main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic #68: Armor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediTrilobite, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    From the OS:

http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2004/07/news20040702.html

Star Wars: Republic #70 continues "The Dreadnaughts of Rendili" storyline. It is by John Ostrander, Jan Duursema and Dan Parsons, with cover art by Duursema and Brad Anderson. It features a guest appearance by a character well known to fans of the original Star Wars trilogy, and is slated for release on October 27.

I assumed that Dodanna will be the "character well known to fans of the original Star Wars trilogy".

2. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    That issue looks most impressive. I like Jan's rendition of the Noghri, though they seem to change appearance in every comic they're in. Just check the HTTE comic and compare it to this.

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Yup, 'tis apparently indeed he. I believe Dodonna's making his first bow in #69.

John's been quite the busy lad lately, no? He at least seems to research his Star Wars history a far sight better than the so-called "continuity editors" they've got installed at LFL itself...

4. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Just wondering one thing: If that TradeFed Coreship crashed from orbit, shouldn't there be a humongous crater in the surrounding area, considering the fact that it's 900 meters tall and made of ultra-dense armour? I mean the jungle should be entirly vaped and replaced with a crater the size of the one on the Yucatan Penninsula!

5. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Sure, but then you don't have to worry as much about secondary sources of damage: dust clouds of ejecta (only what, 4^3 cubic miles of ex-coreship debris? [face_laugh]), fire damage and associated smoke, and so on.

Think back to Krakatoa -- particles from that eruption stayed in the air forat least two years...the Fancy Sunset effect was pronounced for a year-and-a-half afterwards. And Krakatoa was a tiny fraction of the kind of mass we're talking about, and mostly silicates, calcium, that sort of thing; NOT the metal vapor and metal oxides you'd be dealing with from a big nickel-iron asteroid or Trade Fed mothership core.

(Next Great Cover Blurb: "Jedi...With an Asteroid!")

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably the core ship wasn't completely disbaled and was able to slow it's descent some- enough for there to be survivors.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Geez, this could end up being the definitive EU issue of the whole Clone Wars. It's like finally giving us Honoghr wasn't enough, so they started scouring the video games for other stuff they could include.

Here's hoping they fix "scientific instrumention pacakge" before this ships. Two typos in a row... yeeugh.

8. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    I like Jan's rendition of the Noghri, though they seem to change appearance in every comic they're in. Just check the HTTE comic and compare it to this

I noticed that too...

HTTE-
    [image=http://www.ofadam.com/ffa/jcpics/httenoghri.jpg]

DFR-
    [image=http://www.ofadam.com/ffa/jcpics/dfrnoghri.jpg]

TLC-
    [image=http://www.ofadam.com/ffa/jcpics/tlcnoghri.jpg]

Armor-
    [image=http://www.ofadam.com/ffa/jcpics/armornoghri.jpg]

Dark Force Rising looks the closest to Jan's rendition...

9. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Holy crap, Noghri are in this issue?!?!

10. Nrin

Nrin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    Armour and DFR ones look alike, but like any species there are variations. I like the way Jan has done them.

I'm also ecstatic that the team have gone to the effort of research, and including things in there for the fans, there's not nearly enough of this in the books and comics, good effort !

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Whoa, love that preview! Nice job Jan!

12. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    Wow! Glad you all like the preview; i think you'll like the overall issue as well. One point I should make:

"John's been quite the busy lad lately, no? He at least seems to research his Star Wars history a far sight better than the so-called "continuity editors" they've got installed at LFL itself..."

I should tell you i get a lot of help. Jan is up in areas that I'm not such as the games and feeds me stuff. Also, the folks at LFL also help a LOT. When I send in a plot overview (the first step in approvals before i actually write the script), I'll ask for their advice on certain planets or other areas. For example, i already knew about Honoghr getting poisoned during the Clone Wars (read the book a while ago) and Jan made the suggestion. LFL made the suggestion as to what the "goo" actually was and the temple's creators.

We DO try to sweat the small stuff and give the fans that "extra layer" that doesn't necessarily matter in the plot but is like an "easter egg" for their pleasure. It's not always central to the plot because we also want to keep the story accessible enough to more casual readers as well> For example, if they don't get the references, it won't matter for their enjoyment of the story. It simply adds a little more to the knowledgable fan. It's what i call "narrative layering". And while I'm always glad to take a bow, I really believe in giving credit where it's due and i get plenty of help. INCLUDING from the LFL continuity editors.<g>

All the best

-- John

13. ausar_vos

ausar_vos Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    "It's not always central to the plot because we also want to keep the story accessible enough to more casual readers as well> For example, if they don't get the references, it won't matter for their enjoyment of the story. It simply adds a little more to the knowledgable fan. It's what i call "narrative layering"."

I'm one of those fans who benefits from this approach, since I have no idea who Honorgh is, never read DFR, nor the other comic books mentioned in this thread.

What is HTTE and TLC? I've never heard of these comic books?

Man...just when you think you've got a grip on Star Wars Universe the whole keeps on getting deeper!

And I love it:D

14. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    What is HTTE and TLC? I've never heard of these comic books?

They are the books in the Thrawn Trilogy- Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command.

15. ausar_vos

ausar_vos Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    OK, I get it, so basically those are comic adaptations of the novels right?
    But I still don'T know whiat HTTE stands for though?

16. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Heir
    To
    The
    Empire.

17. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    That brings back a great memory from 1999:

"What's PoT? I don't think we have that in the UK." - Poodu.

Man, that was one of the funniest damn threads I ever saw.

18. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    Thats funny, cos I wish we *didnt* have PoT in the UK ;)

19. GodofDeath

GodofDeath Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    "Armor" seems like it will be an amazing comic! I can't wait to read it and see the confrontation between Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos, especially with Jan's amazing artwork! :D

Love the "Knights Of The Old Republic" reference btw. ;)

20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Is this virus that destroys the planet the same one as in the "Victories and Sacrifices" TPB?

21. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Do we have the release date yet? I'm at home in small-town WV, cut off from the comic shops of Boston, and am preparing a TFAW order to catch up on my Clone Wars material. How long would I have to wait to add on "Armor"?

-Paul

22. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Well, #67 is "scheduled" to come out next week but I haven't seen it on any shipping lists yet. I would assume this issue would be out about a month after #67, so if it does come out next week I'd say expect "Armor" at the beginning of September.

23. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    >>Is this virus that destroys the planet the same one as in the "Victories and Sacrifices" TPB?<<

No, Trihexalon is from Jedi Starfighter and is a seperate biological/chemical weapon than that which was tested on the moon of Naboo (and destroyed in Blast Radius).

24. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    so if it does come out next week I'd say expect "Armor" at the beginning of September.

Nope, it's still scheduled for an end of August release. #67 was delayed.

25. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Guess I stand corrected then, John...if Jan and the Lucasfilm high-ups are keeping everyone, including yourself, as hipped to the continuity as the issue preview seems to indicate, I won't bitch. Suppose it's more the scar tissue left behind from those recent foofs that slipped through the LFL gauntlet in The Cestus Deception and Battle Surgeons that steamed most folks' beans.

(But I digress. [face_thinking] [face_whistling])

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.