main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rebel Choice (Pooja Naberrie, ANH, Dissolving the Senate) COMPLETE!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AngelQueen, Aug 4, 2005.

1. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Title: Rebel Choice
    Author: AngelQueen
    Timeframe: pre-ANH through ANH
    Characters: Pooja Naberrie, various OCs, minor Bail Organa, Leia, and Palpatine, etc.
    Genre: Drama, political
    Keywords: Imperial Senate, politics, rebels
    Summary: What happened on Imperial Center when the Emperor dissolved the Senate?
    Notes: I'll be posting parts here around twice a week, hopefully on Mondays and Thursdays, but that depends on how much I am able to work on this due to DRL. I would also like to thank the wonderful JediMasterRev for being such an excellent beta for this story!

Prologue

"Participating in the Imperial Senate, in those days, was akin to performing in a hideous play. Senators, once regarded as the noble representatives of the people, now played the parts of pitiful, corrupt bureaucrats. If the Emperor, in his wisdom, decreed that a new law should be passed, there was little they would say to stop it. Only a brave, hardy few dared to challenge this farce. Far too many of them lived in fear of losing their ill-gotten fortunes and thus they remained silent. Cowards, the lot of them.

"But as time passed and the stirrings of discontent grew louder, the play began a new act. One that would alter the ending the Emperor had already written for us."

-From the writings of Pooja Naberrie Lydonia, Senator of Naboo

Many regarded Imperial Center as the greatest monument to the Galactic Empire. Though it had taken nearly a decade and a half, the planet was restored to its glory after the end of the chaotic, destructive Clone Wars. Buildings were no longer smashed by debris falling through the atmosphere. The view from the Senators? residence wing in the Imperial Palace was considered beautiful, breath-taking even.

Pooja Lydonia, the Senator of the sovereign system of Naboo, considered it unnatural. The multitude of durasteel springing up from the surface, the long stretches of speeders and other transports slipping through the grey skies. It wasn?t pleasant, as all of it stood out sharply in her eyes.

She sighed quietly and turned away from the window. Her thoughts always turned maudlin after leaving an Emergency Relief Committee meeting. The Committee?s problem was always the same: there were numerous worlds in need of governmental assistance, but not enough credits available in the Committee?s limited budget. Matters had only been made worse when, earlier in the week, the Emperor and his Senate cronies managed to vote down yet another request to allot more funds to deal with the overwhelming need for aid throughout the Empire.

Pooja sank into the chair behind her large desk, shaking her head at the remembrance of those earlier events. The Emperor had dropped any façade of caring for the people he ruled over many years before. Perhaps even before her appointment as Senator over eleven years ago. His anti-alien stance had become a normal fixture within Senatorial politics and had taken root within both civilian government officials and officers in the military alike.

In Pooja?s view, really, the Empire had become as corrupt as the Republic had been in its final years, and it had not even taken as long. She had followed the politics of the Republic and the Empire since she was a girl, much to the hidden chagrin of the majority of her family. In her years as a student in the Royal Academy, her instructors had emphasized the importance of listening and considering all possibilities before proceeding to form her opinions.

Pooja paused, her thoughts reverting back to her family. They had supported her from the beginning, despite their reservations. She could remember when her mother and sister stood at her side as she declared her adoption of the name Lydonia as her name of state. She easily recalled their pride when she had been elected Governor of the Lake Country at the age of twelve and then Princess of Theed two years later. Still, it had not been until Queen Kylantha had asked her to represent Naboo in the Imperial Senate that Pooja became truly acquainted with their real feelings about her career.

In all fairness, her elder sister, Ryoo, had been sincere in her congratulations to her. Though Pooja often saw her only sibling as something of an enigma, the abstract, mysterious philosopher, they had always been supportive of one another when it came to the pursuit of their goals. No, Ryoo's reaction had not been shocking. It had been the other, older members of her family that had disturbed her.

