main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rank the Last Jedi among the SW films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Rank the Last Jedi among the nine SW films?

1. Best of all SW films!

45 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. 2nd best

43 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. 3rd

95 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4th

51 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 5th

49 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. 6th

53 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. 7th

50 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. 8th

47 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Last!

233 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowburn86

Slowburn86 Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2018
    ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    RO
    ROTS
    TPM
    TFA
    AOTC
    TLJ
    I haven't watched Solo yet. Hopefully soon.

2. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm not ranking the films anymore. It's all one story broke up into pieces. Pieces that I love.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Graphic, dolphin, Blobofat and 4 others like this.
  3. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Has anyone gone back and forth a lot on TLJ? It's like it's divisive in my own mind, let alone in the wider fanbase.

After I first saw it, I felt weird and hollow. I discussed it online, read some analysis of it, let the surprises sink in. Then I saw it again and came out saying it was an absolute masterpiece.

But six months later, I rewatched it and I kind of feel like I first did.

If I had to rank the films based on the love I currently feel for them, it would probably be something like:

1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. TPM
    6. TLJ
    7. ROTS
    8. AOTC
    9. Solo
    10. R1

Cave of Erised likes this.
  4. RuinJohnson

RuinJohnson Jedi Padawan

Jun 6, 2018
    1. RoTJ
    2. Empire

3. RoTS
    4. TFA
    5. R1

6. TPM
    7. Solo
    8. ANH

9. AoTC

10. TLJ

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    MS1, -LordSkywalker- and Glitterstimm like this.
  5. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    1. TPM
    1. AOTC
    1. TCW
    1. ROTS
    1. SOLO
    1. RO
    1. ANH
    1. TESB
    1. ROTJ
    1. TFA
    1. TLJ

Slowburn86, dolphin and ezekiel22x like this.
  6. Darth-Lunatic

Darth-Lunatic Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2001
    The last jedi is easily the worst.

2Cleva, MS1, lookameatbag and 7 others like this.
  7. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    TESB
    ANH
    TLJ
    R1
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    SOLO
    TFA
    TPM
    AOTC

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It's my least favorite after TFA. It's not as mediocre as TFA but it's still very mediocre. It's still shocking to me how far removed in quality these two episodes are from the quality of the six Lucas movies.

9. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    I rewatched it recently and I kinda regret that. It worked way better for me on my theatrical viewing, but after seeing it again like a week ago I think it's actually my least favourite. I at least like every other film in the series though, and I love many.

10. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Probably my most popular thread in 20 years. Not sure that’s a good thing. Haha

11. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Is quality objective or subjective? I actually think the ST films have some of the best quality of all the saga since Epsidoes 4 & 5 in terms acting, costumes, and visuals. I can understand one not liking the choices made and arguments why they don’t fit, but I have trouble seeing how the quality of these aspects are poor. For example, defending the sea cow is not a hill I want to die on and I don’t think it’s needed in the story, but from a quality perspective, the sea cow looks well made.

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I suppose that in some instances quality can refer to certain physical properties (e. g., the quality of the construction of a bridge), but we're talking about movies here, so obviously it's entirely subjective.

Link1130, Cave of Erised and dolphin like this.
  13. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    It's easily my favorite of the series. I really liked the way it returned to the series to its roots as a wild pop culture mashup. It was a world war 2 homage and a tribute to Kurosawa, with a light dusting of Casablanca and The Third Man. The cinematography and acting were top notch; as a film buff, each time I see this movie, I find something new to appreciate about it. It even explained the force in a way that didn't seem like a cringey attempt at datamining zen buddhism via wikipedia. I will welcome this movie when it claims its spot in endless repeat weekend viewings on TBS.

14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Same. Many who saw ANH in theaters came out of theaters after ESB confused and full of questions. Over time it came to be known as one of the finest pieces of cinema. Wouldn’t put TLJ that far but over time it will gain appreciation from among the other half of the fandom that felt cheated. After 10 viewings it remains at #4 (after the OT)

15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Slashfilm’s streaming review feels similarly.

https://www.slashfilm.com/best-movies-streaming-right-now-last-jedi/

Cave of Erised and rorow1 like this.
  16. Jabba'sNumber1Fan

Jabba'sNumber1Fan Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2018
    1: Rotj - so much Jabba!
    2: Esb - His plan comes to fruition!
    3: Anh (special edition) - he's such a great guy, he wanted to help Han, and maybe he could even have joined the rebellion if not for his responsibilities!
    4: Tpm - Majestic. Regal. Noble. One of a Kind.
    5: Aotc - well at least they spent a lot of time on the best planet in the Galaxy. Tatooine, Jabba's summer home!
    6: Solo - at least he's mentioned, if not by name then by reputation, a " BIG shot gangster!!"
    7: Tfa - no Jabba . . .
    8: R1- no Jabba?
    9: Rots - something is wrong here . . .
    10: Tlj - RJ is ruining childhoods, when will he be stopped

17. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ROTS
    ESB
    AOTC
    TLJ/TFA (tie)

18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    My rankings:

1) TESB

2) R1

3) ROTJ

4) ANH

5) TCW and Rebels

6) TFA and TPM

7) Solo [good acting, but an unnecessary story]

8) AOTC, ROTS, and TLJ

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    mirrorbright and MagnarTheGreat like this.
  19. Alpha Spook

Alpha Spook Jedi Padawan

Jun 27, 2018
    Just watched it for the first time and it's the second worst for me. Has a lot of incredibly dumb moments like space Leia and Rose crashing into Finn among others, and I still don't care about Rey at all she's quite annoying, but a lot of good to great things in the movie like the Battle of Crait as a whole, Luke force projecting, and Kylo Ren. I don't hate it like others do but can't understand why some would considered this the gold standard of SW.

20. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    1) ANH - It's what started the SW love for me.
    2) ESB - Grittier look at SW world building, but also the twist of all twists.
    3) ROTJ - Still love this film, even with the Ewoks getting a bit too much screen time.
    4) TLJ - I was one of the people that just loved it from beginning to end. Of course I have nitpicks, but I still love it.
    5) TFA - Never thought I'd see SW again. Very solid entry to 'reboot' the franchise.
    6) RO/Solo - I know it's a cheap way to make a list but I thoroughly enjoyed both Anthology films. RO might have the slight edge, but it's too close.
    8) TPM - Holds up better than I thought. The Maul fight is worth it alone.
    9) ROTS - Love the saber battles, but I feel the pacing is off at times.
    10) AOTC - Love the Obi-Wan stuff for the most part, but it's over-the-top cheesy and a CGI-fest at times.

MaciekRS and Contreras1991 like this.
  21. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    1. ROTJ
    2. ESB
    3. ANH
    4. Rogue One
    5. TFA
    6. ROTS
    7. AOTC
    8. TLJ
    9. TPM
    I hesitated about whether to put TLJ below AOTC, but AOTC won out because it is my guilty pleasure. I don't think it's objectively good but I love watching it over and over for reasons I still don't understand. For The Last Jedi, I think it has a lot of merits, but I don't really get excited to watch it in the same way as AOTC because I have to handwave away so much through headcanons. Maybe Anakin/Padma is a struggle, but I don't need any headcanons to understand it. lol

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Kole and MagnarTheGreat like this.
  22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    1, Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith
    2, Star Wars Return Of The Jedi
    3, Star Wars The Empire Strike Back
    4, Star Wars A New Hope
    5, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    6, Star Wars The Last Jedi
    7, Star Wars Attack Of The Clones
    8. Solo : A Star Wars Story
    9, Star Wars The Force Awakens
    10, Star Wars The Phantom Menace

23. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    1) A new Hope & Empire strikes back

needless to say anything i guess...

2) Return of the Jedi & Revenge of the Sith

As a child RotJ was my favorite Movie EVER. All those Puppets in Jabbas Palace. All those Fantasy/Fairy Tale Themes, Spacebattles, Speederbikes and Lightsabers ... the Emperor. But something has changed. Maybe my Adult-Me cant stand those absolute "Awe feelings" of my Kid-Me any longer. hm
    RotS has grown on me alot. In 2005 i dont liked it as much as i wanted. But now, and i would say i have to thanks TCW for that, i love this movie. Yes it has those cheesy Moments, but it feels (at least for me) just right. Roger, Roger?

3) Rogue One & The Phantom Menace & The Force Awakens

I like Rogue One. The Characters are so interesting but not well written enough. And i like what the Movie does add to the Lore. I love the Book thats about Jyn's Parents though.
    TPM. In almost the same way in that RotS has grown on me did it TPM as well... almost. What really gives me goosebumps about this movie is this little Teaser with Shmi's Monologe: God why wasnt this in the Movie, Anakin has nightmares all the time.... argh ;)
    I really enjoyd TFA. It felt like a Loveletter to the Spirit and excitement that Star Wars is known for. The Humor was almost a bit to much here and there, but it still worked for me. A promising start...

4) Attack of the Clones & The last Jedi

I dont like AotC. Not a bit. I want to, but nope. The Plot could have been interesting and dark but the Acting is just... what? And i dont want to start blaming Hayden. I guess he is a "Director-Actor" and got not much of an direction to act on... The Shame and Blame goes to Mr. McGregor. You didnt liked your fake Beard huh?
    The last Jedi. The Humor was Waaaay to off for me. It felt like they wanted to try to emulate Tarantinos Style, dark and funny at the same time. But instead they five-point-palm themselfs... jup they did! I still like Rey in the Rain.

Solo is out of my List because i didnt see it ... yet

Sleepy76 likes this.
  24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I’ve now actually sat down and watched The Last Jedi for the sixth time now. The last being yesterday evening in fact..
    I can report that despite the minor issues I continue to have with it since my initial cinema viewing?
    I still really enjoy it, and especially those standout scenes!
    Also the Canto Bight segment, which many felt was a distraction and a waste.
    Canto Bight without question instantly ‘felt’ like it belongs in the GFFA. It’s just how it was utilised

25. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    1.RTOTJ
    2.ESB
    3.ANH
    4.ATOC
    5.TPM
    6.TFA
    7.TLJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.