main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  2. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Thanks for your searchs Gamiel [face_coffee] or :beer: :p

3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Saw that. :D A bit icky, but...the dude deserved it, abso-kriffin-lutely. :D

We had a horrible day.

Door bell and phone woke me up in the middle of the night. I thought something happened to my aunt and, when I heard the voice of our downstairs neighbour, I thought there was a fire, so I screamed into the handset.

It wasn't a fire. It was a flood in our half-bath, the hose leading to the cistern broke under pressure. We panicked so much, not realising that it was happening in our home, because the light went off the moment I turned it on. The intervention team more or less called us stupid - they spent a total of one minute in our apartment, closed the vent and went away.

The kitchen and the corridor were flooded, too and mom and I spent two hours cleaning it all up. Then the ladder fell of the hook and it's a miracle that it didn't fall on one of us or break the toilet bowl. Once it dawned, I looked off the balcony and saw that water was dripping on the outside of the building. The half-bath window was completely wet, too, because water went up, too.

Later on, the neighbour came around and insisted that I take a look at the damage in her apartment. There are water marks in her bathroom, pantry, corridor and kitchen. And we have no money to pay for a paint job. Luckily, she said that it will take until spring for all of that to dry, but still...GULP!

#KML

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I really liked that video/commercial. The first part reminded me of the Soyuz-Apollo mission in 1975. I remember all the doom and gloom naysayers saying it was a horrible idea. The Russians were our enemy and we should not work with them in space. Now we hitch rides with the Russians to get to the International Space Station. :p It would be great if humans had such a future.

Ewok Poet I am sorry to hear about your flood. I have dealt with a couple of those in my time. It is such a mess to clean up after.

I got a scare this morning. My son just got his license and is now driving to school himself. It is a 30 minute drive. Anyway, at 9AM I get a robocall from his school saying he did not show up. I, of course, freaked out thinking he crashed his car. [face_nail_biting] I call the school but just get a busy signal. I call over and over and over and I can't get through. Finally I get another robocall from the school saying, "Sorry but there was a problem and an absent student call went out to EVERYBODY." All the kids from kindergarten through 12th grade somehow got marked as absent because of some computer glitch and all parents were notified. :rolleyes: Those poor office workers probably had to field calls from dozens and dozens of upset parents before they could get that second call out.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh no, EP! That's awful to deal with any time, but especially in the middle of the night! :( I'm sorry they treated you like you were stupid, I wouldn't know what to do in that situation and would have called as well. Do you rent? I don't know how it works for you, but in most places here, the landlord would have to pay to have things fixed, not you. It's their job to make sure things are in working order.

J_L - I imagine that was very scary! But yeah, those poor people in the office!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    EEEKK! Sorry about the flood in the apartment. Not sure how other countries' rental law works, but here too the landlord has to take care of that stuff.

J_L - That often happened at my high school so often that when we actually skipped class and our house got the phone call, we'd blame it on the system. But still, I understand why you were freaked out.

And here I thought I had a bad day. I woke up with a headache, got nothing done which isn't a huge deal since I'm kinda ahead in my classwork. Then my brother called - something had gone wrong with his truck so I had to pick him up from the garage. I just got home, still have a headache, still have got nothing done, and now all I want to do is write fanfic.

Ewok Poet and Mistress_Renata like this.
  8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, man, Ewok Poet, what a pain! (That is what I can politely say on the boards).

Briannakin, if the bunnies are biting, go with it. :D And see if there is some thing you can take for the headache.

Jedi_Lover, that must have been scary, too! At least your son is innocent. We'll assume! :cool:

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you know of the book American Encounters: Natives and Newcomers from European Contact to Indian Removal, 1500-1850? I Think you might find it highly interesting regarding "meeting and encounter", even if it's text mostly :p

yahiko likes this.
  10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ewok Poet - I totally feel for you. You have an intervention team?!

Jedi_Lover - Wow, that must have been so scary! Especially if you don't have a second car to kind of trace his route to school. Glad everything was okay.

Gamiel - For "meetings and encounters" that Valerian buildup cannot be topped.

yahiko - Do you have all the inspiration you need, yet?

11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    May 25th! Start your engines, boys and girls and everyone else! :chewie::han::lando::falcon:

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    May 25th?

13. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, I doubt it. It'll be pushed back to December like all the others.

I'm so very sorry to hear about that Ewok Poet. I'd be panicking, too. Hope the neighbor downstairs doesn't get TOO angry at you and your family.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Would be nice if they stayed with May. That's when the originals came out, after all.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you, mavjade, Briannakin, Jedi_Lover, whiskers, Sith-I-5, Mistress_Renata. <3 We calmed down, had enough sleep and actually had a good day yesterday.

We don't rent, the apartment is owned by my mother.

