main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Rank the Four Live Action TV Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth Chiznuk , Nov 27, 2022.

?

What is the best live action Star Wars series so far?

1. The Mandalorian

28.9%
  2. The Book of Boba Fett

2.4%
  3. Obi-Wan Kenobi

12.0%
  4. Andor

56.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I completely agree with you and like yourself, if done well, I too will still be able to enjoy any future live action offering; even if they (producers) don't go to the same extent as Andor-level characterisation. Because after all, it's Star Wars and I frick'n love Star Wars.

But I do hope that Lucasfilm, it's Storygroup, all future directors and producers and other creative minds who dabble in the Star Wars Galaxy, all take note in what made Andor great. And that was a quality story with quality characterisation and relationships, acted brilliantly in quality cinematic-like settings - and so much more. For them, I wouldn't take it as a negative - but rather as the base level of quality to build on from for all future stories. Use it as a basic template and level of expectation.

And Mando season 3 already has this potential with the exploration of Mandalore coming up; as well as the number of Mandalorians in it. Firstly, Din knows very little about his people and their history. Secondly, Din was not part of the night of a thousand years. Thirdly, before Bo, Din never knew there were Mandalorians that removed their helmets. And there is so much more outside of Din that has happened.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that although Din is the lead, alot of these factors (which will be important to the overall narrative and Din's character arc) should be explored outside of Din by two other (or more) Mandalorians who actually have knowledge of this stuff - or who actually experienced these events. If it was to be like Andor's level of characterisation, it should be independent of Din. For example, the issue of Bo being at the Purge and the Armourer and her people not being there or helping to fight the Empire should not involve Din. That's between Bo and the Armourer and their respective people's. It should still feed into the overall narrative, but Din is not part of it.

Not all aspects of the overall narrative should be Din's. There should be numerous side stories, character relationships and arcs that help feed into the overall narrative too. It's all of these parallel side parts, in addition to Din's story, that move the story along too.

It's just like in the OT with Han, Leia and Chewie. After they leave Hoth, their journeys became independent of Luke's; but they're still important to the overall narrative. Han chose to go to Bespin because of Lando, Boba Fett was hunting Han because he worked for Jabba and the Empire went to Bespin because Fett told them they were heading there. Nothing of this has anything to do with Luke's character arc or history other than those 3 being used as bait. This is Han's character arc and history - yet it still weaves its way through Luke's and the overall narrative.

It's what Andor did incredibly well and it's what Mando 3 has the same potential of emulating.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Bor Mullet and DannyD like this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Simply, this. :)

Darth__Lobot and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    1. The Mandalorian. A perfect evolution of Star Wars out of the OT era into new ground. The character arcs of Din and Grogu capture the mythic grandeur of the Saga, the structure, while occasionally veering into a feeling 'side-quest distraction' leads to a huge amount of variety in the action and adventures. Some great large scale storytelling like the battle with the Krayt Dragon. The way it connected back to older SW tv material in Season 2 enhanced things even more, making the world more complex without being empty references. Has Gideon, the best live-action tv villain so far, calculating with a brand of subtle menace.

2. The Book of Boba Fett. Despite some rather large flaws, including pacing, the floaty directing of Robert Rodriguez, Boba's static character, and weakly established villains, it still does the job in a similar way to Mando. The 5th and 6th episodes, despite being Mando in all but name, are a fantastic duology, and the finale has a fun full-scale brawl vibe I quite enjoyed. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of odd choices in the making of this thing, but I think on the whole it's a fun time, in a more chaotic way than its source show.

3. Andor. After 3 ponderous, unengaging opening episodes, the show did begin to pick up steam. The Aldhani heist and Narkina 5 prison arcs were very enjoyable, successfully building tension and releasing it in hugely satisfying ways. The finale with its riot was also a strong episode. But a lot of it dragged for me. The show has a flabby pacing at times, with scenes not really flowing (eg. most of the Mon Mothma or ISB plots, which tend to interrupt Cassian's stuff with little rhyme or reason). Cassian himself shone in the middle episodes, but his backstory was sketched out confusingly, leaving me wondering what actually happened on Khenari. The action, outside of the prison riot, was pretty weak as well I thought. The direction seems more geared towards dialogue over everything, so it lacks a certain visual spark. I was actually hoping for a bit more depth in the political scenes as well. Outside of maybe the Saw segments and the finale, it didn't really give me much to chew on.

