main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social [Real Life Geekery] RPF Meet Up Thread - London September 2011?

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    :oops:

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Yay!! :D

ETA - I've edited the first post to reflect what we've discussed here. Am assuming we're all in agreement re: Forbidden Planet, but we still need a time... :D

3. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    *grins*

You carry it in your shoulders; you walk and hum it.;)
    Only you have to walk in 1-and-a-half strides, face straight ahead, shoulders back unless you're talking to your master, in which case you turn to look at him when he asks you a question. You're also expected to stop when he does, wait for him to start again before you do, and answer all his questions in the subtle code that only you and he understand, and none of the rest of the court.
    If it's a subordinate, you don't have to look at them unless you want to make a point.
    In that case, you turn at the end of the line of stormtroopers and point your finger at him, tell him exactly how very disappointed you are in minimal words and subtally hint to his demise should he/she fail you again.

And an Imperial Calendar...Now that would be cool...[face_hypnotized]
    Maybe I should make one!!
    I'm sure you can get calendar templates on the internet somewhere...

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    How about we agree to meet at 12pm just inside the station i.e. Leicester Tube Station? That strikes me as the best thing. Then we can meander to wherever. Forbidden Planet closes at 6pm on Sundays, which is neat. Exchange numbers, etc, so we don't lose each other. And photo's, to make doubly sure that we don't lose each other.

I met some guys from the UK area, once, and was quite unsure who they were, so I stood next to one of them and rang them. I am quite likely to do that to one of you guys! [face_laugh]

5. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    That sounds good to me. :D

6. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I am for doing it Hitchcock-style and wear white flowers or something . . .

:)

7. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    I'll wear my black pirate hat with the huge red feather. :D
    I stand out like a sore thumb unless a national group convention of Space Pirate Geeks walks past.

Now, I need to renew my 16-25 railcard, buy tickets, ect ect ect...

EDIT: Leicester Tube is on the Northern Line- same as Euston! And its only one change to get to it from the Victoria Line! [face_dancing] Wooo Yeah!

8. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    ... I am probably going to look depressingly ordinary in comparison. :p It's cold enough that it'll probably be a black coat and boots for me. Maybe I can find a bright scarf or something.

I've edited the time and new place in the first post. Any objections, please speak up, preferably before 29 Nov. :D

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Why not, as a test of our art-and-craft skillz, why don't we contrive to make up little badges that say RPF in big letters?

Or a sticky label, and slap it on the jacket. That will give us something to look out for.

Swapping mobile numbers will be vital for me, cos if I do turn up on time, it will be nothing short of a miracle - I'm not a morning person.

Is anyone here on Facebook? If so, that would give us a look at your ugly mugs! :p

10. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Better than that, I have a denim coat with my screenname on. I'll wear that and spook all the little kids on the train.
    Hey, its been clinically proven that all the late nights with the computer screen illimunating my face have given me a healthy white glow!
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/Aliensimpsons.png]
    So there!:p
    Although I think I'm gonna need to put on some sun tan lotion if I'm gonna be walking around outside.[face_worried]
    "AHHHHH! Natural Light! Get it off of me! Get it off of me!"

If anyone wants the link to my facebook, PM me with a good reason.:D

11. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Well then ... I shall find a picture and PM that and my cell number to you guys. :D I do have fb but I haven't uploaded new photos in a while.

12. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    For those few who never had the pleasure of being frightened by my horrible looks, I´ll send a pic of me, as soon as I can find anything resembling me. I upload pictures of myself on rare occassions only. But might be able to find something, somewhere around the web . . .

There is a chance I have to work on Sunday. If so, I would love to meet with you one-by-one over the following weeks . . . I wanted to throw that threat at you in advnace. How far, close are people to London now? Winged is a Scot, i understand. Sith-I in London, as is xany then. Sinre, you can drive there, so that means i can also drive to you if I find the time . . . and I want to have tea with you. Teatime is a british clichee I love :D

-Fin-

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I don't drive, actually, I simply live on the train line. That doesn't stop me from seeing you, of course. :D

I shall sort a picture out, methinks.

14. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Alright, PMs sent!

Fins - I love teatime! Teatime is awesome. :D Tea and scones ... mmmm. :D

As for another meetup, I will be in London for those two weeks, but not for all of it - am going to Paris for a couple of days, and might be going to Southampton. We'll see. I'm trying to work out my schedule at the moment.

15. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Just brought my train ticket- I'm all set! :D

*bounces up and down in excitement*

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yep, I am in South London. So where are you based, Fin?

17. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I think it was East End. Someone else did the booking, as it is actually a working-trip with a small RPF meeting break. :p

My chances of getting there on 29th are 50/50 right now. Should know it by Saturday.

18. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Less than a week to go! *bounce bounce...* :D

So Fins can't make it after all, yes? :( I'm happy to meet up again sometime after that, if it can be arranged - I'll be in Paris from 1-3 Dec and I'm leaving on the 9th, so sometime then would be fine.

19. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    No, I won´t be there. I am afraid. But I will arrive on 4th of December and then stay for about a motnh, so I hope I can make some appointments and meet you guys (and ladies) whenever my schedule allows it!

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    :( Ho hum, Fin, we'll sort it out eventually!

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    PM sent of pic(s) and mob number!

22. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Sorry I haven't got time to PM everyone with a phone number and photo- I'm on the family computer.

But, I will definatly be wearing either my denim coat or my pirate hat. I stick out like a sore thumb.

This is kinda what I look like.
    Only I won't be dressed up completly pirate.
    [image=http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss55/Clonetroopersrule/GEDC0200.jpg]

23. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    So ... I got to meet Sinre, Sithy and Helenith! :D

Wing and Fins couldn't make it after all ( :() but it was great fun nonetheless. :D I ran into Sinre almost immediately after arriving at Leicester Square and met Helenith not soon after - that pirate hat is really awesome! - and Sithy met us later on at Forbidden Planet thanks to train issues.

Speaking of Forbidden Planet, that may be my new favourite store. :D So much stuff! It took us a while to find it (I'm looking at you here, Sinre) but we must've been there for a couple hours at least just browsing. I finally got me a copy of the Essential Atlas; Sithy was a gentleman and let me have the last one. [:D] After that we went to Pizza Hut for lunch, where we polished off a couple of pizzas and spent a great deal of time <s>gossiping</s> chatting about the rest of you lot who weren't there. Er, games, I mean. It was all about games. [face_mischief]

I sadly forgot to bring my camera, but Sithy and Helenith both did, so we should be getting pictures up soonish... :D

24. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Ya pictures! :D

Glad to hear that you all had a good time! Wish I could've stopped by but...there's this big, big ocean between New Jersey and London. And the cost may've just been a little much so........yeah. I'll wait for a meetup that's much closer [face_laugh]

Ya pirates!

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Gosh, you guys are fast!

So here, as pre-announced, are Sith-I-5, Darthelinith, SinRebirth, DarthXan318 in a Pizza Hut booth off Leicester Square in London (twinned with Tipoca City).

[image=http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/yavin1pics/random/RPF2009.jpg]

Gosh, the weather was terrible; but the company, GREAT!

I have spent a number of years around Star Wars fans, not least in the Moons of Yavin, but the sheer enthusiasm of Sinre and the others was many levels above what I have experienced before!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.