main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RYL: The PT Social Thread, open until at least Feb 11 2023

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Feb 8, 2021.

?

Is Dandy's name Meg?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    outside of the eleven released star wars films, i think i have five or six, counting my first one from criterion. a few bond films and the nolan batman trilogy. my physical collection is very sparse.

2. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Looked at an unboxing, and it seems a part of the stand is stuck to the model so you can more easily place it on the stand. Not sure if it removable.

3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    @heels1785

Thanks for the link. Cary Grant is cool. North By Northwest is one of me faves from he and Hitch. And Cary with Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby is brilliant. One of my fave RomComs.

The Criterion Showa-Era Godzilla collection is just about one of the best I've ever seen from any franchise. 15 films on blu ray, plus two alternate versions of 2 of the films, loads of extras, essays for each film, and great artwork. And agreed on the original; it is one of the best and has a haunting ending.

I started my Criterion Collection like you, buying films I really like and from favorite directors (Kurosawa, Kubrick, Lynch) and it sort of grew from there with a few blind buys thrown in after having only watched a trailer or brief non spoiler review.

I've watched 35 of them so far and have never been disappointed; these are all desert island type movies that I cherish alongside my fave franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and DC.

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

All models should be able to be free of their oppressive stands :p

5. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

6. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    If you count all my Blu-rays and DVDs together, I have more than 49.

7. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    Yeah, i think you can remove it, but i cant seem to find anything about it online. Huge shame if you cant remove it at all.

Here you can see two transparent pegs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  8. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    That's the beauty of physical media collecting; the amount of items in the collection isn't important, but rather that it is your special collection, regardless of how many items are in it.

If someone has 2-3 of something, that's a collection!

Admittedly, I went a bit overboard collecting Doctor Who and Criterion Collection blu rays this past year but I've no regrets although it is quite expensive.

That is why I'm on an indefinite hiatus from film purchases until further notice.

Since I've recently started buying retro games on ebay, I've been thinking about starting to sell on there too. Especially for books and CDs that I no longer listen to. I figure if I haven't used them in a year during quarantine it might be time to let go of some items.

9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Speaking of Who, @Dagobahsystem, have you watched any new eps recently? :)

10. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    This is probably a question for @christophero30, but would I be insane to pay $55 dollars for an import of the Japanese 40th anniversary SACD box of Billy Joel's 52nd Street? I already have it on vinyl. But 52nd Street in surround sound would be... cool.

11. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    That's the thing, I've been a bit overwhelmed lately with all my collections: books, vinyl, blu rays, retro games plus the streaming services, so I've been neglecting Doctor Who sadly.

My Whovian buddy, who is fully vaccinated, is coming over here Saturday and we're gonna watch some eps. I got my first shot a couple weeks ago.

But yeah, I look at my DW collection everyday and am meaning to get back into it as well as reading the books and comics I have.

I must admit, I went a little crazy buying DW stuff there for awhile over the summer but I've no regrets. It's one of my all time fave shows and I did make my way through loads of content in only one year seeing how long the shows history is.

What have you been watching or reading from DW lately?

12. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Haven't actually watched any Who in a while, though around Christmas I did binge a lot of eps of Torchwood, the spinoff, in a rather random and roundabout order. It's a bit rough as a show at times, but the high points are so good that it makes it worth it.

Lately me and my sisters have been nostalgically rewatching the show Primeval, which was created in 2007 as a Doctor Who 'rival', so to speak. It's about time anomalies that prehistoric creatures from various eras start pouring into the present day. It's actually quite structurally similar to Torchwood too :p

The first two series of Primeval are amazing, outstanding, brilliant. Series 3... well, to be charitable the term would be 'mixed bag ;) It has some really great episodes, and some awful episodes, and you can tell the show has some behind the scenes tumult. 2 of the lead actors leave halfway through the series, and new replacements take a while to bed in. There's also a really bad conspiracy arc plot in Series 3 that's just so unsubtle. Though somehow the finale is one of the best episodes ever. So it's all over the place. Yet I still love it to bits :)

Edit: Oh, and I forgot, Primeval has one of my favourite opening titles of any show:

The music, the cool effects (that mirror the effect for the anomalies in the show), I love it.

13. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    That's great @darkspine10
    Glad you're enjoying those shows.

Regarding Torchwood and Primeval: Don't tempt me Frodo! [face_laugh]

Seriously, I'm not purchasing anything else film or show wise, or even starting anything new until I've thoroughly watched and enjoyed everything I've currently got.

@Huttese 101
    As for the 52nd Street import, you should get it if it makes you happy and it is something you will enjoy for years to come. Plus, you seem to be rather sensible and frugal with regard to collecting physical media based on what you've stated, so it might be fun to treat yourself.

14. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    @darkspine10 I stopped watching Dr Who around Matt Smith, have you enjoyed the other 2 Doctor's episodes? Ive heard they're quite contentious with fans for various reasons, and curious what you think of them. Especially the timeless children episode, which I've heard a is quite controversial.

15. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I quite enjoyed Capaldi's run, had the same head writer as Matt Smith. Some of the arcs were a little less to my liking, but the 12th Doctor himself is always great. I'm much less enamoured with Jodie Whitaker's portrayal sadly. There are a few really great episodes (Demons of the Punjab or Fugitive of the Judoon come to mind), but I think the current head writer, Chris Chibnall, is just not particularly skilled, which hurts when he writes around 50% of each series :p

As for the Timeless Children, I thought the episode itself was kinda bleh, an unsatisfying resolution and too much info-dumping, but the lore retcons don't bother me much. It's hardly the first time Who's blown open its own canon, and it won't be the last ;)

16. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    I didnt see much of episodes with Capaldi, but i like him as the Dr, he just looks great in the part. From what I've seen of Jodie, she has potential, but due to the writing comes across as quite inconsistent. Not Jodies fault, its mainly the writing.

Ive heard similar things about Chris, that he's mostly to blame as the head writer, so i hope they get someone better to help him out or replace him, that might improve the show.

17. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Was gonna say, I assumed Darsk liked Capaldi, but was unsure of his thoughts on Whitaker.

I meself have only seen 1 episode from each thus far, both of which I liked, albeit that is a small sample.

The Capaldi ep I seen was when the Doctor is being tormented in this giant Castle by some frightening entity, can't remember the title, but it is well loved as one of his best and scariest DW episodes.

What's it called @darkspine10 ?

Wait, I seen the pilot and follow up episode featuring Jodi, so two eps for her.

My fave Doctors are Eccleston, Tenant, and Tom Baker, of course.

I also really like Troughton and McCoy thus far.

18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    That ep is Heaven Sent, it is often lauded as one of the best episodes. I like it just fine myself, but it's not top tier :p

My fave Capaldi episodes are Flatline, The Husbands of River Song (though it relies on a lot of callbacks to the Matt Smith era), and World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls :)

19. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Ah yes! Heaven Sent.
    Thank you @darkspine10
    I loved that ep.

Will look forward to seeing those other Capaldi eps you mentioned, though I must make my way through Matt Smith first. [face_whistling]

Hard to imagine either of them topping Christopher and David but time will tell as it were. :D

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

darsk i'm expecting to see this guy show up in some of your hiking photography

21. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    York would be closer to Dandy, but that's still on the other side of the country

22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I've actually got a walking holiday booked in Yorkshire for May :p

23. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    [face_laugh]

That's awesome.
    Perhaps the Timberwolves should draft him? :p

24. Jedi Knight Fett