main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Even after all this time, III is the top seller? That's... incredibly impressive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Episode 12 (sometimes 13) of the animated series. ;)

(actually one the neater episodes, IMO)

EDIT- PSA: it wasn’t clear from the Direct but the Mature N64 thing is a separate app you need to download to get Perfect Dark and Turok.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    PCCViking likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    July NES NSO Update!

COBRA Triangle (impressive spite work with the rotation- also a Rare-developed title), Donkey Kong Jr. Math (do I include this in the chain of DK/Mario games in how I arrange my NSO titles? hmm...), Golf (honestly surprised this wasn't on there already), Mach Rider (of "Smash Bros Brawl trophy" fame), SOLAR JETMAN (WHY IS THIS IN ALL CAPS?! Also, another Rare-developed title), The Mystery of Atlantis (a FC-only title previously), and Urban Champion (more fighting games need to use a "****! It's the cops! Be cool!" mechanic, honestly).

EDIT- Ah, now I remember- NES Golf was a hidden Easter egg in the Switch hardware unlocked via JoyCon gestures, until it was patched out, to honor Iwata.

Also pleasantly surprised we're getting so many Black Box titles added at once. Just missing 10-Yard Fight, Duck Hunt, Gumshoe, Hogan's Alley, Popeye, Slalom, Wild Gunman, and then the two ROB games, Gyromite & Stack-Up. And, if you count the Silver Box titles, also missing Rad Racer.

But even counting them, that means we have over 2/3rds of that sub-collection. And I assume Popeye might have licensing issues, while the ROB titles would not be playable without modification. The Zapper games can potentially work though (they did at least Duck Hunt for Wii U VC- not sure if you need a sensor bar or if there's a way around that- the JoyCons do have IR pointers after all). So that just leaves 6-7 titles that realistically can be included (8 if Popeye doesn't have licensing concerns that can't be overcome).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It’s because the mechanically superior sequel was already on there. I have a soft spot for Golf proper, though, my cousin owned it so that’s the first golf game I ever played. It’s very basic but it’s three button golf with tight controls so, y’know, still pretty fun.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    July GBA NSOX Update: Densetsu No Starfy 1-3 (The Legendary Starfy). First time outside of Japan, and apparently in untranslated form (the first game had a fan translation come out earlier this year).

Seems there were 5 games in the series, with 4 & 5 jumping to 3D on the DS and only the fifth game getting a release outside of Japan, back in 2009. Apparently held back over the years by Nintendo because they felt that the games had too many Japanese cultural references for an international audience.

Also, Nintendo is teasing some kind of horror game:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
    Rew likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team hit NSO+EP yesterday:

Going by the comments, this was apparently the final Pokemon game released for the GBA. I never played these, but the music in the trailer is fantastic. I'm going to have to track that soundtrack down.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fun little throwback video from last month:

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Incoming Indie Direct/Partner Showcase (the first time they've ever done a hybrid):

Expected to be about 40 min long. No Switch 2 info.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2024
  8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    Anything good?

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    TRAILS IN THE SKY 1 REMAKE FOR 2025!

Ahem, I'm sure there's other stuff but that's the biggie I've just seen.

Ramza and Nobody145 like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Kinda disappointing. Some neat indies here and there (I liked what Europa looked like, there was also Pizza Tower and a weird game from Anapurna called Purcula; as well as the next agme from the makers of Gris, and themed crossover cards for Balatro with stuff like Among Us, Vampire Survuvors, etc) ), a few good collections (Castlevania DS trilogy, Capcom/SNK, Tetris 40th anniversary [with a Maximus Cup later this year, and NES Tetris on NSO alongside it). Various anime-style RPGs and life simulators. Multiplats like Goat Simulator 3 and Civ 7. A Rune Factory spin-off. Biggest announcement is a port of Yakuza Kiwami.

11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ignore Quest's rumblings, the Trails news is huge and won't just be for Switch.

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Never heard of the original

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It is a pretty major but lower profile series. Consider a JRPG series that runs plots from game to game.

Arc 1 is 3 games.
    Arc 2 is 2 games.
    Arc 3 is 5 games.
    Arc 4 is 3 games. (One out now, next Feb 2025, final one TBC)

And characters from earlier stories show up later on leading to a huge cast.

But, so far, for playing on PS4-5, you can only start at Arc 2. Arc 1 was PS3 / PSP and Part 3 never got a western release.

That's why it is significant.

The other big Switch port announced is Yakuza Kuwami.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, they also had some Sea of Stars DLC that looks good. And a game called Star Overdrive that seems like an open world hoverboard combat/skate/surf game hybrid that actually looks pretty cool.

It's also worth observing that, with this singular hybrid Direct covering both the Indies and Partners, it clears the board for a potential (as is fairly traditional for almost every years since Directs began, and particularly during the Switch lifetime) Sept/1st-week-of-Oct mainline Direct...

I didn't mention Trails because it didn't really leave any impression on me in the Direct. And I've never heard of the series before. It was just an anime-style game with maybe Monster Hunter-like combat that literally showed only 8 seconds of footage before getting immediately overshadowed by an Ewok driving an AT-ST in Star Wars Hunters :D.

I've found that is always the best course of action.

Siphonophore likes this.
  16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Personally I'm just happy about the Tales of Graces news, I still miss a lot of those older Tales games, it'll be nice to have Graces a lot more accessible. Now if only they'd port more entries (and hopefully the port will be decent).

Nice to see more Trails news too, although keeping track of the games is kind of complicated, with entries all over the place.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Thank god, that thing is a ***** and a half to get running on anything other than a PSP emulator.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I see what you did there.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Looking forward to getting the "Castlevania Dominus" collection later this year. Hopefully the next collection has to be "Castlevania Adventure Rebirth", "Castlevania Chronicles" and the "Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles", before doing the 3D era collection.

I will get the "Marvel vs Capcom" collection when it is discounted for a sale.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes I’m also hoping they release those collections of games they already released collections of. :p

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    One of those games is stuck on the Wii/Wii U, one on the PS 1 Classics store and the last on the PSP store. The 3D era games have never been collected.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't even try doing it.

23. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I just wanted Mega Man Star Force Legacy Collection. :(

ZanderSolo likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I wouldn’t mind if they got a somewhat future proofed rerelease but my point is that what would be, effectively, ports of remake collections of games they already ported has to be an outrageously low priority.

As for the 3D titles I wouldn’t even fault Konami for pretending they didn’t happen.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    What other Nintendo DS games are available to play on Switch?