main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Well that explains a lot.:p

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
  3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Daisy Ridley really excelled it in TROS!

4. qui-gon-chan

qui-gon-chan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 5, 2018
    Even though I did not like some of the decisions made in ST, and haunted by the kiss Reylo never should have shared, I appreciate you for defending ST against all the odds. @Ender_and_Bean

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  5. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018

Ben-Solo likes this.
  6. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Absolute nonsense if we’re supposed to think Kylo had it worse than Rey. That’s the upside down it’s so bonkers.

7. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Yeah.... Rey had the way worse life than Kylo did. Abandoned and forced to raise herself. If anything, she had the back story of a villain and Kylo had the back story of a hero. Yet Kylo's the one who went Dark and she did not.

8. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    The point is not that Ben Solo had a harder life than Rey, but that he was targeted by Palpatine instead of her because he was available and she was not. If true, it is ironic since she was isolated in such a horrible place, but was protected by being hidden in this place while he had all kinds of advantages, but was exposed.

9. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Houston, we have an empathy gap.

Rey was exposed to an insane amount of forces that could drive a person to the dark side. Manipulation isn’t the only path there. Kylo certainly whined about his lot in life and let that feed his dark side impulses. Rey chose not to go there. She has no reason to relate to Kylo at all on this front.

10. Darth Gummybear

Apr 15, 2016
    I was saying what the point the tweet was making. In this story, Ben Solo’s fall to the dark side was triggered by manipulation by Palpatine. It is a common theme in Star Wars. It happened to Anakin as well. A person’s fears, desires, etc. are manipulated. Rey endured isolated hardship and persevered. Ironically, that isolated hardship prevented her from being exposed to that kind of dark side manipulation.

milena and Ben-Solo like this.
  11. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Exactly.

Palpatine literally killed his own son and daughter (had Ochi do it actually) in search of his Granddaughter Rey, when he wasn’t able to locate Rey on Jakku he began his manipulation (through Snoke) of Ben Solo. Remember Ben didn’t turn until 6 years before TFA.

RetropME, milena and Darth Gummybear like this.
  12. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    If the focus of the story is on how Rey feels like the lucky one compared to Kylo while the narrative ignores the facts of their upbringings, this is automatically an illegitimate premise. At that point, if that’s the story they wanted to tell, they needed to change their backstories to pass the laugh test.

While Ben was being manipulated, he had a loving family of force users to turn to. Somehow he made it through childhood without turning, so his childhood isn’t the part that is the focus. Meanwhile Rey was a child slave in figurative hell. If you’re ignoring that in this comparison, it’s a meaningless comparison.

13. Darth Gummybear

Apr 15, 2016
    Literally no one said any of that. I feel you are willfully disregarding what I said or what that tweet was pointing out.

milena, Darth Buzz and Ben-Solo like this.
  14. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I think you are willfully disregarding how the tweet ignores Rey’s horrific childhood and how easily that could turn someone to the dark side.

15. Darth Gummybear

Apr 15, 2016
    No I am not. The point the tweet makes is that Rey had a much worse life than Ben, but that terrible life strangely protected her from Palpatine’s machinations.

milena, Strategize and Ben-Solo like this.
  16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    To me the Tweet’s issue is more that the implied idea might work... but it seems like an unlikely reaction on Rey’s part if you’re of the school of thought that she knows nothing sympathetic about Kylo in the first place, and that she *should* naturally be inclined far more towards hating him than anything else.

A “There but for the grace of God go I” theme doesn’t necessarily fit if a character might accurately claim to have suffered much, much more than their counterpart, or if their background might emphasize a certain amount of self-suffiency. Rey is a hardened survivor from a brutal planet where her labor was constantly exploited by a foul creature she was dependent on for basic survival, and while Kylo is the product of Palpatine locating and manipulating him... it would make just as much, if not more sense, if Rey were actually more angry, jealous, or livid at Kylo for falling “just because of some whispers” when he still had a mother to hold him and a father to check under his bed for monsters.

There’s a strong argument to make that Rey was still a greater victim of Palpatine via his orphaning her and leaving her to a life of deprivation and true loneliness than Ben ever was... and a human reaction towards Ben at that point doesn’t jump straight to sympathetic easily.

To put it another way... Rey had to cry herself to sleep in a weathered out war machine on an empty stomach probably more often than anyone would like to think about, probably more than once after nearly dying while scrambling through unstable wrecks... but little Ben sometimes heard voices in his head.

Cry her a river.

Understand, I think there actually is some validity to the idea of Rey sympathizing with Kylo being Plapatine’s victim, or being scared at what happened to him being a possibility to her, at least as an idea. But TROS certainly doesn’t suggest that idea with any depth, in part because the Sequel Trilogy long ago abandoned the idea of depth for Rey if it would inconveniently make her wrathful towards Kylo instead of wrathful for Kylo. It’s one of the little things that makes her seem either extremely shallow or almost satirically forgiving and sympathetic towards Kylo... like when Poe has to bandage his arm wound himself, but Rey will prevent an attacking Kylo from dying by giving him some of her life energy... when he’s still evil as far as she knows and within Force choking distance of Finn.

She desperately needed scenes where she could learn what specifically happened to Ben, and to flesh out why that would override her pain or her protectiveness of her friends.

