main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, we got “productions” in the stage of scripting and then productions with an actor attached … Director names are thrown around, as if anyone can guarantee an A-lister wound wait for years … it is funny at what state these movies have been sold as “in production”. They really need to stop this. Really.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    You really mean it?

3. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    The working title for this movie should be "Star Wars: Rogue Script".

4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I read that differently they planned a Star Wars film, Lucasfilm with Patty Jenkins, Jenkins walked away to do Wonder Woman 3 then Wonder Woman 3 got shelved so Disney worked out a contract to have Jenkins write the Script and Direct. The script should be done we should be seeing rumors soon about when filming starts and casting rumors! This is just an excerpt of an article from months ago that was posted on here months ago it's not the whole article. If I had to guess filming starts end of year December or first quarter of next year.

This Deadline article is taken from an old interview that Jenkins did during the Oscars in March so she has been writing a script since March maybe before she said her and Lucasfilm signed a contract back before the strikes to direct the movie and write the script! She may have been writing during the script!

https://deadline.com/2024/05/patty-jenkins-wonder-woman-3-star-wars-rogue-squadron-1235906742/

Last edited: May 20, 2024
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t know. And given the quality of the last script Jenkins wrote, the likelihood of a greenlight is even lower. I hope not though. I really want to see Top Gungan.

Nom von Anor and rocknroll41 like this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It's fair to point out that WW84 had heavy studio interference. Just like the decision to bring Whedon in to redo Josstice League. It was not a good time at WB, and filmmakers can not be solely blamed for the quality of those films.

I'm not a particular fan of Patty Jenkins, but fair is fair.

7. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    I'd be real careful Googling for that if you've got SafeSearch turned off.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Good to know! I didn’t like the first WW either, but the second was so much worse. And this makes sense as a likely explanation.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, the WB was trying to reset from the Snyderverse, and make things less "grimdark". So new scenes were hastily shot, the tone was changed, the editing was interfered with, etc., in an attempt to "course correct". It didn't work, of course, because that kind of thing often doesn't. But it was done to several of the films at the time.

WW84, Josstice League, and Suicide Squad were all heavily altered, to the chagrin of the directors.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I welcome a world where studios finally realize that both Snyder and Whedon suck. We’re nearly there. I have hope.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Do you mean Wonder Woman 84? I liked that film IMHO very underrated movie that I think will age well in time like The Star Wars PT I loved the first one but I probably watch 84 way more! Kind of like over the Years Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull has become my most watched Indy Film slowly being replaced by Dial Of Destiny which I feel is right up there with The first 3 Indy Films. All this being said really not fair to compare a Wonder Woman film and A Star Wars film two different Animals but I find it funny that most bring up WW84 as a knock on Jenkins but fail to mention The First Wonder Woman movie...

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I usually mention both WW movies.

13. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I’m with you. WW84 is my favorite DCEU film. Jenkins injects a lot of heart into her WW films, and I was hoping to see her bring that to this Rogue Squadron film.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    A lot of heart, and a lot of subpar directing and writing. But at least there’s a lot of heart.

15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    The film is back on she is supposedly writing the Rogue Squadron script now and after the WW 3 Movie fell through Disney/Lucasfilm hammered out a contract with Jenkins to direct the Film. So it might come out in 2026 may be? Jenkins said all this in March during an Oscars interview! If you go back a few pages I posted the article with the interview!

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  16. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I would also love to see Gareth Edwards come back to do Rogue Squadron, like a spiritual follow up to Rogue One.

I think a big appeal of returning to the OT era is about nailing the vibe and verisimilitude, which is basically what Rogue One gets by on alone (the X-Wing sequence being a shining example of this), and that's pretty much what I'd want from my Rogue Squadron experience. And as we're about to enter a pretty saturated SW landscape, I think aligning it to the Rogue One / Andor lane of "serious/realistic" Star Wars could give it some extra appeal.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I like that idea. Trying to ape the tone and style of the OT is subject to diminishing returns, I think. Which is why Rogue One and Andor are so refreshing. It’s the OT era, but under a sharper lens. And that makes it additive rather than imitative.

18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I think instead of having Gareth Edwards direct Rogue Squadron, he should helm a film that directly leads into the beginning of The Phantom Menace. It would be like poetry.
    Ever since reading the crawl for Episode I, I've tried to imagine the turmoil that was engulfing the Galactic Republic. How bad could the "turmoil" have been? Bring on the turmoil. Make it unsettling. I want to feel confused and uncertain about the state of the galaxy. I've pictured in my head the disputes about the taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems. I want to hear these arguments from both sides. I've also thought about all of the logistics of organizing the blockade of deadly battleships. Did the Neimoidians hire outside consultants and blockade strategists, or was it all in-house? How many hats did each Neimoidian pack for their trip to Naboo? I want numbers. Finally, I want to see Chancellor Valorum sneaking around on Coruscant, in disguise, to visit the Jedi Temple, in order to secretly dispatch 500 Jedi Knights, and then to be informed that only two were available.

19. Clone8looper

Clone8looper Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2023
    You could call it Brogue Squadron, ‘cause that sounds like a load of cobblers.

Bor Mullet, Siphonophore and Sarge like this.
  20. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    How about we call it In Brogues ? It could star Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ciarán Hinds, all as Neimoidian blockade strategists.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is the kind of thinking we need more of at Lucasfilm.

Siphonophore likes this.
  22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Jenkins is writing and directing people are just setting themselves up for disappointment dreaming for other directors this is going forward with Jenkins who is writing the script now and signed on to direct. I bet people love the film when it's done and think differently of Jenkins after she knocks it out of the park!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    Siphonophore and Sarge like this.
  23. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Now, when you say park, are we talking about Roguely Field?

24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say the chances of Gareth directing another Star Wars movie are pretty much zero

Also, happy 100 pages to the thread [face_party]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Which is unfortunate, as he directed the best Star Wars film since the Empire Strikes Back.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2024