Grandfather Ruwee, who had always had a kind word of encouragement or a gentle smile ready in the past, said nothing at first. His brown eyes had flashed darkly as he finally offered his own best wishes in a flat, dead tone. After that he remained silent, his expression shadowed and stony.

Her mother, Sola, had closed her own eyes and bowed her head for a long moment. In a soft, sad tone, she said that they would all miss her greatly, but if Pooja felt that this was the right path for herself, then nothing any of them had to say would stand in her way for long.

At first, Pooja had thought the obvious grief in her mother's countenance had to do with losing another family member. Pooja's father, Darred, had died only a little over a year before of heart problems. Her mother had been devastated, and thus was probably a little reluctant to let one of her children wander so far from home.

It had been her grandmother's reaction that had frightened Pooja the most, however. For as nearly as long as Pooja could remember, Jobal Naberrie had been very emotionally fragile. When she was told that her youngest granddaughter would be going to Imperial Center to serve Naboo and the Chommell Sector in the Senate, she did not take the news well at all.

Her grandmother had immediately started shaking and soon was screaming wildly that the Senate was going to kill another Naberrie; that Pooja would be dead within a week, a victim of some unknown curse placed upon their family. Grandfather Ruwee and her mother managed to lead the hysterical older woman out of the family sitting room, leaving Pooja to sit there with Ryoo, stunned to the point of speechlessness.

In retrospect, Pooja knew she should have expected some sort of explosive reaction. Choosing a career in politics had always brought about mixed emotions within the family, especially given their history. Pooja had few clear memories of her Aunt Padmé, and given that it was something of a taboo to speak of her, she should have known that the family could not have been exactly happy with her news.

That miserable day had been over eleven years ago. Grandmother Jobal had died four years later, Grandfather Ruwee following her only seven months after. Pooja's mother had been left as matriarch of the Naberrie family and moved into the home she had been raised in. Ryoo and her new husband, Mydrin, lived in their own home close by.

Pooja had made it home for both funerals and after Grandfather Ruwee's, had returned to Theed, unable to bear the stifling, grief-stricken atmosphere of home. The night before she was due to return to Imperial Center, Pooja had quietly put on a dark cloak and slipped past the security checkpoints and into the streets of Theed. She walked the city with no particular destination in mind, but her feet eventually led her to the Street of the Fallen, the place where the greatest Naboo monarchs and public servants were laid to rest.

Passing by many monuments with names like Bibble or Apailana inscribed on them, she came to a halt before the grand monument and sarcophagus that had been designed by the finest Naboo and Gungan artisans of the time. The epitaph was simple enough:

Fate is cruel to quench a flame so young. Let the fires of justice burn eternally in her name.

So few words to give meaning to the life of such a remarkable woman. In the years since her death, Padmé Amidala had been elevated to the hero-status of several ancient monarchs. She was held up as the equal of people like Queen Carii, who had defeated an invasion of off-worlders early in her life and then had gone on to negotiate Naboo's entrance into the then-fledging Galactic Republic.

Pooja had remained at the tomb for several hours, even though she was not entirely certain why she had gone there. Her aunt was dead, along her unborn child. Only her memory and her many deeds could speak now.

A series of beeps drew her out of her thoughts, and Pooja's gaze falling onto the control panel inlaid into her desk. The intercom channel had been activated in her reception area.

Pressing the correct switch, Pooja asked briskly, "Yes?"

"Milady," came the voice of her chief handmaiden, Niaé, "Senator Organa is here, requesting to speak with you immediately."

"Of course," she acknowledged. "Let her in."

Pooja straightened in her chair, unconsciously smoothing her gown with one hand. After only a few seconds, the door slid open, revealing Niaé, with both her form and face hidden by her somber blue cloak. She slipped silently across the room and came to a halt directly behind Pooja. Entering after Niaé was the Senator and Princess of Alderaan, Leia Organa, accompanied only by her bodyguard and personal aide. She no longer wore the green Senatorial gown she had donned during the Committee meeting, but rather, a simple white traveling gown with her thick brown hair wound into two buns on either side of her head. Apparently, it was a popular style among Alderaan's noblewomen.

