main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm sorry, but any chance of Reylo died right where I predicted it would...in Snoke's Throne room. Their bond was not a result of love...but literally the manipulation of Snoke, Rey attempting to follow her force vision and aid Kylo in killing Snoke backfired so badly that even Leia finally admitted to herself that her son is gone. All the interactions between Rey and Kylo followed the same pattern as his interaction with Han Solo right before he was murdered. All the talk of Rey intimately knowing Kylo through that bond were proven untrue when she failed to realize what he would do once his master was gone. The Last Jedi is basically our new heroes FAILING spectacularly. Oh sure they all have moments of success and all are ultimately better for it (Except Kylo...but he's the villain of this story) but Rose, Poe and Finn managed to get a good portion of the Resistance killed with their BS plan while Rey hurled herself into the arms of the enemy and really only succeeded in giving an unstable self admitted monster control of the First order.

Honestly, I think Rey's vision and Luke's reluctance to teach her, played more of a role in her working with Kylo than any feelings of affection. She took the quick and easy path....and it blew up in her face.

I liked this movie....a LOT. It dangled the expected redemption in our face...then had Kylo double down on the evil, and even built him into a credible threat after his previous defeat. We also now know that some of Luke's students followed him into darkness....meaning Rey, Finn, Poe and Rose are going to have a LOT of bad guys to deal with when the time comes. I don't fully know how this series will end...but that final look Rey gave Ren right before she shut the door....spoke VOLUMES.

2. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    It's dead. Sorry.

A key facet of Rey's development is why she resists Kylo. At the beginning of the movie it's because he killed Han. At the end, it's because she will not help him rule over others.

3. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I honestly don't understand how anyone can watch TLJ and still think Reylo is a possibility.

It was utterly dead when Rey reached out her hand for her lightsaber. I don't think that there was ever any romantic motivation for either one of them, to be honest. Part of why 'Reylo' was ever a thing in the first place was an automatic narrative expectation that there must be some kind of romantic tension or attraction between male and female leads. Rey never evinced any romantic leanings towards Kylo - her focus was on her identity and figuring out her role. Kylo was concerned with manipulation and control.

And that last shot when Rey closes the Falcon door has no romantic overtones AT ALL. The look on Rey's face is one of firm resolve. Kylo has fully surrendered to the dark side and madness. The only way that Kylo is redeemed in IX is through a sacrificial death. At this point, a romance between these 2 characters would be totally out of place in the Star Wars saga and would do damage to the narrative structure, negating what has come before.

4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    This movie made Rey appear like an idiot and role was reduced to wanting to save "Ben". What else was her point in the movie other than crying over the bad boy who kept being an ass to her?
    [​IMG]

5. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017
    You should have seen the posts about 'Reylo' after TFA it was disgusting, more so now.

ReyPrescott likes this.
  6. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012

I completely disagree. Her 'angst' was not focused on Kylo Ren, but on her wanting to find her parents. When she talks to Luke before leaving Ahch-To, she says that her goal is to turn Kylo in order to defeat the First Order, not so she can find love or prove there's good in him. And if she's an "idiot" for wanting to save Ben, how should we think about Luke in ROTJ when he talks about saving Vader?

Varouneire likes this.
  7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Yes, Luke was pretty stupid, but it was understandable enough considering Vader was his father who he looked up to. Kylo was nobody to Rey but a murderous monster.

KSennia, godisawesome and Ren Kylo like this.
  8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Rey was played by Snoke...like a fiddle. She was allowed to see just enough of Kylo's conflict to make her think it'd be possible to turn him....and Luke was just grouchy enough to make her think that was the only viable option. She DID offer him the saber again. Now...once she realized her error she tried to set things right....and failed....just like Luke did in Empire.

Honestly in this movie, Finn and Rose come out looking the best of our new heroes. Their plan was a long shot, but if they'd managed to get the right guy it MIGHT'VE worked. Sadly they were literally left with no other options than DJ. Meanwhile Rey decides she's seen enough of Ren's inner conflict that she can turn him....and THAT blows up in her face. Poe....completely forget's about OPSEC and details the Resistance plans to Finn over a Comm...which was completely unnecessary...and got people killed. I know all our heroes got their heads out of their rectums by films end....but that was a harsh and costly lesson.

As for Reylo itself....it was on life support after the battle in the Throne room...and dead when Rey closed the Door of the Falcon. I'm sure some people will try to find a way to say 'No, but she's going to redeem him in the next film...trust me!' but after two movies of Kylo Ren rejecting chances at redemption and descending further into near raving madness...I personally feel that option is done. Kylo Ren might live....but I don't seem him turning away from Darkness like his grandfather.

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Adept

A RT score of 58% via audience reviews and falling along with horrible social media word of mouth says they will do what it takes to put Episode IX in good graces again with the fans including redeeming a Skywalker family member at the end.

2Cleva likes this.
  10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I thought this was an interesting development but it immediately went into reverse .

godisawesome likes this.
  12. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm going to be honest, I don't think bad word of mouth on social media is going to hurt this one, neither do I think the RT score is going to stop many people from seeing this. The film is divisive, it takes risks where TFA played it safe, and I think those gut punches are going to turn some people off and it will be reflected as such in initial reviews. However, I think the GA's going to like this one and it'll eventually show. I'm sure JJ will take into account any criticism when designing the next film....but I don't think they are going to make too many monumental changes based on that.

WebLurker and jaqen like this.
  13. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015

Maybe people will check IMDB instead where it gets 8.1 vs 8.0 for TFA.

I almost suspect foul play on RT at the moment. TLJ 56% and 88% for TFA doesn´t make sense compared to IMDB.

