main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Queen's Hope - New Padmé novel from EK Johnston

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 18, 2021.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    What an ironic comment, given that the Trade Federation blockaded Naboo.

2. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    How ironic that I could easily get the German version (and read it of course), but already have pre-ordered the paperback, what brings on my personal trouble:

a) the size of the German book is probably completely different than the other ones, what means it looks stupid in the book shelf. Yeah, I'm one of those people who get a fit when there are size differences in a series.
    b) I could get the ebook. But stupid me invested so much time in Star Wars in English that I really get confused with terms and stuff. Yeah, I'm someone who has to think hard how to call a lightsaber in German. It surely doesn't help that my original OT-books speak of 'Lichtsäbel'.

Otherwise ... the 25th is the time when I really, really, really have to get my own book done in time, so I should not read anyway. Good that the next one is scheduled anyway, so I don't have time to working actively in getting spoiled. Hopefully Google accepts that and won't send me any notifications.

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    So...

Any early spoilers?

4. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    It is totally the same for me. I haven't even preordered the book yet, but I'm gonna wait until the English version releases to get it. Reading anything Star Wars related in German would just feel very weird at this point, even though I read most of the old EU in German. But now it would be just confusing, so as much as I'm looking forward to this, waiting another 2 1/2 months is not gonna kill me, I'll just have to fight the temptation to spoil myself.

5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Why not order it to read and then resell once english one releases for keeping?

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

6. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    I have bookshelfs stuffed full of Non Star Wars books and have to be very selective what I buy us a physical copy. So I usually read Star Wars books as e-books and you can't really sell those. But maybe buying a physical copy of the German edition and then selling it, is actually not a bad idea, thank you for the suggestion.

7. Ash_Satine

Dec 5, 2017
    @theorenwulf Am I glad that I'm not alone with this problem. 20 years back Star Wars was German for me (you know, back then you had no real chance to get books you want in English), but in the last years it's English. But there are others. Saltatio Mortis did a livething during Mando and Alea had to try hard to find a word for force sensitives that doesn't sound too stupid.

@ColeFardreamer I try not to buy anything senseless. If I get the German version it would be digital. As for selling: I'm not really sure there are people who are really interested in it. Around me I'm the only one who read YA Star Wars books at all. And honestly, the selling part is too much effort. I don't want to go to the mail office just because of one book.

8. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Got the book today, couple days early for even the german release, niiice!

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

AusStig likes this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    sorry for doublepost but, without spoiling the book, I like the Prequel characters aside Padmé and the Gang that appear in this book. Some surprises to be sure!

Even some dead characters from before the books timeframe in flashbacks. Also nice expansion of scenes from AOTC in other flashback! In general good to see underused characters like this and have their story expanded through Padmé as well as how their life and brief encounters with her shaped Padmés.

darklordoftech and Sinrebirth like this.
  10. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Any hints on how this might intersect with Brotherhood? I thought I heard they'd reference each other. I'm planning on watching AOTC, reading these books, and then watching TCW. Trying to decide which to read first.

11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I guess it is time to spoil this book, riiight? Well at least I waited long enough with talking about it, even if not spoiling all the stuff.

I really liked a lot in it!

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd wait until it's out in the rest of the world.

13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well I will not spoil all, just some appetizers to promote the book I really enjoyed?

14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Do it! Please. Spoiler tags of course ;)

ColeFardreamer and AusStig like this.
  15. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    okay, where do I start... ah yes:
    I loved learning more about Beru and what she was up to during the Clone Wars! That girl is a secret superhero, clever and impactful! Though her job is bloody and not without losses.

Also great to see a certain vision come to pass and not be forgotten, even if who realizes it may be a surprise and not the one who had the vision. Which made me think more and more that the PT got its own Dyad going there.

I like when we get snippets of new intel on Shmi's life and backstory... though Watto was more evil than we thought!

Also interesting to see and learn who knew of Padmè and Anakins marriage and who does not. Or how they learned, intentional or not lol!

Getting into Palpatines head when he daydreams of burning the senate down reminds me of a certain meme!

A throwaway line nod to Male Handmaidens reminds me of the fun stunt coordinator Nick Gillard had dressing up as one during the TPM shoot!

And the one that already made the rounds online on social media: A clone trooper that has long braided dark hair and identifies as female despite being male, nickname "Sister". Well, not sure this was needed but it is interesting and I like it. Her brothers accept her choice of gender, so do the Jedi. So Boba got a real sister in Omega and another in "Sister". Though it kinda is a bit awkward and feels like Smurfette, I hope the internet, once the book is released, will not make fun of it and take this seriously! Social media was already cruel to this one.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  16. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    PT probably didn't have its own dyad lets keep those as rare as sheev thinks please

17. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Pls give me some more Sheevbits.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Like when Sheev muses to himself about how Naboo is his testbed for everything when he needs to test out plans and peoples reactions?

19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    @Barriss_Coffee
    Barriss is in the book, too btw and interesting enough we learn something about her early during the war. Kinda fits her TCW and her Medstar personality both.

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Woohoo! This is out today! Barnes and Nobel has had signed copies of the book. It looks like the link for it might be gone on their site, but I've seen people finding signed copies at the store. I have both a signed and regular copy coming to me.

AusStig likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Courtesy of Gul Dukat:

Attention UK posters, Queen's Hope is officially out in the UK 14 April.

Expecting copies to be available on that day will be very optimistic at best.

22. Ash_Satine

Dec 5, 2017
    Yeah and because Germany gets the UK version or delivered from there my whole plan broke down last week.
    I've scheduled my own book for the 14th, just thinking that with Queen's Hope in my hands I would not go crazy, check my stats etc every minute and can get my mind in a non panic state. And I would have four days off and time to read.

That said, the book will be delivered on the 20th. Means, it won't be here before at least two days later (UK delivery is ... the new horror), I've got to work and write and can read a page/day. Sometimes I really ask myself why I'm so nerdy and won't put the German edition besides the other books.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    More seriously, we will get this - the timing is just.... variable.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I got my copy!

I read my copy!

Zher pronouns!

A female clone!? Ooooh.

Otherwise Palpatine being sneaky as ever.

Typho and Padme having scars from the deaths of the other handmaidens. Sadness.

I could have done with some more Mina but Barriss was a treat. And Depa! And Plo!

Anakin and Sabe was hilarious but so painful for Sabe, bless. Sigh.

I could see a lot of why Padme liked Anakin in this. It wasn’t deranged, as a lot of things suggest.

Is that a Breha novel tease I wonder.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    From where?

If SpeedyHen have branched out into nabbing these that'd be cool, they don't seem to have done so before.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022