4. Kenobi. Unnecessary in the extreme is what I'd say. I really didn't get anything out of the reunions of Vader and Obi-Wan, it felt like nothing mattered emotionally and the duels were shot in bland locations. I was already doubtful anything could match the understated ANH reunion, but I was hopeful for some meat on the bone at least. Reva was underwhelming, the episode to episode plot didn't have much weight. Its themes were vague, the action was overly slapsticky or shaky cam based, the much touted flashbacks lasted barely any time and barely added to the present narrative. It just didn't click with me at all.

rocknroll41, Force Nexus and Dandelo like this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Note: these rankings are based on what I preferred watching, rather than which is "objectionably the best"

in order of preference

1. Mandolorian
    2. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    3. Book Of Boba Fett
    4. Andor

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    There is no objective criteria for ranking these.

6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Ok, now everyone rank every live action episode.

Master Jedi Fixxxer and Sarge like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You first.

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    1. Stranger in a Strange Land

Then the rest.

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Really?

3sm1r likes this.
  10. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Yeah that Mando episode where Boba shows up is better than the whole Boba series. It was so amazing.

Darth__Lobot, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I do like them all. I'd acknowledge that OWK and BOBF have janky bits and may be a bit too directed towards fans, but hell, I'm a fan and I overall enjoyed them, more than some of the films. I'd say:
    1) Mando. The best at capturing the SW feel overall without being slavish to it, and often just strikingly good, streamlined filmmaking.
    2) Andor. Quite likely the "best" of the bunch and might take my top spot after S2. I rank it slightly below Mando because it's a little less "quintessential", but that's a fine line. Nailing the "Star Wars feel" would not elevate Mando over Andor if that was all it did (see the other two series), but the fact that it does that and as a totally separate function gets me into the story and characters gives it the slight edge... for now. If Andor stays as good as it is and Mando slips a bit in S3, these would flip for me.
    3 and 4 tied) TBOBF and OWK. Just can't decide as the pluses and minuses are very different from each other in these shows. I seem to like them a LOT more than most, and I think I'd need to rewatch both, which I've only seen as they came out, to really decide. I do feel like both are underrated and it's miraculous that they exist -- like, for context, I like Solo as a movie, but I didn't need it exactly; OWK and TBOBF were more things that I wanted to see, and they are on par with Solo at least, so I can't complain that they're not perfect. Both had some absolutely phenomenal moments that should be keystones in the SW experience and I think that gets buried under the low key disappointment in them overall.

12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    1. The one with Ahsoka
    2. The one with Luke
    3. Kenobi's series finale
    4. Choose one of the two Boba Fett episodes where Boba barely appears and we see Grogu and Luke
    5. Now choose the other one where Boba barely appears but we see Mando and the Armorer
    6. The one with Luthen's speech
    7. The one in Kenobi where Vader toys with Kenobi
    8. The Mandalorian episodes by Taika Waititi, Deborah Chow and Dave Filoni in any order you want
    9. The one in Andor with the Eye of Aldhani
    10. The rest of Kenobi, Andor, Boba Fett and Mando in any order you prefer
    11. The prison break episode in the first season of Mando = the only bad episode out of 41 live action Star Wars episodes

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The best episode of SW tv is clearly BOBF majordomo's slow chase, everything else is nothing but a footnote.

Darth__Lobot and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Book of Boba Fett is questionably weird at times, but I like the off beat nature of the show. It had its own identity. I look back on it more fondly as time passes.

