main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    So @mavjade , what progress have you made, towards applying for that job you were interested in? I couldn't see an update.

@Briannakin , well done on sorting your Index. Light at the end of the tunnel.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    ROUGH DRAFT OF MY DISSERTATION IS COMPLETE!!! I still have to do editing, formatting, inserting pics from my case study etc. Plus I have to email a chapter to my supervisor for review, then apply his critiques to the rest of it, but, yeah, vast majority of the work is done!! I figure all that might take me about 3 weeks.

So I'm taking next week off because I need it!

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    YAY Bri!!! Whooooo!!!!
    [​IMG]

Thank you for asking! I wrote a cover letter, updated my resume but I've not sent it in yet. [face_blush]
    I keep feeling bad about it because I've been asked to do some teaching again, and some of my coworkers want to work on a project. None of it's enough to make me want to stay, but it makes me feel guilty. Which is stupid, I might not even get the job, and I don't owe anyone to stay in a job I don't like, but I still feel that way. Stupid irrational feelings!

Briannakin likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well done on doing the cover letter and sprucing up your resume. Having those chores out of the way, will help when you see further opportunities.

If you will allow me, I'm going to stage a minor intervention, and wrap you being asked to teach, your co-workers' project, and literally everything making you feel guilty about this; and tying them all up in a blue commemorative Star Wars ribbon entitled Uncle Owen asking Luke to stay for one more season.

Drokk Uncle Owen.

Print the letter and resume off, stick 'em in an envelope, and send it in. Just send it. You will feel better, just getting it out of the way.

Not sure if this counts as an instruction, however at these moments, I adopt this line from Alien:
    "All other priorities are rescinded."

Send it in.

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. Plus now I can work on fanfic and not feel guilty I should be spending those words on my dissertation (I can only type a limited amount these days before my wrist starts killing me)!!!!!

I agree with Sith. Just send it in.

I understand feeling guilty (as we both know) but it's your life and you don't owe it to anyone to stay there. If you feel it's time to move on, then start moving on.

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Two weeks from today, I'll be done with my two years as a hosting missionary. People here keep telling me I'll really want to come back as soon as I'm done. Yes, I had those same feelings when leaving my missionary work in California in 2003, but I knew it was time to move on and made my peace with that. I don't want to sound callous, but I'm a long way from retirement and have things to do. I've already submitted applications to present at a symposium next year and submitted the form to audition as one of the musicians in the buildings I've been working at. That way, I can come for a couple of hours every month or so and still have the rest of my week open.

I'm also 4 weeks from getting to Boston for a nice, long weekend. It's my best friend's son's birthday and he has no idea that first thing on 8/30, Mom has to bring him to the airport for an errand. Picking me up to visit until the day after his tenth birthday is that errand.

I was looking at memories on Facebook and finding these posts about how I'd write for 5 hours before I had any plans with friends on weekends. I'm looking forward to having that kind of leisure time.

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @DarthIshtar - after reading the schedule for one of your days / weeks, getting away from that, even permanently, you have absolutely nothing to feel callous about.

And you've done it twice! California and Boston!

I salute you. ^:)^

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I did eighteen months in California and 2 years in SLC. The eighteen months was 24/7 and SLC was 2 days a week, but while I was working one job full-time and getting a lot more responsibility than I had when I started. They were both unspeakably hard at times in completely different ways. But thanks for the salute. :) But I plan on using some of this newfoujnd free time to fanfic.

9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, yes, yes! Read books for fun, write fanfic, get a pedicure, take naps (if you can while your housemate practices yodeling...) GOOF OFF!!! You have earned it!!!! [face_party][face_party][face_party][face_dancing][face_dancing]@};-

Briannakin and DarthIshtar like this.
  10. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Completly burned out right now. Last night I was working from 8PM to 8AM this morning as a night guard for the Ed Sheran concert in my town. Then I came home got some sleep and went to take care of distributing papers in our quater of the city this night. Tomorrow I´ve another nine hour shift of guard at a local festival. Defently a busy weekend that for sure, esopcially as I´ve spent the last two days trapped in a state somewhere between diareah and constupation. Seems that getting better though, hope I´ll be fitter tomorrow.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks! I'm thinking all those things are on my 'to do' list. I went shopping today to treat myself, but didn't find everything I wanted to get, so I'm thinking some online shopping is in order!

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, you work HARD. Hope you feel better. My boss in the nonprofit found out last night about a death in the family, so all of us board members swung into action to take duties off her plate for a while. At least I know we can do it, since we took over when she went out of town weeks ago and already know who to rely on and what needs to be done.

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm off on a camping trip tomorrow, no wi-fi, so you won't hear from me for a bit.

Take care of yourself, drink lots of water & eat plain foods, @Anedon. Something didn't agree with you, just let your system get through it. You are working VERY hard, and your Dad must be happy about that, since he was hassling you, before.

Findswoman likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Have fun on your camping trip @Mistress_Renata! I'm not a huge camper, but sometimes it's just nice to get away from it all.

Good luck with the extra stuff, DarthIshtar! sounds like you guys have it.

Housemates had to postpone part 2 of our garage sale till next weekend. Didn't really affect me (but considering they are planning on moving out next Friday, they are cutting things close! But I'm going to demand ALL their stuff is out of the garage by the time they leave). But it did mean my weekend has been pretty uneventful and my 'week off' is turning out to be really boring so far. I can't wait to move. I'll be a 7 minute drive from a beach with a boardwalk. Even on boring days like today I'll be able to walk down there in like an hour (IF I EVER GET THIS STUPID PUSH ASSIST FOR MY WHEELCHAIR... another rant for another time), which will be a nice way to kill boring afternoons. I'll also be the same distance away from a mountain park with a bunch of trails. I may invest in another hand bike eventually (my old one is from when I was like 8).

