main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    From the side she looks a lot more like a Palpatine once you look for it.

2. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    No way.

3. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I don't know, to me she has a similar profile. Her poses and how she is dressed and how she is shot and the overall story make her a Luke figure, but once you see it that Palpatine thing sticks. It does for me anyway.

4. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I've always thought she looked the most similar to Padme, even more than Leia does.

godisawesome and Lord Exor like this.
  5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Padme and Palpatine are both from Naboo.

Ben-Solo and chrisfree like this.
  6. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    Daisy Ridley's, I guess, basic similarities to Fisher, Portman, or even someone like Keria Knightley was one of the reasons a lot of people thought Rey was a Skywalker. So many conversations and theories centered around the presumption that Daisy Ridley was cast like Natalie Portman was chosen by Lucas to be Leia's mother. Then Rogue One and Solo came out, and some started questioning whether or Kennedy and co. were being lazy (hence the generic brunette memes that cropped up).

7. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    yeah that just proves that fans should never draw on any conclusion from a passing physical resemblance between actors. If physical likeness played any part in whether characters were related or not than these 2 would not be a biological mother and son:

[​IMG]

while this girl could be a biological daughter:

[​IMG]

and Beru would be Luke's biological mother:

[​IMG]

cause same shape of eyes in different people, folks (on top of color and blond hair) and am I detecting a slightly cleft chin on the aunt which is pronounced on her not-biological-nephew?

[​IMG]

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I am surprised no one ever connected the dots with her having a british accent. Its rare in tv and film that you have a british sounding daughter of 2 american parents. I am surprised this was never thought about as questionable.

9. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I think obi-arin-kenobi intention was to point how much looks like a Skywalker, not a "Palpatine".
    Personally when i first saw Daisy she did strike to me more like someone who remembers Padmé/Portman and more in line with the actresses that played Amidala lookalike servants as Knightley and Rose Byrne.
    So, it's to believe the original idea was to her be a Skywalker.
    BTW,
    why Anakin's saber would choose a non Skywalker anyway ?

Triad Moons likes this.
  10. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    A lot of people got hung up on British accept but they used it to support Rey Kenobi theory. The biggest argument for Rey Palpatine post-TFA was this:

[​IMG]

they noticed that only she and Sheev had jabbing movement with the saber while snarling and latched on it. They were right. The theory wasn't as big as ReySky and Rey Random (followed by Rey Solo and Rey Kenobi) but it had its fans since 2015.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Ben-Solo and chrisfree like this.
  11. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    Fighting styles aren't genetic.

12. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    So they picked up on the right thing. She was given that style because of an intention, not arbitrarily.

13. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    She was raised by Unkar Plutt, and he has a British accent. She could've picked it up from him.

14. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I believe JJ/Terrio essentially admitted she wasn’t made a Palpatine until RoS.

15. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    And Art book quote from 2014 showed that she was never related to Skywalkers so whether they were toying with Palaptine then remains to be seen.

16. Lord Exor

Sep 1, 2019
    Merely because something makes sense in hindsight does not mean the final result was purpose-built from the beginning. There isn't any evidence to suggest that Palpatine was meant to play a role in things until TROS, and that includes Rey's relationship to him. They should have planned his return during TFA's pre-production, but they didn't.

17. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    There isn't any evidence but there were rumors during TFA production that Rey was a Palaptine. MSW reported about it.

Also, Simon Pegg said that JJ wanted a specific background for her that TLJ made a bit complicated but not impossible to write around if JJ wanted to go back to it. We know from Art book that Rey wasn't going to be a Skywalker/Solo so that leaves Palaptine (or Kenobi or Jinn) if he meant descended from a known character. But likely Palaptine because she was intended to be the new Luke of ST and that would (in theory) include confronting her dark origin.

However, I think that it's possible that JJ wanted all that without Palpy return with Snoke possibly wanting to use Skywalker boy and Palpatine girl. But that's just my speculation because Snoke was decrepit as well and I could see him want to use their Force to rejuvenate himself (which palpy ended up doing).

Ben-Solo likes this.
  18. Lord Exor

Sep 1, 2019
    Jason Ward also reported on Rey being a Solo, so I wouldn't place too much stock in that.

godisawesome likes this.
  19. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Casting clearly shown the striking resemblance between Luke and Rey. Most of the evidence reveal that Rey is Luke's daughter and Luke wife is Snoke sister most likely. This cause hostility where because snoke choose the dark side and luke the light, they do not like each other. Because snoke know of Ben solo he try to make him bad before Rey gets older, knowing that palpatine is on exegol and Luke on the jedi island. When Rey become old enough for her journey she will fight with kylo Ren, who snoke made bad, and be brought before palpatine. Palpatine see this as the opportunity for kylo Ren and rey to make love because of their connection where shortly thereafter Rey gives birth to a spirit dark side baby where palpatine then transports it, emerging out of the dark side hole on Luke's island and the baby then kills Luke. So it mirrors the ot because in that one luke save his father and in this trilogy Rey will save her offspring.

20. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Not as of June 26 or 27 2015. He reported that she wasn't related to Skywalkers and Solos which surprised him.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    She's actually a Friendpatine

LedReader and godisawesome like this.
  22. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    In fairness after TFA, it was left so ambiguous that theories suggested every little connection to any force user in the galaxy, from the Skywalker family, Kenobi, Palpatine etc. This place saw so many thread locks in “parentage threads” nobody knew for sure, nobody.

Everything about Daisy, her portrayal of Rey and mannerisms have always been discussed, over-analyzed and theory crafted that’s why this fan base has become so divided. Theories, own visionary direction ideas, and hopes/wants.

Correct about the Art Book. JJ started the ST and ended it how he felt was best, got approval from Lucasfilm and Disney. He did the best with the material as it was presented from the other two films. All things considered I thought be did well.

The way the two films prior set up ROS I saw it as she was going to be an orphan (which she was, actually) or related to Emperor Palpatine. Especially after the first teaser trailer revealed his presence in the film. What better emotional challenge than finding out your parents hid you to protect you, and your grandfather is manipulating everything and trying it with you. After he had your parents, his family killed in the process.

I have no issues with Rey Palpatine, it gives them a lot of material to build on for future projects, Moreno in fact than if she was a Skywalker by birth.

23. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Beru is wearing Luke's exact hairstyle from Return of the Jedi even.

24. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Going off of the posture I would have to say she's Dax's daughter Obi wan prolly introduce Owen to her at some point before the clone war.

25. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015