My hunch is that TLJ will eventually get an audience score of at least 85% on RT.

jaqen likes this.
  14. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014

I thought... Hoped... that people were beyond couple names...

WebLurker likes this.
  15. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    Reylo was raised as a possibility, but ultimately Rey chose to be a Jedi over joining Kylo. Kylo was definitely down and Rey seemed like she was into a redeemed Ben, but when Kylo remained evil, that was the end of Reylo. So in episode 9, if Kylo remains evil, no chance for Reylo exists. And I think this is the direction JJ will go. Kylo will end up the monster he's always wanted to be.

16. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    They share a bond, a connection, but it's not romantic.

I'm glad they went the route that they did with this, because him turning good in VIII and them ending up together seemed a bit predictable.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    Reylo is a thing?

no.

18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    RJ is a troll...he dangled that possibility in front of the Reylo fans during that final mental conversation between Rey and Kylo...then BRUTALLY deconstructed the entire concept and even redemption...before having Luke and Leia confirm Ben is gone, and having Rey shut the door in his face when Kylo attempts to reach out to her again.

Honestly...Kylo became a raving lunatic by the films end...one Luke completely humiliated during that final duel in a burn that will leave scars no droid can heal.

19. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    And yet Rose declared the endgame 'in order to win, we save what we love'.

It really doesn't make sense for her to kill him to end 9. What does that accomplish? We know Leia played a major part in 9 before Fisher became one with The Force. It really does make sense that the punchline of 9 is Rey (previously with the help of Leia) figuring out some way to bring Ben back, and then they go off and make babies. Make Love Not War!

Welcome to the SEQUEL TRILOGY, where the stupidest answer is probably the right one. Reylo IS a thing. [face_hypnotized]

20. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000

That is my fear.

Episode IX: Kylo Keeps after Rey for the Whole Movie, and He Finally Gets His Girl

Episode X: Kylo and Rey, True Love amongst the Stars

Episode XI: Everyone Stares at and Talks about Pregnant Rey

Episode XII: The Young Child of Reylo Is the Most Important Person in the Universe, Ever

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Suffice it to say, if that is what Disney has planned for us, I'll be limiting myself to the Anthology films.

21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the whole connection was a result of the the mind meld in tfa and the rest was snoke's doing. rey is a good person who believed she could save kylo. she can't and she knows that now.

Jedi Knight Fett and WebLurker like this.
  22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    She may not kill him, but that dosen't mean she's going to fall in love with him or save him. She tried saving him...just like Luke did with his father...and that solution backfired so badly it wasn't even funny. I know people like to believe Rose's line is somehow prophetic when it comes to Reylo...but between Kylo Ren ranting and raving like a Mad Man at Luke and Rey shutting the door in his face almost literally...I think we can say that path is closed. In the end, if Rose's line is hinting at the future (Big 'IF' since JJ is under no obligation to follow up on that) the final movie will likely be more about Rey protecting the family she's built (Finn, BB-8, Poe, Chewie, Rose etc) than saving the villain that's trying to kill them and all that they love. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Rey, Finn and Poe LEADING a new Alliance (Forged from the oppressed and downtrodden) against the First Order and Kylo Ren and his Knights of Ren in the finale...only to beat them, cut them off from the force and imprison them for all the crimes they've committed.

No more "Children of Destiny" ruling by divine right. No more power being passed via bloodline. It's a new galaxy with new rules...and new problems...but moving forward and learning from failure.

WebLurker and ladygrey45 like this.
  23. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    Rey wasn't concerned with redeeming Ben for his own sake, or for Leia's or anyone else's. She thought she could turn him so that he would fight on the side of the Resistance. That was her goal. She'd tried and failed to persuade Luke to help, or even to train her properly so she could use her power to help the Resistance. Both Luke and Kylo said "You need a teacher", but only one was willing to be that teacher. She didn't go the Supremacy out of any simpering romantic pull. She went as a tactic to win a war.

She underestimated how bitter he felt towards his whole family, not just Luke. Helping the Resistance was the last thing he was going to do. She was guilty of hubris and naivety, from which she's learned. That's why she closed the door on him at the end. (Note that at the end of both movies she's gone into the Falcon, looking back at him on the floor, before leaving him. Fairy tales traditionally work in repeats of three, with the pattern changing in the third. I expect her to let him in next time.)

RJ posed a deep philosophical question about the Force, and had Rey and Ben embody that question as they tremble on the cusp of uncertainty, still working to the traditional views of the Force, but just beginning to be aware that something needs to change. JJ is a director who focuses on characters and has them embody the argument. The relationship between Rey and Ben is most definitely going to reach its consummation, as it were, in IX.

24. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't see how they get away from her saving him. It didn't work in 8, so she'll learn from her failure and succeed in 9. There is quite literally nowhere else for the story to go.

Remember, this IS the Skywalker Saga, so technically.. with only him left, she has to save him for that to go on. Is she going to kill him? What does that accomplish and how is it a satisfying end? Is she going to go Obi-wan on him, get the high ground, and then chop his legs off and leave him to burn alive? Also doubtful!

So she's likely going to start her Gray Order or whatever where everyone gets a trophy and can be one with the Force without judgment. He goes off and builds the Sledgehammer(a plot point from the TFA scripts that was a device that could ram into things at lightspeed, which is the likely followup to Admiral Purple Hair's Suicide) and they have the big showdown where she inevitably convinces him to turn(also known as the female fantasy of wanting to 'change' a guy... witness.. Pretty Woman... 50 Shades of Rey... that type of thing).

And then she goes off with him and makes the next generation of Skywalker. Tune in to ST2 to find out how that turns out.

ReyKenobi likes this.
  25. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015

right. after kylo revealed himself and she began to cry "don't do this ben" i checked out completely. just, why??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.