main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    What do you make of the different types of Galactic Alliance we got btw? In the NJO it was a replacement for the New Republic, renamed and reorganised separate of the Empier and other states. In later series though it worked more like United Nations, European Union and that as incorporating the Empire etc. What about semiindependent territories and client states like Hapes that were a part of the New Republic but are treated as fully independant like the Empire in later depictions under the umbrella organisation of the GA? And if the GA is the United Nations version later, what name does the Republican territory/part use for itself then? Also GA??? At least before it changed again and the Empire and Hapes went separate ways once more after the Second Galactic Civil War. In Legacy comics it is once more treated as a Republic substitute and not United Nations type which is a state it may have returned to after said civil war.

So kinda, the NR became the GA, added Vong war allies as client states turning to United Nations, but when it became too centrist and a civil war happened, Hapes and the Empire did a Brexit so to speak.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I always felt the GA was somewhat of a federalized European Union.

States like the Hapans and Imperials were integrated into it somewhat, but it’s central authority grew greater and that led to tensions with independent minded worlds like Corellia.

3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Double post sorry, reading more of DW.

Jacen had his time with Dani (I ship them together and I like them).

Interesting about the Vong stuff all having a common gene.

I do like the Ackbar briefing scene. How he lays out basicly how the war will be won. And it makes sense. It might not be heroic or epic, but this is how real wars are won.

The council scene. I like all the discussions and info. Kyp and Luke are good. I also like that Luke knows something is up with that one guy. Also Saba seems less annoying than normal.

The ceremony reminds me of the end of ANH and KOTOR. It's also nice how he gives them a few words.

I am not a fan of the 'Sword of the Jedi' comes to define her later. I don't hate the prophecy. It suits her in this war, I could see her being a constant peace keeper and hero.

And afterwards, they talk about how bad it was the way they got Cal elected. Good to see.

Jaina has BAD PTSD and survivors guilt, she needs rest.

Now onto Duro. I like Jacen leading the battle, very cool to see. Also cool that the Vong helped Duro.

The bombardment is interesting in how the characters view it.

So Red Alpha is revealed and Vergere removes it. I did not expect it to happen so quickly.

So now we go to Ebaq 9.

This book is moving along very quickly.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    And now it is done.

I liked the battle I had a good sense of what was happening and how the fleets moved and all the tricks the NR used.

It was a good ending.

Vergere sacrifices herself, a final proof if any was needed that she was a jedi.

Now onto force heretic and my fav opening of any NJO books

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Sudooku and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Interesting point, actually. When was the last time a Sith sacrificed herself for the 'greater good'?

6. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Jacen Solo did... :p unless you count Darth Vader in ROTJ... or Revan him/herself! I could go on if you want!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    "it's good to be remembered as a martyr without actually having to be dead, wouldn't you say?"

:p

SiouxFan likes this.
  8. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    We now consider Anakin a Jedi, and probably should extend the same to Jacen. I know nothing about Revan.

AusStig likes this.
  9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm telling you I'm hoping we get a New Jedi Order trilogy during the time Luke is attempting to rebuild the Order. even though we know what happens to them, they still probably had adventures and dealt with minor conflicts. It can be a cross between the Jedi Academy trilogy and The Young Jedi Knight series of books combined.

I also wanna know if in like Legends, Luke had to ask Chancellor Mon Mothma's permission to build the Jedi Praxeum/Training temple.

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Vergere dying so jacen could maybe potentially become a Sith 13 years later, has got to be one of the strangest acts an alleged Sith has ever done. It’s so utterly out of line with how Sith conduct themselves and what Sith value.

If Vergere was a Sith, she definitely was an unusual one.

SiouxFan, ColeFardreamer and AusStig like this.
  11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Now onto the Force Heretic 1.

When I got the audio books for these I had just finished Fate of the Jedi. In those books Saba and her kind were so, self important, self-righteous and just horrible in general (threatening to eat a little girl and another jedi cause they found their nest? what). I just wanted them all to die.

So then I got to this book and had my wish granted, her home world gone and a lot of her people dead by her own actions (she let her emotions over take her, not a jedi thing to do).

But more importantly, what I really love about this book is that it deals with the issue of winning really well and how to win morally.

This is the best thing NJO did, it said 'it's not enough just to win, you have to win in the right way'. The ends are just as important as the means. I like this, not enough Star Wars (or fiction in general) has the guts to say "Beating the bad guys isn't enough, you have to do it in the right way".

Although I miss chapters, they give books some real punch I feel.

Also it is weird that Nom is surprised by the jedi heresy being on Coruscant, since in the last book he went to one of their meetings.

Sudooku and Gamiel like this.
  12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Sorry for the double post.

Read more of FH1.

I like a lot of it, the Empire getting beaten by the Vong, Nom using his skills to get the outcastes into his debt. The stuff with black fleet aliens. I did kind of see that twist coming, though. Honestly I think this how most of the galaxy would have reacted to the Vong if the Empire was still in charge.

I don't like Pellaeon though. Or to say this one. I don't like saint 'he is a good decent man' Pellaeon. Cause he is none of those things. The man was a slaver and a war criminal. He wasn't even a 'good' imperial (like Daala, who allowed women and aliens into the ranks). So this annoys me. I think it would have more interesting if he had died and Jacen had convinced the Moff to help. That way the Empire in the war but the NR can't trust them, rather than having him ride in and kill any tension.

