main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SFF Writer's Guild Writing Contest: February 2006

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DorkmanScott, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Er... did you mean to post that in the Guild? :p Even so, don't post it over there, it's still out of place. :p

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've just registered with writing.com so I'm all set for reading (should I be picked as judgeworthy)

3. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    When will judging end?

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    When does judging start???

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I've run into a bit of a snag posting to Writing.Com.

There's an item limit for free memberships of 5 items. We've got 7.

I've decided instead to simply make a packet to e-mail to the judges of all the stories. The stories will be made available to the public after judging, and at the entrants' discretion, in their own Writing.Com accounts.

I'll send out the packet this afternoon to the three judges who contacted me:

NYCitygurl
    Dark_Lady_Jada
    Master-Fatburt

If there was another, please contact me again, otherwise these are our three judges.

M. Scott

6. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    You aren't a judge too, Scott? I thought you were. :confused:

7. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    It was, if I'm not mistaken, agreed that the contest host would not be a judge as the host knows who the authors are.

M. Scott

8. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Ohhh yeah...

9. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Would it be possible to send out the packet to others as well? Assuming that it's done strictly on direct request, and of course that the authors' names aren't included, could that work? As long as it remains request-only, surely this doesn't contravene the first-publication-rights thing (not being available to the general public?)

It's just that it seems a pity that entrants and spectators can't read along and discuss during the judging period. I know I'd like to read all the entries before we have results, and I'm sure there are other Guilders and spectators who would too.

Just a thought. :)

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Just recieved the entries for judging.

I've had a very quick scan through all of them, and I mean very quick and they all on the surface look like a fair bit of work has been thrown into them.

So before I even get into judging mode I'm going to say well done to the entrants for getting these in and I look forwards to reading your work.

The judgings have to be back to the host (Dorkman) in 3 weeks (28th) so we should have plenty of time to cover them all in detail.

So good luck everyone and may the best story win. :)

11. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    could someone possible notify me when the next contest is
    Id really like to write for the next one

12. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Three weeks of judging . . . [face_worried]

I hope you have a nice time, Master-FatBurt, and thanks for judging! :) Hoperfully there's no real trash in there - shouldn't be, as all the Guilders and associates seem pretty talented.

13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    An alright deadline, but if you guys get the judging done earlier, don't feel constrained to release the results earlier! :)

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The judges don't release the scores; DarkmanScott does. He controls that.

15. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    If I get 'em early, they go out early.

It looks like we'll only have two judges this contest. Dark_Lady_Jada hasn't logged on in over a month. :(

M. Scott

16. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, wait! She's still here, just under her older username: Sith_Wench. :)

17. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    So...when's this going to be all said and done?

18. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I think it's ridiculous that, without the extention, the judges have longer to read the entries than the participants had to write them. That just seems stupid to me. What takes longer, reading or writing? Hmmmm.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I didn't get the entries until about 3 days after the closing date (The extended one) so I haven't had any longer to read any entry over another.

Also I have 7 entries to read whereas the entrants had 1 entry to write. So I think the time frame is quite good.

I've so far read all the entrants (I will not be giving any clues as to how I found them here) and have marked up preliminary scores.

I have started reading them again so I can then solidify and justify my scores with my short paragraph.

Do you want them scoring accurately based on a thorough reading or a quick "Yeah that was good 8/10"?

Judging isn't easy. I have to justify why I have marked how I have so as not to offend anyone who may get a low score on one area and I also have to show consistancy across the marking. If I don't like one story but like another I can't mark the less like story down just because I didn't like it. I will get a low mark in the Entertainment category but I have to justify why, likewise if another story is similar and I did like it I have to be able to justify why.

In a nut shell I'm on second readthrough and I'll have my final scores to the Dorkman for the weekend.

He then needs to process and put out the results.

After that I suggest we then discuss how to make the next contest better

20. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    I'd rather have a thorough review than a quick one. Also three weeks isn't half bad - I remember one challenge in FF where it finished in mid-February and we didn't have the results until April.

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    First, the original times were 3 weeks for writing and 3 for judging.

Second, FatBurt is right--it takes longer to judge. We've put a lot of work into this, and given up several hours of our time. It's hard work, and the paragrahs explaining have to be helpful and show mistakes, but also have to be nice.

I'm about to send the results to our host, though I wish I had more time to read these (my own fault, however--too much school work 8-} ).

Please respect all the time and effort we've put in, because if we just get grief over this, I, for one, am not ging to be inclined to do it again.

22. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    We all appreciate the efforts everyone put into this. Thank you all.

23. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Right on!

24. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Right on with the 'Right on!'

25. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    ^ what they said :p

Seriously though, judges, Dorkman, we do appreciate all the work you've done. Thank you so much [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.