the prequels were made, miniatures and matte paintings were the standard method for a big budget sci fi film.

If your set had a window, it would be a green screen with a matte painting inserted later, with maybe some digital birds or speeders flying around, or space ships.

darkspine10, Gamiel and darthosaka like this.
  3. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    everybody is a film expert...

there is nothing wrong with using CGI. TPM used the least of all 3 prequels CGI, because it wasnt as developed yet. but most of the cgi effects wasnt noticeable.
    all that flack is just another examples of "haters gonna hate".

yoda fight looked realistic, even though it was pure cgi. anakin vs obi-wan had a few seconds of pure CGI, but it is completely unnoticeable because it is a short wide shot.

people hate on edits that add details to cities and make it feel bigger and more realistic and not as linear as the original version. WTF?!!?
    some edits are bad like the han shot first. the original is best because its part of his character development. but making space battles, cloud city, tatooine and more look bigger and better is great.

mustafar fight had a lava pumping machine and the structure they hanged was also a model.

darthosaka likes this.
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm just gonna say: to me, puppet Max Rebo (which looks like one of my kids stuffies), stop motion Taun-Tauns, puppet Yoda and scenery matte paintings don't look ANY MORE "realistic" than Jar Jar, CG creatures, CG Yoda, or the digital environments like the droid factory, Coruscant or other.

It's all fake-just a different kind of fake. I have always found the whole "practical vs CG" argument ridiculous.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  5. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    Same.

KyleKartan likes this.
  6. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Yep!

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Of course this is beside the point, but here's a good moment to point out (again, for the newcomers :D) that much of Coruscant was done using models:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Some people simply prefer tangible fakery over digital fakery. That's all there is to it.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Feh on tangible. I call it a lack of imagination.

10. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Like George says, it's all fake.

The thing is, digital is much more expansive.

And anecdotally, a few years ago I let a co-worker who was 19 at the time borrow my Episodes I-VI DVDs because he'd never seen SW before. Afterwards I asked him what he thought and he said he didn't like the OT because "It had too many puppets."

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I get the whole thing about tangibility, but I guess the reason I happen to prefer CG is simply cos more can be done with it; wider range of movement, more emotional facial expression, and of course the possibility of putting together more complex scenes with lots of moving parts-and those parts can be literally anything. If they wanted the Endgame final battle to be just a bunch of refrigerators coming thru portals and flying around, they could've done it-and made it look real. Or maybe the battle of geonosis could've been all underwater (which could've been cool actually).

These days it's improved alot too.

darthosaka likes this.
  12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    [​IMG]
    I did not know this, they’re all Q-tips

darthosaka, Valiowk and KyleKartan like this.
  13. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

Really?

[​IMG]

14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Thats what i find interesting. Alot of people will always stand by puppet Yoda because its how yoda originally was and because he is real!. But there is no denying that Yoda is a puppet with a hand up his butt. He moves like a puppet. his mouth movements look like someone's hand movements. So i don't think the puppet yoda was ever leaps ahead of the CGI yoda.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Oh yeah, I recall reading this a good number of years ago. It shows that people talk out of their asses, when complaining about the effects.

KyleKartan likes this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read if they can't even fit inside the building?

17. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I think it is harder for filmmakers from that era to suspend their disbelief on puppetry and practical effects than it is for audience members. Because the filmmakers are seeing the puppets the 99.9% of the time they arent working, and so they more easily see the tape and glue that is holding them together. The audience members are only seeing the puppets the 0.1% of the time that they are working. So I think that makes filmmakers view cgi more favorably than audience members.

darthosaka likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That was also some of the outrage over the PT and the SE's. The segment of the fandom wanted it to look like it was 1983. Oh and the puppet critique was definitely real.

DANTE: "Do you know that article is accurate? Caitlin's really getting married!"

RANDAL: "You know what I just watched?"

DANTE: "Me pulling a can off some moron's fist."

RANDAL: "Return of the Jedi."

DANTE: "Didn't you hear me? Caitlin really is getting married."

RANDAL: "Which did you like better: Jedi or The Empire Strikes Back."

DANTE: "Empire."

RANDAL: "Blasphemy."

DANTE: "Empire had the better ending: Luke gets his hand cut off, and finds out Vader's his father; Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. And that's life-a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets."

darthosaka likes this.
  19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    New footage of Hayden doing stunt work for ROTS.

20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

Real carpet, real curtains

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    More BTS training saber scenes for ROTS. HOLY CRAP Hayden is legit fast

@wobbits @SateleNovelist11 i thought both of y’all would appreciate these clips and Hayden’s work ethic

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They spent twelve weeks practicing, building up the muscle memory, before filming. The carbon rods were also lighter than the aluminum rods used in the previous films. These were factors in the speed.

23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Stairs! Twice the step! Double the fall!

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    George looks so slim.

25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016