main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rank the Last Jedi among the SW films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Rank the Last Jedi among the nine SW films?

1. Best of all SW films!

45 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. 2nd best

43 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. 3rd

95 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4th

51 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 5th

49 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. 6th

53 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. 7th

50 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. 8th

47 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Last!

233 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Bad enough to warrant the harassment of actors, writers, creators, producers, and fans with blatant racism, backhanded sexism, disgusting bigotry, and toxicity?

No. No, it is not.

2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    It’s a bad film but no one deserves to be harassed. But the vast, vast majority of us who hate TLJ don’t do that and aren’t like that. We are simply Star Wars fans who have enjoyed the franchise for decades and are profoundly disappointed and saddened by what has been done to films and characters that we have been invested in for many, many years. And the worst part is that it didn’t need to be this way. The filmmakers could have easily gone forward and told a new and creative and wonderful story while also showing respect to the characters and films that came before it.

And please see @AhsokaSolo ’s post directly after mine

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    There's sexism, racism, backhanded sexism, disgusting bigotry, and toxicity on BOTH sides of this TLJ divide. So yeah, I guess TLJ is bad enough to inspire that all around.

4. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    You guys do realize in my initial post. I said that both sides are toxic, right?

Maybe I should have mentioned that TLJ isn’t that good, either.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Mea culpa, although, yeah, it is that bad, because that's what happened. It's obviously not justified. It just is what it is. TLJ oddly brings out extreme opinions on all sides. I see it even in conversations that aren't hateful at all, but just really opinionated. I was talking to a very casual fan friend about it. She really liked TLJ, and I hated it. We were talking generally about how life is too short to waste our time on films we don't enjoy watching, and then she said I should try TLJ again with a different perspective lol. It was so weird. She laughed and agreed when I was like, "um, but why would I want to do that when I could just watch something I like?" But even that it seemed like something to suggest in the context of what we were talking about seemed strange. She really wanted me to change my mind.

6. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    What? Where is the racism and sexism for people who liked TLJ...

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is a film ranking thread. Forget the previous warning that everyone ignored: THIS is the warning.

Rank the films and move on. No ranking others' rankings or ranking of others'rankings of others'rankings of rankings.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    one thing I think TLJ has is a lot of re watch ability it seems to get better each time I watch it. not exactly sure wear I would rank it now but I believe in 10 years when the film is ten years old people who didn't quite care for it will like it a lot more then when they first saw it. I watched it again today after watching TFA and I loved both films a lot but feel TLJ is a great follow up film to TFA I think it blends the PT and OT really well and has great cinematography!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  9. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    The heroes journey is a masculine archetype. You can only tweak it so far. Rey is an awesome character and a great hero, but the TLJ makes a way out of touch social commentary on male behavior being wrong and it can't translate that into a palatable story , because it isn't reality.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    We are not going down that road here.

11. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Saw both this and Solo again recently.

Now that Solo has grown on me, I rank this one as only my 7th-favorite beneath ANH, ESB, RotJ, TFA, Solo, and R1, while still being above TPM, RotS, and AotC.

Everything with Rey, Kylo, Luke, Snoke, Leia, and Yoda all still works beautifully for me, but everything going on with all of the other characters unfortunately still does not.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Cave of Erised likes this.
  12. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. The Empire Strikes Back | 10/10
    2. A New Hope | 9.5/10
    3. The Last Jedi | 9/10
    4. Revenge of the Sith | 9/10
    5. Rogue One | 8.5/10
    6. The Phantom Menace | 8/10
    7. Return of the Jedi | 8/10
    8. Attack of the Clones | 7.5/10
    9. The Force Awakens | 7.5/10
    10. Solo | 7/10
    11. The Clone Wars | 7/10
    12/10/2018 Update

13. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    ESB
    R1
    TLJ
    ANH
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    TFA
    Solo
    AOTC
    TPM

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ROTJ: 9/10 (did not like the Jabba Palace scenes)
    ESB: 9/10 (did not like Luke whining on Dagobah)
    ANH: 9/10 (did not like Luke whining on Tatooine)
    TPM: 8/10 (the child actors needed more direction)
    AOTC: 7/10 (great movie other than the Anakin-whining scenes)
    ROTS: 4/10 (loved the first 45 minutes to an hour, loved the ending, hated the rest)
    TFA: 6/10 (mostly a fun ride, lost points for Han dying)
    TLJ: 3/10 (loved Crait, loved the Porgs, liked the political commentary of Canto Blight, hated the rest)
    Solo: 6/10 (mostly a fun ride, but I couldn’t stand Qi’ra)
    Rogue One: 10/10 . No criticisms at all.

15. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    After seeing Solo

ESB
    ROTS
    Solo
    RO
    ANH
    ROTJ
    AOTC
    TPM
    TFA
    TLJ

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Mange and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  16. Vizzy91

Vizzy91 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2018
    Mine is:

ROTS
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    RO
    TLJ
    Solo
    TFA
    AOTC
    TPM

17. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Just rewatched. Confirmed #1.

18. greediwasamushroom

greediwasamushroom Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2018
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ

ROTS
    TPM
    TFA
    AOTC

TLJ

Mange, afrojedi, 11-4D and 2 others like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    RO
    ANH/ ESB
    Solo
    TFA/ TLJ
    ROTJ
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  20. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Personally:

1. Empire
    2. ROTJ
    3. ANH
    4. TLJ
    5. TPM
    6. TFA
    7. ROTS
    8. AOTC

Love R1 & Solo a whole bunch too, just not sure where to actually rank them amongst the saga entries.

21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTS- 10/10 (minus Padme's role, the film is so well-done. Made me a SW fan)

ESB- 10/10 (I can do without the Asteroid chase scenes and some of Leia's characterization, but definitely a great ride)

TPM- 9/10 (Incredibly underrated film. The last light-hearted SW movie. Basically SW at its most fantasy escapist)

AOTC- 8/10 (Has a slow middle, but the beginning chase scene, Obi-Wan's side plot, and the Battle of Geonosis is great. I even like most of the Padme/Anakin scenes like the meadow)

Solo- 8/10 (FINALLY a Disney SW movie where the Empire and Rebellion isn't the main conflict. I never liked Han much, but Alden did a great job of warming me up to the character. Its a bit clunky in the beginning and some of it doesn't always land, but this is the most fun I had with SW in a long time)

ANH- 7/10 (I'm pretty neutral on this film. It kicked off the franchise, so it gets points, but I think SW has evolved in many ways beyond this)

ROTJ- 4 to a 5/10 (Love the ending, love everything with Luke and Vader, love Luke using his saber on Jabba's barge. Not a big fan of anything else really)

TLJ- 4 to a 6/10 depending on mood. (Better than TFA, but I've already said what needs to be said on this one)

RO- 3/10 (A way better SW film than TFA, and the only Disney film to feel like a technological successor to what George accomplished in ROTS. Also the Battle of Scarif is a visual delight. However, I hated what they did with Saw Gererra, and the first half is just clunky)

TFA- 2/10 (Mindless popcorn flick. A good time if ya catch it on TV, but have no interest in rewatching)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Lately I'd go:

1. AOTC
    2. ANH
    3. ROTS
    4. ROTJ
    5. ESB
    6. TPM
    7. Solo
    8. TFA
    9. R1
    10. TLJ

Love the original saga. Solo was okay I guess but I need to watch it again. Either I had a headache going in or the action scenes gave me one. I've actually been appreciating TFA a tad bit more than I used to. Not a good continuation of the series, but if I just view it as a tribute to the original film it's much less offensive. R1 is so bland it's like eating a room temperature Eggo waffle with nothing on it. TLJ reminds me of the latter seasons of Family Matters where ideas like Steve Urkel transforming himself into Bruce Lee actually made it on screen.

23. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    @ezekiel22x How do you rank the films in order of lightsaber battle / lightsaber battle editing?

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I wrote about saber battles back in this thread (#14). That was before the new films, though, which don't do much for me on this front aside from Rey vs. Kylo in TFA being adequate.

25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. TLJ
    4. RO
    5. TFA
    6. ROTS
    7. ROTJ
    8. SOLO
    9. TPM