Inwardly, Pooja couldn't help but shake her head at the hairstyle of her colleague. It looked ridiculous. Naboo women had sported a similar hairstyle nearly twenty years before, but it had been much more smooth and graceful, having often been adjusted to conform to the shape of the wearer's head. No such allowances had been made for the Alderanni version.

Quickly shrugging off her inane thoughts, Pooja eyed the younger woman. She had known Bail Organa ever since she had been named Senator. He had been Chairman of the Emergency Relief Committee and had inducted her into it. Over those ten years of serving together, he had become a trusted friend and mentor, one of the few people within the Senate that she had been able to trust.

When Bail had announced his intention to resign as Senator and appoint Leia to take his place, Pooja had been wary of the idea. Though the girl was the same age Pooja had been when she took the position of Senator, the princess had no true political experience. She had only been instructed by tutors. Pooja, by the age of sixteen, had served two political terms on Naboo, one as Governor of the Lake Country and one as Princess of Theed.

In the year since, however, Leia Organa had taken on the burdens and duties of an Imperial Senator, she had proven herself to have the same shrewd sense and passion of her father, both of which made her an excellent politician.

"Senator Organa," Pooja greeted formally, bowing her head slightly. She gestured with her hand towards the chairs in front of her desk. "Please, take a seat."

Leia bowed respectfully and replied, "Thank you, Senator Lydonia, but I cannot linger long." She paused and glanced about warily, then asked in a low tone, "Is this room secure?"

Immediately on guard, Pooja nodded. "My Head of Security has a team that does constant sweeps of my office. You may speak as freely as you wish."

"Good. I am leaving Imperial Center in less than an hour."

Pooja frowned in concern. The Senate remained in session for six months out of each year and during that time, the Senators very rarely left Imperial Center. Only a grave emergency could or would compel them to depart. She inhaled sharply. Could something have happened to Bail?

Leia continued to speak, unaware of Pooja's growing apprehension. "I've received word from a confidential source on a matter that will be of great concern to the Senate. I am going to retrieve the information and then I will travel to Alderaan to meet with my father. We will then both return here to meet with the Senate."

Pooja considered Leia's words, her initial relief fading quickly. She was nearly certain that the younger woman was involved with the growing Rebel Alliance. Leia's convictions against the growing corruption and injustice within the Empire as well as her ideal longing for the greatness of the Old Republic would demand nothing less from her.

Truly, she was her father's daughter.

Along with the rest of the Imperial government, the Senate officially condemned the "terrorists" that had chosen to rebel against the Emperor's rule. Still, Pooja was no fool. She had been in politics long enough to deduce that a sizable number of the Senators were secretly involved in supporting the Rebels, or at least had Rebel sympathies. Pooja counted herself within the latter group. She understood the Rebels' aims, and even agreed with much of what they were saying. For all that she identified with the ideals of the Rebellion, though, her first concern had to be the welfare of the Naboo. She would do nothing to jepordize that.

Hesitantly, Pooja asked, "Leia, is it wise that you go personally? Whatever this information is, it must be important. No doubt there will be attempts to keep it from the attention of the Senate and the people. It could be dangerous, both for you and for Alderaan."

Leia met her gaze steadily, and with determination. "That is why I must go myself. This is too sensitive to entrust to anyone else." She bowed again and turned to leave, but then stopped. Pooja watched her warily, waiting.

"Pooja," she said quietly, no longer meeting her gaze, "Be careful. Something is going on… something big. And it gives me a bad feeling. Be ready."

Within seconds, she was gone, her aide and bodyguard with her. Pooja kept her eyes on the door, even long after it had slid shut.

Pooja had learned over the past year that Leia Organa's instincts served her well and they were usually correct, to one degree or another. If she felt something was going on, then she would heed her warnings.

