main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic #68: Armor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediTrilobite, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Another strong issue from the usual gang that bring us Republic every month. I liked the idea of telling the story from the point of view of a clone trooper, it gives some insight into what these guys actually think of their masters. The confrontation between Aayla and Quin was interesting but not really surprising. We knew they would have to fight each other, and that it would likely result is some sort of stand off. Also, the story of whether Quin has gone to the dark side completely or not really didn't become any clearer with this issue; perhaps it was made even more clouded with the confrontation. That said, the meeting between the two had to take place, and was a fairly interesting way of telling it. The illustration team was strong as always. I liked the way the characters' faces reflected well their emotions - or in the case of Bly his lack of emotions - in each scene. One sequence I had trouble following though was the page where the poison darts fly out at Quin and Aayla. Why was Aayla screaming for Bly and why was Bly screaming back? This whole page seemed confusing to me, but perhaps I just had a brain cramp or something.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that I'd like to see the two of them really go at it.

3. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    One sequence I had trouble following though was the page where the poison darts fly out at Quin and Aayla. Why was Aayla screaming for Bly and why was Bly screaming back? This whole page seemed confusing to me, but perhaps I just had a brain cramp or something.

I too was confused by this... and also why was Bly aiming his gun at them? was he concerned about potential treachery from quin at this point? or his only inclination on how to help is to be ready to shoot a threat?

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Caught up in the action maybe?

5. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    This scene wasn't *after* they retrieve the "package," and Quin is delivering his ultimatum, right? While still within the temple, in other words?

Don't have the issue right in front of me, but given Bly's propensity towards antagonism against Quinlan from the moment they meet ("Permission to shoot the traitor, General?"), he'd undoubtedly be inclined to subconsciously foist his blaster rifle in his general direction more often than not.

Have to examine the panel in question to give a fully-informed opinion on this, but it tracks close enough to the situational circumstances.

6. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Ya, this was the scene right after Aayla retrieves the package, and Quin tells her he can't close the door. Leto II, your assessment of the situation is probably correct. It had already been established that Bly had a strong desire to "off" Quin, and it was only Aayla's command that prevented him. I think my confusion stemmed from the fact that I was concerned about what was to become of the package after the previous page, and I based the characters' reaction on that. As Bly himself stated later on, a soldier's first priority is always to the mission, which in this case was to retrieve the package; so I assumed that would be his primary concern. But I suppose there's no reason why he couldn't complete his mission and kill Quin given an opportunity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.