I’ve increasingly grown to dislike Obi Wan more and more, it feels more like a corporate check box version of what Disney thinks a Star Wars project should be, if that makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  15. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    Obi-Wan was blatantly incompetent. Constant shaky cam, underlit environments, bad usage of the Volume, bland, royalty-free music, bad costume design, terrible choreography, terrible action. I don't know why so many people feel outright offended by the Boba Fett show, despite it being at least competently made - with the exception of the slow speeder bike chase. Which was immediately topped by even slower toddler Leia chase. All anyone ever says about Obi-Wan is how they're glad Ewan and Hayden are back, but nothing that merits the actual show. And the climax of the show was blatantly stolen from Star Wars: Rebels. Ugh. That's without going into the intricasies of the writing, and the fact that they got a guy who wrote King Arthur reboot and Army of the Dead to write a script for this. This show was really just a PT nostalgia, and they apparently thought by virtue of that alone it would do fine. But it was by far the most offensive show, and one of the worst shows I've ever seen, IMO.

16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Yeah… it still has a little charm, and I hate to be a negative voice, but I just don’t think it was up to snuff at all on second watch. I was kind of riding high on seeing Ewan back first time around, second time didn’t have that same magic.

17. IG-42

IG-42 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2022
    I rank them like this for the time being...

Andor
    The Mandalorian
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    The Book of Boba Fett

That said, I think the last 4 episodes of season 2 of The Mandalorian is some of the best TV I have ever seen, and the final episode is the best of them all. but right now, I think Andor is the better show. My ranking could change of course with the next seasons.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Obi-wan (and Anakin) shoulda been given the royal treatment, the auteur treatment, not this assembly line Disney+ stuff. That's for unknown Marvel properties, but with your fan favorite characters, with potentially some of the most dramatic story territory in the entire saga? It was their chance to take everything people like from the PT films, the characters, and really execute on a riveting story, instead it had almost no real overall substance, and only a few well executed scenes sandwiched in between a shallow story filled with the same old SW tropes, running around fighting stormtroopers, on a rescue mission, infiltrating an imperial base, more ANH rehash. Is that what they think we want?

We have Rebels and Clone Wars for that kind of saturday morning cartoon stuff. Obi-wan at this juncture had way more interesting character stuff to delve into.

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think many simply disagree that BOBF was more competently made than OWK. I personally think it’s the least competently made, though that’s unsurprising to me given that Rodriguez was at the helm.

And when did natural lighting/ low light environments become a sign of incompetence? It’s a stylistic choice. And one I prefer to the overlit/ oddly BTS-looking cartoonishness of a number of BOBF scenes. But that’s about stylistic preference, not competence.

And by far the most offensive? I can understand not loving it (it’s in third place for me) but I don’t see what’s offensive about it…
    This is an opinion that warrants further discussion. But very slow discussion. Perhaps one word per post.

Sarge and 3sm1r like this.
  20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    01) Andor - 9/10
    02) The Mandalorian - 8.5/10
    03) Obi-Wan Kenobi - 5/10
    04) The Book of Boba Fett - 5/10

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    #fact

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed

23. heyitsharvey

heyitsharvey Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2022
    It's an interesting question because I feel each series showcases different aspects and tones of the universe. Andor is my favourite (but that might be newness bias and more Mon Mothma is great in my book) I love how we got to see a more rounded portrayal of the Empire's inner workings. I'd probably say I love Mandalorian next, for it's skilled decisions of knowing when to be serious, when to lighten it up (but not too much so we end up silly) and when to bring in the heart (of which Mando and Grogu's relationship is filled).
    Then probably Boba Fett and then Obi-Wan. But I love all the TV shows so ranking Obi-Wan lowest is not an indictment. I love how dark and serious that show gets, I sometimes wish that we could have R-Rated Star Wars media but... Disney. Andor is getting close.

24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think Obi Wan is an enjoyable show. i don't quite understand why some people talk about it like its the worst thing ever.

I sometimes wonder how high the standard needs to be here.

I still haven't seen Andor. While the Mandalorian and TBOB i think are fairly similar in tone. the only difference is Mando is a little more heavy in Fanservice and also contrasts of energy. While with TBOB they dared themselves to base the concept on the show purely on Tatooine.

Sky_alma likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    If you haven’t seen Andor yet, what are you doing here yapping? Go see it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.