"Niaé," she said aloud.

"Yes, milady?"

"Summon Captain Peoly and the others. I have new tasks to assign to each of you," Pooja ordered as she rose up from her chair. "Meet me in my sitting room."

As she moved to leave her office, she could feel Niaé's gaze on her, eyeing her from within the confines of her hood. But she did not question her and replied only, "As you wish, milady."

2. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Woohoo, first post.

This is a very novel and inventive idea you've come up on. It should be interesting to see how this Naberrie manages in the realm of Galactic politics. Thought it was a bittersweet moments to have the two cousins, Leia and Pooja, interact even though they don't know that they are related. Am very curious how this will play out. Great start, can't wait for more!
    :)

3. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Rev: Woohoo, first post.

*giggles*

This is a very novel and inventive idea you've come up on. It should be interesting to see how this Naberrie manages in the realm of Galactic politics.

*grins* Thank you, Rev! When I began writing this story, I kept uppermost in my mind that Pooja was not Padmé and thus might not react to various situations in the same way.

Thought it was a bittersweet moments to have the two cousins, Leia and Pooja, interact even though they don't know that they are related. Am very curious how this will play out. Great start, can't wait for more!

Again, thank you much, Rev! I also thought it was a tad bittersweet during Leia and Pooja's meeting.

Thanks for responding! :)

AQ

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Lovely! I hope there will be more soon, very soon.

5. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    VaderLVR64: Lovely! I hope there will be more soon, very soon.

*smiles* I'm glad you liked it! :) The next post is due to be posted on Monday. Hope to see you then!

AQ

6. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    This is good so far. I've seen very few fan fictions about Padmé's nieces, so I was quite interested when I found this one. I did know Pooja would become a senator (it does seem natural, almost inevitable, that she would), so I could tell there were story possibilities there.

I sense that things are going to become very dramatic for Pooja, and quite soon.

And handmaidens! I hope they have a part in whatever it is.

I'm curious to find out what happens next.

7. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Pandora26: This is good so far. I've seen very few fan fictions about Padmé's nieces, so I was quite interested when I found this one. I did know Pooja would become a senator (it does seem natural, almost inevitable, that she would), so I could tell there were story possibilities there.

Thanks so much, Pandora! I too had heard that Pooja had gone on to become Naboo's Senator during the times of the Rebellion - *loves Wikipedia* - and that got me started thinking on the similarities that could be drawn when it came to her and Pooja, and then to Sola and Padmé. And then I recalled that the Emperor dissolved the Senate in the early parts of of ANH, and this story was born into its infant stages. :)

I sense that things are going to become very dramatic for Pooja, and quite soon.

[face_whistling] ;)

And handmaidens! I hope they have a part in whatever it is.

Well, Niaé and the others will definitely be around for a while, don't worry about that! :D

I'm curious to find out what happens next.

Look forward to seeing you on Monday, then! :D

AQ

8. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    This sounds like alot fun. I've always wondered about the Imperial political system in this timeframe. You are also an excellent writer. I don't know how much of the back-story stuff was original (since you referenced the Wikipedia stuff), but you do an excellent of integrating it into the story.

Pooja had learned over the past year that Leia Organa?s instincts served her well and they were usually correct, to one degree or another. If she felt something was going on, then she would heed her warnings.

Indeed. The infamous Skywalker "bad feeling." Never good.

9. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Darth_Scroobius: This sounds like alot fun. I've always wondered about the Imperial political system in this timeframe. You are also an excellent writer. I don't know how much of the back-story stuff was original (since you referenced the Wikipedia stuff), but you do an excellent of integrating it into the story.

