main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Binary Sunset, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    What is wrong with the costumes?

2. Lee_

Lee_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    As an 11 year old, I had an amazing amount of fun watching this movie multiple times at the theater. Great thrill ride, total classic. Didn't love the second one, loved the third one, but not as much as the first.

3. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Actually, I had a problem with two costume choices. One of them was the dress that Belloq gave her. It looked like a gown for a 17 year-old debutante from a small town, circa 1935. Marion was too old to be wearing such a dress and Belloq too mature and experienced to know better. There was also the red and white outfit that she wore for the Cairo marketplace scene. What was that? And she wore wedge sandals with it, which were not in fashion in 1936. Those are the only two costumes I had a problem with. And I'm certain that others do not agree with me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  4. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Well she was only supposed to be about 24 or 25 at the most? (She was underage during her and Indy's last liaison ten years previous so I would have put her at about 15 years old back then)

I think the idea is that the dress is supposed to be hideous, and supposed to be inappropriate. Belloq makes the point that they are miles from civilisation and yet he has still managed to acquire one. It may well have been for a 17 year old debutante from a small town, circa 1935 lol (love the description)

As such the dress isn't likely to be the height of sophistication. She even scoffs at it when he shows her. From a meta perspective, the plot device was simply to get Marion into a damsel-in-distress dress, but one which the character as written would never actually choose to wear.

Can't say anything about this as I don't know enough about ladies period fashion to comment lol. I'll have to take your word for it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    christophero30 likes this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 8

May 18, 2017
    So, we're saying that Raiders is not realistic? :p

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval TV Screaming Service / FFS! star 9 Staff Member Manager

Aug 19, 2003
    The physics of some of the booby traps in the opening scene were so questionable that it took me completely out of the film. If they're going to make historical documentary films, the amount of fiction in the opening reel is not a good way to start.

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  8. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    I used to like The Last Crusade better. But lately I prefer Raiders. In my opinion, this is the best film in writing career Kasdan. And also the best story written by Lucas for other director.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 8

May 18, 2017
    Raiders is as close to a perfect popcorn film as you're going to get. The talent behind the camera may never be equaled again.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  10. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    Also editing.