Without those scenes... she has no reason to do what she does beyond authorial fiat.

17. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes you are. Having a terrible life itself can drive someone to the dark side. You have explicitly ignored that. As I already said, manipulation is not the only path to the dark side and it’s dishonest to have this discussion while pretending that it is.

18. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Yep. One of the first rules of writing character motivations is to have them do things that are logical. My primary objection to Rey's motivations is that, from TLJ, they are mostly illogical; she is a victim of bad writing.

One of the things I reasonably assumed we'd get from Rey, from TLJ onwards, was her PTSD coming to the surface at key moments. Instead, she acted like a total idiot. Hard to take her seriously after that...

19. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Great points made by all. I'm somewhat averse to saying Rey suffers from PTSD because I think that term is politically loaded, but I think it's true that TFA's purest expression (Rey's introduction) endows her with righteous grievance, an angry sense of fairness. She comes from a Hobbesian reflection of ANH's Tatooine that should be hostile to Kylo's elite inheritance. LFL wanted to make her the girl from the "wrong side of the tracks," but they were ultimately terrified of what kind of character that would result in, and detoured into other ideas.

Unfortunately, Abrams' and Johnson's liberal politics had to blame her grievances on psycho/sexual dysfunction, at least that's what Reylos would have us believe. The primal essence of her character (rooted in GL's elusive treatments) is that of a prophet, but Disney straightjackets her into the role of patient.

ami-padme and AhsokaSolo like this.
  20. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    How is PTSD politically loaded? I don't understand... I've worked in mental health for more than 15 years, and I cannot imagine what else she would be more likely to suffer from. I mean, I can list depression, anxiety, some sort of personality disorder (perhaps avoidant, or even dependant,) the list goes on... but PTSD, definitely a likely IMHO.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Maybe I'm not understanding the terms (I'll defer to anyone who's educated in these fields) but I thought PTSD results from a singular or localized experience. It's not the kind of diagnosis that emerges from an entire life. What specific experience did Rey supposedly have which traumatized her before the start of TFA? Being a psuedo-slave? I don't see any evidence in the films where those experiences cause her to have panic attacks or emotional breakdowns or depression any other symptom of PTSD. She seems to have adjusted to that quite well actually.

The parents thing, what's weird is that the films want her to be an adult and a child at the same time. I don't think it really nuances the character so much as infantilizes her. She is self reliant, but also emotionally insecure? It's made weirder by the fact that Ridley is clearly a woman in her twenties. I guess I can see the intention there, but it's never convincing, there are conflicting agendas in the writing.

CISMestizo likes this.
  22. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    PTSD can come from a singular event or it can come from a series of events. Like any of us, I'm filling in the gaps in our knowledge of her experiences on Jakku, and I'm inclined to think she has suffered from long term brutalisation in her harsh existence. My problem with her characterisation is that she shows compassion in a situation where she would be more likely to be selfish for the sake of survival. It sort of works in TFA, but doesn't quite ring true for me; and I instinctively try to contextualise her experiences prior to those events, so I'm not just thinking here of what we see, but what we can speculate on.

When I've nursed adolescents who have grown up without love or affection, they often have very stunted communication involving extreme mood swings, tantrums and even stilted speech and a severely blunted affect; generally pretty poor social skills. I actually don't claim expertise in this field; I don't claim expertise in anything I do, but I do have quite a lot of experience of this.

Now, many people with PTSD who have otherwise normal living environments can seem fine on the surface, until certain things trigger their flashbacks; nightmares etc. To me, there's nothing normal about Rey's existence. Either way, even if one doesn't like a particular label ascribed to her, she is hardly going to come out of the experience 'undamaged'. One way or the other, I'm pretty disappointed with how they handled her mental state; not because I expect her to be a basket case necessarily (I'd expect her to be very self-reliant certainly), but I'd expect a more complex and intriguing character, reacting oddly or overreacting to certain situations.

23. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I was never expecting to see Rey suffer from PTSD because she clearly wasn’t written with such in mind. In TFA she was written essentially with Luke’s ANH personality (too naïve and nice for her own good, almost like she was raised by a loving, sheltering family) despite having a villain’s backstory.

Rian Johnson just continued what JJ Abrams started. She’s always been a bit too simplistic shell of a character to ever feel like she could develop conditions comparable to the human experience.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Glitterstimm and CairnsTony like this.
  24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Harsh. I understand your point, but SW never had incredibly realistic characters.

Luke in the OT maybe.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  25. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    For me personally, a more believable depiction of Rey when we first meet her would have been someone who was more feral, if not necessarily 'animalistic', and more inclined to act then speak, sometimes violently. We see glimpses of this, but nothing overly convincing, such as when she fights off the thugs trying to steal BB-8. If then, she is to develop into your main protagonist, it needs to be done more gradually, with setbacks along the way. Instead, she's just showing us all how super-duper she is...

In a way, it could have been interesting to have a sort of wolf-child character using the Force in sudden and unexpected ways when she's angry, or even joyous about something; someone who trusts absolutely no one, but learns by degrees how to give a crap about others through seminal experiences along the way. Some folks may not have found it all that compelling, but I see no reason they couldn't have handled her very differently.