Thanks so much, DS! I had become rather curious about the the political system of the Empire as well, so I did my best to give it some sense of structure. And when I did find this stuff on Wikipedia, I was surprised myself. I googled names like 'Queen Kylantha' and 'Pooja Naberrie' and eventually I found out that in a book called Ruins of Dantooine, there is a brief mention of this particular Queen and of her appointing Pooja to be Naboo's representative. I figured I'd run with it. :D

Pooja had learned over the past year that Leia Organa?s instincts served her well and they were usually correct, to one degree or another. If she felt something was going on, then she would heed her warnings.

Indeed. The infamous Skywalker "bad feeling." Never good.

Got that right! ;) Thanks again! :D

AQ

10. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    *bumps*

11. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    I'm liking this so far. I always enjoy reading stories about the Naberrie family; having Pooja experience the disbanding of the Senate only makes it that much more interesting.

12. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    TrinityDay: I'm liking this so far. I always enjoy reading stories about the Naberrie family; having Pooja experience the disbanding of the Senate only makes it that much more interesting.

*smiles* Thanks, TD! I've always had a liking for the Naberrie family as well and I love reading stories with them in it. I suppose writing a story featuring one of them as a major character is only the next logical step! :D

AQ

13. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    More, more, more :D

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oooo, this is brilliant, AngelQueen! :D

I loved the comparison of the "bun" hairstyles of Naboo and Alderaan! Very amusing!

15. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    AngelQueen, I am definitely enjoying what you have written so far. I think you have a fabulous idea and I can't wait to see where you go with this. I have to admit that I'm have a little bit of trouble taking someone named Pooja seriously, but hopefully that will pass :p

I love that Leia feels free to talk openly with Pooja, I really like that the unknowing cousins at least get along :) and I love the refrences to Leia's hair! very funny! :)

Looking forward to more.

~Obischick~

16. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    JMR: More, more, more :D

*grins* Patience! For the Jedi it time to write as well! ;)

Idrelle_Miocovani: Oooo, this is brilliant, AngelQueen! :D

I loved the comparison of the "bun" hairstyles of Naboo and Alderaan! Very amusing!

Finally, someone made a comment about the hairstyle thoughts! [face_laugh] My muse just slipped that in and stubbornly refused to retract it, even under the pain of Leia's glare. ;)

Obischick: AngelQueen, I am definitely enjoying what you have written so far. I think you have a fabulous idea and I can't wait to see where you go with this. I have to admit that I'm have a little bit of trouble taking someone named Pooja seriously, but hopefully that will pass.

Yes, Pooja is such a pleasant-sounding name, isn't it? :) It doesn't exactly sound like a name for an solemn and esteemed Senator. :D

I love that Leia feels free to talk openly with Pooja, I really like that the unknowing cousins at least get along and I love the refrences to Leia's hair! very funny!

I think Leia's feelings of ease with Pooja comes with the fact that Bail and Pooja had become friends during their years of working together. Pooja is the niece of one of Bail's most trusted friends and Bail trusted her. He then passed it down to Leia, and over the year in which she served as Alderaan's Senator, she and Pooja were able to form somewhat of their own friendship. But then Palpatine had to go and muck everything up. Evil bat. ;)

Looking forward to more.

Well, the next update is scheduled for Monday and everything is, so far, going well! Look forward to seeing you then! [:D]

AQ

17. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    For everyone's remarkable patience in waiting for tomorrow's update, I thought I'd post the trailer for this story here. It was posted on the Trailer Thread over in WR, but in case some of you didn't get a chance to see it, I thought I'd repost it here! Hope you like! :)

AQ

-[B]The Imperial March[/B] plays-

*flash of an exterior shot of the Senate Building on Imperial Center*

CUT TO

[text][I]A government is in chaos...[/I]

CUT TO

*flash of the interior of the Senate chamber, where Senators shout at one another with no regard for decorum*

CUT TO

*flash of inside a smaller chamber, a group of Senators sit together, many arguing heatedly*

CUT TO

[text][I]A rebellion is growing...[/I]

-[B]The Imperial March[/B] ends and is replaced by [B]The Emperor Arrives[/B]-

MAJOR SCRYE PAVISH V.O.: "The attack by the Rebel Alliance was done quickly, destructively, and clearly with help from within this body of government."