Tahiri is interesting, I am interested in seeing how this goes. I do like how she is written, thinking about all the Solos as they relate to Anakin, it's a nice touch.

ColeFardreamer and Gamiel like this.
  13. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Force Heretic is one of the most unfairly maligned parts of the series, in my opinion.

14. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I think they made amends in this point in "Rebels" , "Aftermath" or "Kanan - The Last Padawan", letting women ascend the imperial ladder much earlier.

Regarding Nom I would have liked to know, how exactly he left Ebaq 9. Suddenly he's on Coruscant. And I missed Vergere telling him some last words. In the last time they were together, I felt their relationship was getting better as months passed by, not so much rivalry but more refreshing and inspiring banter. And Vergere stopped caling him a mere agent but addressed him with his title Executor.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Um, my point was that Pellaeon had nothing to do with these things.

Also I didn't Nom was ever at Ebaq. I thought he was on coruscant the entire time.

So the heroes free the slaves.

saint Emperial says 'the empire will always strike back'. They win the battle.

Nom surives the attack on his place and sets out to become someone else, something else.

more bickering between the useless and the worthless in the Empire.

I do like the Ryn spies and Jacen and Danni getting together. I like them as a couple.

Sudooku likes this.
  16. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I think it's fair. Apart from looking looking for ZS and NA setting up the Shamed One rebellion, everything else is padding. Meaning the series could easily have been one book.

AusStig likes this.
  17. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    You know, one thing I kind of wanted to see was a book maybe by Zahn that covered say a Yuuzhan Vong fleet in the Unknown Regions and the Empire of the Hand along with the Chiss fighting them to a standstill. Mostly cause I would loved to had seen Zahn write a shrewd Vong commander.

Sudooku likes this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Zahn wasn’t a fan of the tone and darkness of the NJO, but yeah I would love to see zahn writing a book from a nas choka or Czulkang Lah sort of vong commander.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Sudooku like this.
  19. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    And I thought that time: What the hell was Yoog Skell's business on Ebaq 9? It makes more sense like this.

Maybe in TFU Nom Anor went tired to become somebody else, something else after the umptieth survival. He saw that it would repeat and repeat over and over again without the chance of being Nom Anor again in public ever. And for he was sick of living in constant hiding, he surrendered.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So I dive into FH2.

An interesting start, I like that they are off to meet the Chiss.

Han and Leia seem to be on a 'cleaning up bantam stuff'. Disappointed that Luke didn't adopt the girl outright and that she is now off the rails.

The messege of the jedi grows, very interesting.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    This was an interesting book, and I quite enjoyed it.

Needed a hefty amount of narrative work later on, mind you, for the Chiss scenes.

22. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    This also bugged me. After Gaerial dies, there's a mention of Luke being her 'sponsor', but I'd like to think that a Jedi Master would do more than just send a few credits every month.

I just finished re-reading 'Dark Journey' for the first time since it was released and thought it to be better than I'd remembered. However, it does make it hard to like Jaina...a character I'd always had a tough time with anyway. She's okay with altering Lowbacca's memory, is okay with 'the end justifying the means', is fine with torturing, and doesn't seem to mind sending pilots out as bait. All-in-all, a much better candidate for Lumiya later.

I also found several instances of the 'one force' idea mentioned...several books before 'Traitor'...and she seems to be okay with the idea.

Anakin's funeral did seem out of place in this...like Ms. Cunningham shoe-horned it in. Apparently this rankled a bit, because I think we see another funeral later, correct?

What I think is the biggest tragedy, however, is the lack of time Tenel Ka has on screen. It is HER world, after all...and set in HER house mainly...a bit more would have been good. Her best friend -- someone she's loved for a couple of years -- is dead, her mother is dying, her home is about to be invaded, and her other close friend is dabbling in the Dark Arts (to steal a HP term). Does she get any support from any of her 'friends'? No. Jaina shuts her out, Zekk tells her she abandoned Jacen above Myrkr, and Tahiri is barely mentioned at all. For as close as everyone is purported to be, no one is talking to anyone.

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

The issue with foster children, adoption and the like is problematic and terribly handled in Legends. Not just Luke with Malinza Thanas. There also is the Anakin Solo lookalike boy that the Solos took care of that just vanished without a trace from the story. Yet later they pretend to adopt Allana as undercover Amelia Solo.

Guess in the GFFA anybody can adobt and its not as regulated as in the real world. Pity for lack of interesting storytelling there with the complications and opportunities of patchwork families.

Maybe Danielle Kieran also was no biological daughter of Han but the kid of a fling he had, which considered herself his daughter ever since but he abandoned her despite or because not being biologically related.

Only successful adotions I know of would be the Chiss/Fel Shadow Child system, Cindel Towani adopted by Noa Briqualon, Mandalorian adoption culture as well as the Larses adopting Luke, and Organas Leia.

24. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm enjoying that everyone's roughly up to the same part as me haha.

I'm putting FH2 off until the vongcast reviews FH3 and I can smash both out back to back.

SWpants likes this.
  25. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Vanishes without a trace? He goes off to work with the documentarian.