Also, I think I've found what I'm going to treat myself with once I am totally finished editing/formatting my dissertation and submit it. I didn't know Her Universe sold Harry Potter stuff until I saw an ad, so I decided to see what they had and I saw this beautiful backpack and I just love it (IT HAS THESTRALS ON IT!!!!). It's just that cute, yet functional gift for myself that I've been looking for.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Currently working on Chapter 2 of The Rise of Skywalker. I think I'm in about 15 minutes of movie time.

Anticipating a busy working schedule starting in the middle of this month.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    10 days moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore. My last day at one building is this Saturday and I have next Friday as well. Both of those things mean that my trip home to Boston is getting really close, which makes me so happy. On the other hand, my parents want to have dinner on the last day and they're both being kind of jerks to me recently, so I'm tempted to bring someone along to make them behave. But since they're paying, I'd have to pay for my plus-one.

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Tell them the truth. They may not want to hear it, but they need to hear it. You're an adult and don't need to submit yourself to them anymore. You have every right to tell them they are being jerks and that having dinner together, or being involved in your life in other ways, is conditional on them stopping that. And if they refuse, you're well within your rights to tell them no. Just because they want to pay doesn't mean that you're obligated to do it. Sometimes you have to show them tough love like they probably did to you when you were little.

I'm on the verge myself of telling my dad to **** off with his racist, homophobic, transphobic, and blatantly false political statements on Facebook. I probably will if he puts another damn Trump sign in our yard next year, if I don't just completely move out and disown him. If my scholarships for the 2019-2020 academic year all renew for 2020-2021, I'll finally have enough money to do so.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Lady_Misty and DarthIshtar like this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats on almost being done.

I'm kinda a "pick your battles" sorta person. It depends on why they are being jerks to you, but bringing a plus-one is always a solid strategy. Maybe tell the plus one why they are there and ask them to like order a salad or something if money is tight for you.

But I also totally get your position JC. I managed to get out of a situation like that and it changed me (for the better).

I had to go to the eye doctor today (and I'm now just recovering from the dilation). Myopia has gotten slightly worse, but I'm showing no signs of retinopathy (what caused my father's blindness) sooooo I'll take it. I do, however, need new glasses and new sunglasses for driving because my prescription has changed so much, which isn't really an experience I wanted this month (I know I could just replace the lenses but these ones are a year old and my doctor was kinda concerned at how flimsy the hinges are). Ugh. I think I'm going to go back to buying my glasses online. While it does suck to not be able to try them on, I know the measurements of my current glasses and its so much cheaper! Plus, last time I got my normal glasses in town and my sunglasses online, and yet I got my sunglasses like 5 days earlier.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My mom lied about something two years ago and my dad still harasses me about it and does so in fast-moving vehicles and pretends that we have this great relationship and I make up all negativity. I only text him to keep a paper trail.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So, here's my odd family interaction for the month. I have this cousin who is around the same age (a bit older) as me, but because of family dynamics we've never been close at all. I'm actively friends with all my other cousins who are the same age as me, because we all grew up as a gaggle of miscreants, but she has maybe said like 2 sentences to me in our lifetimes, and this includes a number of recent family weddings where we sitting at the same table and family emergencies where we've been in the same hospital waiting room (it's like whatever, she's the same way to the rest of the cousins). Anyways so I really wasn't expecting a Facebook message from her this morning. She's moving here in October (she hasn't lived here since she was like 5) and was told by her step-mother (the only thing this cousin and I have I common is the mutual loathing of her dad's - my uncle's - new wife) that I had a basement suite she could rent. Not sure how dated my aunt's info is, but I was VERY thankful I had a legitimate reason to tell my cousin no (I'm moving and I'm selling the house, and even if I wasn't, I have many other people who I would have rather lived with and would have said yes).

In other, kinda related topic, I'm not sure if I just need a break from life or if I'm just so ready to move on with my life. This week was supposed to be restful and fun. Instead I've just been busy with other stuff and bored. But I'm actually staying home today and I might hook up that Super NES found in my garage.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Classic video game therapy sounds awesome right now. You should totally do that.

Lady_Misty and Briannakin like this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm trying to eat some of the stuff that has been in my deepfreeze for awhile instead of grocery shopping, so I think it's going to be a video game and pizza night. Though I'm having one of those "wait, what? it's 4:30 already!" days." Not that I'm complaining.

I'm kinda thankful this week off has been so boring. It's making me want to work just to have something to do, so I'm hoping on Monday Monday I'll be like "Okay! Lets be productive and get this dissertation edited!". But it will be my housemates last week here so they are letting me take advantage of that. I'm letting them pay less rent (because they are broke) in exchange for some favours for me - mostly cleaning inside and outside the house to get it ready to sell. I'm not sure how great of a job they will do, but it might save me a few hours. But they might need instructions from me.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  23. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Pizza and video games sounds like a great evening. I've been trying to get back into writing lately but it's not happening.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  24. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    That's the best way to spent an evening. ;)
    Do it every friday since middleschool. When I get back from work I get myself a hot Pizza and then spent the rest of the night playing video games. Usually with my best friend via steam. Though currently he is on vacation so I'm playing alone.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  25. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    O yes! it may be time to pull out the N64 for some Goldeneye!

Lady_Misty and Briannakin like this.