*flash of several Senators cheer inside the Senate chambers, while others boo and hiss*

CUT TO

[TEXT][I]Plans are put into action...[/I]

*flash to a black screen*

TARKIN V.O.: "The Emperor has dissolved the Council permanently. The last remnant of the Old Republic has been swept away."

-[B]The Emperor Arrives[/B] is replaced by [B]Duel of the Fates[/B]-

*flash of outside the IMPERIAL PALACE, a group of people run towards two Nubian Starships while under heavy blasterfire. Several people fall.*

POOJA LYDONIA V.O.: "We cannot stay here any longer."

CUT TO

*flash of orbit around Imperial Center, dozens of small, personal ships fly away from the planet, pursued by a Star Destroyer, and many are destroyed*

CUT TO

*flash of the Nubian Starships entering a landing bay and setting down*

CUT TO

[TEXT][I]And new plans are made...[/I]

-[B]Duel of the Fates[/B] is replaced by [B]The Force Theme[/B]-

*flash of a negotiation room, where MOFF PANAKA, QUEEN KYLANTHA, and Pooja Lydonia all sit around a large table*

MOFF PANAKA V.O.: "You would have us commit treason?"

*flash to a black Screen*

POOJA LYDONIA V.O.: "What choice do we have?"

[TEXT][I]Rebel Choice[/I]

[TEXT]By AngelQueen

[TEXT]Now Playing!

18. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Nice trailer...Really excited about the next post ;)

19. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    JMR: Nice trailer...Really excited about the next post ;)

Thanks, Rev! The next post? Ah, well, enjoy! :D

[B]Chapter One, Part I[/B]

[I]"Imperial Center has always been a ferment of political intrigue, of secret plots. Being the seat of two major governments had its consequences. No matter how many good-intentioned people promised to put an end to the cloak and dagger way of politics, the shadows remained."[/I]

[I]--The Imperial Chronicles, [/I]Chapter Two

[I]"Bail Organa once described the state of Imperial Center to me. He said, 'Everyone knows everything about everyone else while being arrogant enough to assume everything about them is completely confidential.'"[/I]

--Pooja Lydonia, Senator of Naboo

[I]They were as efficient as they ever were, Pooja reflected as she watched her three handmaidens and Head of Security enter and arrange themselves within her sitting room. It had not taken them long to assemble and come before her.[/I]

[I]Captain Welck Peoly did not take a seat on the available sofa. Instead, he chose to stand at attention behind it, his back to a wall which gave him a full view of the room. His lips were set in a thin, grim line against his dark skin. His sharp, dark brown eyes swept over the area, missing nothing.[/I]

[I]Niaé sat in the center of the sofa, her hands folded and resting demurely in her lap. She appeared completely unruffled, but her blue eyes were intent and alert.[/I]

[I]To her immediate right, Meliaé sat waiting, her body tense and ready to spring into action. Growing up in Keren had contributed to the woman's continuous edgy state, something she'd never lost ini the years she had been away from the city. With the rise of the Empire, Keren had slowly been converted into the base for stormtroopers. The people who had stubbornly refused to leave had quickly learned to abide by a single principle: be ready for trouble before it finds you. The skills Meliaé had developed there made her a highly effective bodyguard.[/I]

[I]Finally, on Niaé's left, Amarié sat quietly, the most inscrutable of them all. The girl had been born and raised in the Lake Country, where time and life itself seemed to come to an idyllic standstill. That air still radiated off both her and Pooja, which helped Amarié greatly when she stood in as Pooja's double.[/I]

[I]Pooja did not mince words with them. "I've received a warning from a credible source that something could be going on within the workings of the government. I want to know what." Standing from her own chair, she handed each of them a data pad.[/I]

