main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ooooh I've never played Skyward Sword, this is great. Wish it were Twilight Princess though.

2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I kinda was hoping for a Windwaker/Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword compilation like Mario 3D All Stars but oh well. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It might play better with the new control scheme, but there were some worm-eaten design decisions beyond that and I’m not optimistic, they were not going on about key rebalancing like they were with Wind Waker. Anything’s possible, though.

4. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Yeah uhh looks like all of us were some what right.

Its not XC3 but I guess ill get SSBU and the waifu i mean uhh age appropriate sized amiibo.

Mythra best waifu tho. Just sayin.

Never got to play SS...and those slick joycons.

I wonder if they drift...

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I’ve been wanting a new Mario Golf for ages.

Ramza likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn you Ramza! But I must admit, that Speed Golf mode looks fun. Basically what people do at minigolf anyways, lol.

Triangle Strategy looks amazing- and the demo is up now. I really need to get around to booting up Octopath at some point. I think that was the third retail game I bought after I got my Switch (and 4th or 5th overall).

Ninja Gaiden collection is tempting- I have the first on XB but only played it a little on a demo kiosk back in the day. I bought the 3rd cheap on Wii U but never booted it up.

Was afraid that opening trailer was gonna spoil XC2 (i'm making progress in that game, but I'm trying to get into a factory but they're making me solve a murder case now, lol) but the Smash twist was a relief and exciting. The dual character/dual Final is cool (another swordfighter, though, ha). Will be cool to actually control a Blade directly for once. And the stage looks neat, if more traditional.

Skyward Sword it looks like I won't be picking up my original save file after all, since the motion controls looked improved here, and the text was almost impossible to read ten years ago, I think I'll opt to actually start this one over (will join the rare club alongside MM of Zelda games I abandoned my original save files of). And I'm getting those joycons.

Also happy Splat 3 isn't until next year. I just got Splat 2 last month for the Mario SplatFest to get the pin set today. I'd be a little pissed if Splat 3 was hitting in only a few months.

Just a lot of cool games and variety announced. Really great Direct.

7. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    It was a good Direct. Too bad about that Star Wars game, though. Seems to be nothing more than a prettier Galaxy of Heroes with less content, from reading the announcement on StarWars.com. I'll be happy to be surprised, but a competitive, arena combat game isn't my idea of a good new Star Wars game.

Definitely gunning for Skyward Sword, Miitopia, and perhaps even Mario Golf. And Splatoon 3 when it finally arrives.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, yeah, Miitopia coming back is a nice touch. Probably because of the Smash stage they need to keep it relevant, ha.

I'm also curious about Famicom Detective- despite the name, it reminds me of phoenix Wright on DS/GBA. Turns out the series did make it to GBA at one point, so that explains the similarities.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Even if you’re usually optimistic about Star Wars games that Zynga logo in the corner of the trailer is all you really need to know.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well how I want a switch

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    I'd give this Direct a 2 out of 10. I might check out the Hyrule Warriors Expansion Pass. Doesn't seem like anything cool is coming until November for Wave 2.

As for Skyward Sword, I know a lot of people hated on it because of the Wii motion controls, but it sounds like they cleaned it up for the Switch. I highly recommend playing it for the story. It was the first LoZ game that made me cry. I loved it.

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yay, nice to finally have a full Direct again. And ooh, Skyward Sword port. I always loved that game on the Wii (flying around was fun), looking forward to playing it again, just hope they do a decent job with the touch controls. Too bad they couldn't bundle all the relatively recent Zelda ports though, since they've been porting most of the great stuff that was on Wii U to Switch (unless they're saving it for a Zelda direct later on, but I'm probably expecting too much).

The Animal Crossing stuff looks great too (a feature like that sure sounds convenient).

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I had expected it here, but I would guess they want to save most of the Zelda stuff to the second half of the year. Given that Mario's anniversary stuff all mostly started in June-ish last year (even before covid delayed the later games), that would track. Skyward, being a new port requiring new control adjustments, would have been a separate release no matter if they do a collection or not.

Since BOTW2 may not be out until the end of the year, if not later due to covid, I think we could still see a TWW-HD/TP-HD two-pack.

Rew likes this.
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They're exactly what you want from Ninja Gaiden in that they're hard as **** and tied together with a stereotypical anime storyline. Also, they all have unlimited continues, unlike a certain other third installment in the same franchise that I could name. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  15. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I only got a Switch last year and figured I had missed the boat with Splatoon & Splatoon 2. Is 2 worth getting still? It’s multiplayer only, right?

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    S2 has a story mode. I barely played it though, so I couldn't say if it's worth it or not. 99% of my play time has been multiplayer.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, both games have a single player campaign and there's DLC expansion for Splat2. I haven't played Splat2's yet, but I understand that it has more of a story than the first game's (which was mostly told through recovered bonus scroll items which tell the ancient backstory of the war between Inklings and Octos, though some of the creepier implications come from the sound design towards the end of the game which I believe the sequel took a lot of cues from in terms of who might actually be the invasive, predatory species).

Splat3 looks like it might expand on that lore further (note the upside down Eiffel Tower in the wastelands in the trailer).

However, the game is definitely focused primarily on multiplayer matches as its bread and butter. And is still super-fun, so it's still worth checking out. I managed to grab it for $40 the other week, which is a fair price if you can find that sale elsewhere still.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    RokurGepta likes this.
  18. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    The more time goes on the more i find myself wanting to play nintendo more than other systems. Took a look at a list someone made of ninty games announced this year so far and it blows my SeriesX/ PS4-5 list out of the water.

Edit: In addition i find if games are crossplatform, i either wait for Gamepass or get on Switch. Poor ps4 exists solely for streaming tv, Horizon, and GoW now. Looking forward To KoA:Rereckoning switch release.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Yay, my mini poster set arrived from My Nintendo, this should be a fun little addition to my... WTH?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corellian_Outrider and Rew like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

I still barely believe this is happening. Somehow "translating a previously unlocalized NES game" was not as egregious as a Famicom Detective Club remake in my mind.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000

That's more like it!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    solojones and The2ndQuest like this.
  22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    As someone whose Switch was recently rendered inoperable in handheld mode thanks to Super Mario 3D World causing me to basically rage-snap the thing in half... this is a well timed piece of news. :p

23. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I haven't followed the gaming industry closely in over a decade, but is Nintendo approaching veritable Juggernaut status all over again? It sure seems like it.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’d say it’s more that they’re very much a market force again after not being one at all for parts of the Wii U’s lifespan (i.e. before the 3DS caught on). The Wii/DS combo* was still probably the absolute peak of their cycling periods of control of the market, and because the Switch is only one platform they likely can’t hit that height again by default.

*: Seriously, people rightly talk about the PS2’s utter dominance in its day but Nintendo had two of the all time best selling systems at the same time, and they were selling for a profit. Companies kill for less. :p

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    As Ramza said, Nintendo isn't dominating the market but they are definitely an equal heavy hitter with Playstation. Microsoft is still behind, in spite of Series X being a good console. They just still don't have any games and their model of trying to make every game they make free on GamePass, while good in theory for gamers, ultimately means they just can't actually make AAA exclusives anymore. It's a problem that neither Nintendo nor Playstation have had, and is a big reason why you see all the game awards (such as the BAFTAs) dominated by Nintendo and Playstation exclusives for a good part.

Anyway... I drool over these Switch Pro rumors. I will definitely get one day one, and will be happy to buy extras to sell at face value here when all the rest of you lot inevitably can't get the websites to work :p