The building has a "president" and all the apartments are owned by people who live in them. The president happens to be...the woman downstairs. :( However, she noticed that there was water outside, too and she called the city water works to come next week and check the pipes for this whole stack of flats on the right side (can't find a better word for that, we call it "vertikala"). It could be that there's something stuck, somewhere.

The intervention team works 24 hours per day, their service is free, but they don't help clean up.

Jedi_Lover - That situation was scary! I don't know anybody who wouldn't freak out.

mavjade and Findswoman like this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Ewok Poet what you are describing is called a condominium in the USA. Owners don't own the land the building is sitting on, but they own the apartment/condo. We are responsible for everything inside the condo. The condo board is responsible for all the common areas inside and out. They are also responsible for the heating, hot water heater and the laundry room. My oldest son lives in a condo I own in the city. We have to pay about $175 a month to the condo board to cover utilities and upkeep. We carry homeowner's insurance to pay for anything that goes wrong inside.

My son was fine and made it to school. He said I worry too much. I can't help it, that's my job. And I excel at my job.;)

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I learned some new phrases today, so thanks. :)

Our monthly fee for the condo board is only about $3, and the utilities are paid to a city-owned company and they're about $110-$120...which is QUITE a lot in our terms.

18. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
  19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    We also have something similar to condos called a co-op (short for cooperative) which is what I live in. The distinction is small and kinda confusing, I've only recently learned it.

You technically don't own the apartment, though you don't have to get permission to change anything inside like you would in a tenant situation. You can paint, change the floor plan, change the bathrooms, whatever you want to do. But instead of owning that apartment, you own shares in the building and the building's assets. If you were to sell, you are actually selling your shares in the corporation/building, but your apartment goes with those shares. We have a board of directors to deal with the day to day things, and since everyone owns the building, everyone gets to vote on anything that has to do with the building (including refinancing the building's mortgage). Basically I think the biggest differences are in tax purposes. I hadn't even heard ot co-ops with regards to housing until I moved to NYC, where I think they are more popular because the buildings are so big the mortgage on the building itself is huge (maybe??). HERE is a good article that explains the difference if anyone is a weirdo like me and thinks it's interesting.

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I never heard of that. Interesting. If you have a bigger apartment I assume you have more shares than the people with smaller apartments. I have a question. Let's say your apartment cost you 100 shares. You don't do any upkeep and now your apartment is not in good shape. Does the amount of money you can get for your 100 shares diminish? Or is there an appraisal and now the amount of shares you have decreases because of lack up upkeep? It just seems like a weird set up.

Oh, by the way. WELCOME BACK! [:D] I am interested in knowing what medical treatments you did there. Please PM me when you have a chance.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, it's still kinda a strange concept to me. The bigger the apartment, the more shares you have. A studio is worth less than a one bedroom and so on. But I think it also depends on the value of your apartment. A one bedroom in the middle of the building has fewer shares than one with a balcony or a river view. I assume that if the value of your apartment drops you'd lose shares, but I assume they'd only know if you went to sell it.

I think one of the advantages seen in Co-ops is the vetting. You have to be approved by the board before they will allow you to buy. They can't discriminate, but if you don't meet the salary requirements/have the capital that meets their requirements even if you can get a mortgage, they can deny you. If you want to sublet your apartment, the board still has to approve the people. So there is a lot less foreclosure in co-ops than condos which overall increases the property value, I think. Apparently 75% of the housing market in NYC are co-ops and there are some tax incentives to co-ops that you don't get with condos. I know when I file my taxes for NY state and NYC (because yes, there are taxes for both) it asks if you live in a co-op.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My Condo Association really frowns on renters. I think you need approval and only a certain percentage can be rentals. I do know renters are not allowed to have pets, but owners can can pets under 30 pounds. My son likes living there...mainly because he is away from me. lol! He doesn't even have internet or cable. I think he is thrilled to be on his own for the first time (and by on his own I only mean living in a home away from his parents. He still doesn't have a job. I pay for everything). :rolleyes:

Jedi Knight Fett and mavjade like this.
  23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    FRIIIIIIDAAAAAAY! And thank the Force I have today off, I worked stupid hours this week. I cleared my humungous pile of laundry this morning and now it's time for some serious catching-up on fanfic.

Leaking and flooding pipes suck, and that sort of stuff always seems to happen at the most inconvenient times, like the middle of the night, Sunday mornings when no plumber is available or when you just left on holiday for two weeks :mad: Ewok Poet You may want to look at the fine print of your insurance policy; if it's similar to those we have here, chances are that you're covered for any damage you caused to the neighbour's flat.

Jedi_Lover I can imagine the panic, both among parents and school staff! I'm happy to hear that it was just a glitch.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This was fun and interesting

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

The only insurance we have is the symbolic, mandatory one on our utility bill. I can check the back of that thing, but I'm almost positive that it doesn't do anything. But I'm hopeful that the handymen coming next week will find something glitchy that could wash our hands out of the whole thing.

And what...you don't have an emergency team that works on Sundays in Athens? O_O