[I]"Niaé, see what you can find out through the various Senators' aides and assistants. They can be very… liberal with information once they are in the correct setting," Pooja said, giving the other woman a pointed look. [/I]

[I]She then turned to Amarié. "See if you can find anything in the personal files of the Senators," Pooja instructed. "The computer security system is sophisticated, but the new programs you have developed should be quite enough to get you in."[/I]

[I]She then turned to the last two people present in the room. "Meliaé, Captain, I need the two of you to work together and create a plan that will allow our people to leave the planet in a hurry. Keep the ship well-stocked and on stand-by status at all times."[/I]

[I]Captain Peoly nodded, his dark eyes flying over the data pad's information. "Of course, milady." He then looked up at her. "But if I may ask, what warning did this 'credible source' give?"[/I]

[I]For a moment, Pooja stayed silent, considering how to phrase her words. Finally, she said only, "My source said only that something was going to happen. She was unable to say anything specific, but I trust her words and feelings."[/I]

[I]Her Head of Security pursed his lips unhappily, obviously unsatisfied with the lack of specifics. He only nodded and murmured, "Very well, milady."[/I]

[I]"I'll make sure Jack Forsye packs his model collection," Meliaé muttered sardonically.[/I]

-----

The inhabitants of Conference Room Three Hundred Sixty-Four were known throughout the Senate Building for being overly loud in their meetings and discussions. It was a well-established tradition that, when the Emergency Relief Committee met in conference, everyone removed themselves from the immediate area, unless they wished their ears or other auditory bodypart to burn from the language that spewed forth from the room.

As Pooja fought the urge to just slump over in her chair in weariness, she silently envied those who could flee the area. They did not have to listen to her associates rant in frustration at one another.

"My esteemed colleagues," Ait Sorrenn said loudly, trying to override the bickering Senators around him, "This argument solves nothing. Until we can obtain more funds from the Senate, we will simply have to -"

"Have to what?" Jasmille Candroon snapped, cutting him off. "Simply decide between drought and famine or planetary armageddon? How can such a decision be made?"

Pooja had asked herself the same question many times. She had yet to find a satisfactory answer.

Antur Shysha, the newest Senator to join the Emergency Relief Committee, spoke up next. "Perhaps we could explore other methods of obtaining funds? Private fundraisers, for example -"

"We've tried that in the past," Corr Lassiter, the Chairman of the Committee said, wearily glancing around the table at them. The balding man with startling blue eyes and a thickening waist leaned back in his chair. "All funds brought in by the various committees and sub-committees are subject to the Senate's confiscation and methods of redistribution."

Pooja winced at the bitterness in the man's tone, which he made no effort to hide. She recalled very clearly the incident Corr was alluding to, when one of the Emperor's political representatives, Major Scrye Pavish, had smugly informed the Committee that the credits they had managed to collect from various wealthy philanthropists was being confiscated in the name of the Emperor and the Senate. Both she and Bail had been forced to keep restraining hands on Corr's shoulders, preventing him from doing physical harm to the arrogant man. That had been several years ago, of course, but he had never forgotten it nor had he forgiven his grudge against the Major.

She straightened at that point, hoping to bring her coworkers' tempers to cool, when the door slid open, revealing Corr's top aide, Fin Staver. The man looked harried and upset.
    "Senators," he said breathlessly, bowing to them hurriedly, "Major -"

The man was cut off by someone else entering the room behind him, interrupting loudly, "Yes, yes, I am here. Enough." Waving a negligent hand in Fin's direction, the sandy blonde haired man with brown eyes bowed in what could, in theory, be called a gallant manner.
    Major Scrye Pavish had arrived.

[I]Think of a demon and he shall saunter forth[/I], Pooja thought sourly, clenching her hands and placing them in her lap.

"Senators," Pavish said pleasantly, "It's agreeable to see you all again."

Corr's jaw tightened and his blue eyes flashed, which vividly stood out from his round, middle-aged face. "Yes," he finally ground out. "I'm sure it is. What can the Emergency Relief Committee do for you, Major Pavish?"

