main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Absolutely!!

There are NO pilots of interest in the ST timeline that I can even think of [face_dunno] The OT timeline has dozens (RO added Blue Squadron and they were great) Hell, you could easily explain the absence of Luke here with your idea, as he was off training with Yoda! Oh the potential :_|

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    2Cleva, Glitterstimm and Sarge like this.
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Well, they logline for the movie indicates it’ll be following a new generation of pilots, thereby most likely implying new characters… so I don’t think it matters very much whether or not the ST has pilots of interest to follow.

Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No pilots of interest? Please.
    [​IMG]

4. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    How exactly does one come up with the OT having "dozens" of pilots of interest?
    You have Wedge, that's about it. Everyone else was on screen for about five seconds or died very quickly. Nothing about them was particularly noteworthy. ANH had a prolonged space battle that was the focus of the story, which was way different from what could be seen in ESB and ROTJ. That gave a bit more time to spend with the pilots than in any other Star Wars movie. So that's a difference between ANH and everything else, not the difference between the OT-timeline and the ST.

Rogue One had General Merrick, apart from that no one else was on screen long enough to be memorable (outside of the cameos from ANH). I don't see how any of them is more interesting than Poe or even Snap Wexley or Talli Lintra. If anything, they are decidedly less so.

If you'd go by (fighter) pilots in the movies and how noteworthy they were in the story, the list probably goes like this:
    - Luke, though he stopped being a pilot and thus has no real role to fill here
    - Poe, obviously the most featured fighter-pilot in the movies
    - Wedge, the only one to make multiple proper appearances
    afterwards there isn't a whole lot to work with, just minor bits here and there, and almost all of them died in the movie they appeared in.

All of that obviously doesn't even cover that the story is about new pilots. So it couldn't be less relevant how "interesting" pilots from other movies were. And it's not like you can't have characters appear again later on in the timeline. It's probably easier to have Wedge return in a leadership role for a New Republic themed movie than it would be to have him re-appear in an OT one.

With new characters, it is completely irrelevant whether the story plays in or right after the OT, leading up to or during the ST, or even after the ST. What you need is interesting characters and a good story, the setting is of minor consequence.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Honestly, after seeing the writer they hired, I have a little anxiety about this movie. But I don't want to be one of the alarmist, negative fans; then I'd be a hypocrite. I am honestly way more excited about some upcoming shows than this movie. I might get more excited when I see the trailer though, if it looks good.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    True. Though I would add that the setting should be interesting for a film to rise to another level of great. But to your point, any setting can be made interesting, whether it’s OT, ST or whatever, if the writers…make it so. If it’s simply flimsy window dressing, with no sociological depth that helps contextualize and amplify the drama the characters experience, that’s an issue with the writers, not with the “era.”

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Don't forget Biggs, especially if you canonize his deleted scenes.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Biggs is right!

9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    And after Vader blows him up, Biggs is bright!

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    :( Too soon, man, too soon.

EHT, Nom von Anor and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The Biggs family demands an apology.

EHT likes this.
  12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    "He was a war hero because he got blown up by Darth Vader. I like people who didn't get blown up by Darth Vader. He lost and let us down. I've never liked him as much after that. I don't like losers."

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wow, you suck at apologies. :p

14. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I think it’d be cool if one of the main characters is the kid of an OG Rogue Squadron member like Dak Ralter or Gavin Darklighter or something, featuring a flashback of an OT battle from their perspective.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  15. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    Biggs could have been BIGLY. But he got caught. Losers get caught. He is Smalls. You're killing me, Smalls.

PymParticles and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Biggs coulda been somebody. Instead of blown up, which is what he is.

Sadie Erso, PymParticles and Sarge like this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is the most Canadian post ever.

18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    …How dare you. This is as American as it gets.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I might have needed to include the "wink" emoji on that last post. :)

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Rogue Squadron has been delayed according to SWNN. Old Republic on deck as the next feature film.

2Cleva likes this.
  21. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    2024 december ost likley for this, so hopefully another year makes this a good tar wars movie.

22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Almost 3 years until this film. Do you guys think we’ll get a trailer next year?

24. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No.

2Cleva likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Didn’t we get a trailer for TFA a year out? I know that was special, but it’s not impossible.