The younger man straightened, coming to attention. "In two days time, His Majesty, Emperor Palpatine, will call the Senate back into full session. Your presence, of course, is required."

Pavish then executed a sharp military salute and proudly marched out, but not before he flashed a bright, flirtatious smile in Pooja's direction. The remaining occupants of the room were left to sit in their seats, stunned and, in Pooja's case, disgusted.

Jasmille was the first to break the cloud of silence. "What in the name of the Seventh Helix is going on," she demanded hotly. "The Senate convened only yesterday and is not due to come together again until the first day of next week!"

Pooja sighed. "Undoubtedly, it is something our Emperor considers to be of great importance," she said wryly. She then rose smoothly to her feet, her violet brocade dress shifting as she did so.

"My fellow Senators, I fear there is nothing further to be done today," she said. "If there are no objections, I shall take my leave of you." Barely pausing to wait for an affirming nod from Corr, Pooja walked quietly out of the chamber, Meliaé falling in step behind her.

Pooja barely heard her handmaiden speaking quietly into her com-link to Captain Peoly as they walked at a rapid pace down the hallway. Her mind was already on the Senate, what had happened in the last session, and what could possibly occur two days from now.

Pooja needed to speak with Niaé and Amarié.

20. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    I'm really enjoying the quotations, the excepts at the top of the part. They really add something to the story.

Of course, I'm really enjoying the story itself, too.

21. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Ah, the plot thickens. I wonder what the Major is up to ? :D. I agree with TrinityDay, the quotes at the beginning of each chapter really add to the story. Great post. Can't wait for more! ;)

22. lindemacil

lindemacil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    I am really enjoying this story. :) I was also recently reading the information on Padme's nieces in Wikipedia, and I'm glad you decided to incorporate it into a story. It's interesting to see what's happening on Padme's side of the family and on Naboo, since we get to see practically nothing of it in the OT. I can't wait to read more!

23. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    TrinityDay: I'm really enjoying the quotations, the excepts at the top of the part. They really add something to the story.

Of course, I'm really enjoying the story itself, too.

*grins* Thanks, TD! The quotations are quite a bit of fun to write and I always enjoy beginning a new chapter! :)

JMR: Ah, the plot thickens. I wonder what the Major is up to ? . I agree with TrinityDay, the quotes at the beginning of each chapter really add to the story. Great post. Can't wait for more!

[face_blush] Thanks, Rev! As for the Major... well, all things will become clear in time... :) And I'm glad you liked the quotes at the beginning of the chapters as well! :D

lindemacil: I am really enjoying this story. I was also recently reading the information on Padme's nieces in Wikipedia, and I'm glad you decided to incorporate it into a story. It's interesting to see what's happening on Padme's side of the family and on Naboo, since we get to see practically nothing of it in the OT. I can't wait to read more!

Thank you! The final fate of the Naberrie family has always been something that has interested me, so when I read that little bit about Pooja being in the the Imperial Senate around the same time as Leia, I knew I just had to write something for that. They know each other, but not as cousins. Much fun! And we shall get to Naboo in time, and see one or two other familiar characters. :)

Thanks again everyone! [:D]

AQ

24. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Think of a demon and he shall saunter forth - Ha-ha. Star Wars version of "speak of the devil" eh?

I really enjoy Pooja's wry comments on her fellow senators and the political process. I think we all know what's going to happen when the full Senate meets. I can't wait to see how you present it.

25. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Hmmmm... very interesting. I like seeing how everything comes together. I love how you are bringing the PT into the OT. It makes everything feel familiar and unique at once. I really enjoyed how you described how different the handmaidens where, and I loved the line describing how Niaé's eyes were unassuming and questioning all at once. Very nice. :)

Can't wait to see why they're convening early, even though I have a good idea why :p

Can't wait to see what happens next! :D

~Obischick~ [face_peace]