main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Snoke's ultimate goal... what he REALLY wants

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What could be Snoke's ultimate goal?

So far people are assuming he has the same goals as Hux, but in reality it seems like he's just giving Hux permission to "play war" while he is concerned with something else, something that only Luke can stop.

Snoke seems utterly dismissive of the Republic, of their capital and fleet's destruction, and even of the Starkiller's destruction.

Instead, he's concerned about Luke, then about Rey, and also about if Kylo is ready.

When he learns the destruction of the First Order's most prized possession is imminent, his reaction is literally "well, now I guess it's time to finish training Kylo."

Seems very odd, doesn't it?

So what does Snoke REALLY want?

1. It could be peace and order, like Hux, and believing any method justifies that goal. With himself as the benevolent, wise philosopher-king. But we've seen this before.

2. It could be personal power or immortality, and just be completely self-centered. Though we've seen this before too.

Could it be something else?

3. Perhaps he wants Luke the last Jedi and Kylo with his Knights to finish each other, then Snoke sacrifice himself too, so all knowledge of the Force can be gone forever?

4. Perhaps he wants to wipe out all Force-users and galactic civilization too, to "reset" everything so the cycle can begin again?

5. Perhaps he says he wants order, but really wants chaos and unending war, an Eternal War, to feed the dark-side?

6. Perhaps he wants destruction, of the Galaxy, Life, and the Force itself... as the only way to end the conflict forever, and finally bring peace and true darkness?

Or something else?

2. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    For its own sake, like I put in option 2?

Or for a reason? Like those in my other listed options, or something else?

4. Jedi_Master_Laker

Jedi_Master_Laker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    First comes the day
    Then comes the night.
    After the darkness
    Shines through the light.
    The difference, they say,
    Is only made right
    By the resolving of gray
    Through refined Jedi sight.
    First thing in the novelization the foundation of thought that is being established before you enter the universe. Pretty important to understand this as it was put there for a reason. The grey is Kylo. The use of this establishes that the force is still a dichotomy. Dark vs Light. Luke went to the first Jedi Temple to resolve the grey within himself, the first temple being the brightest source of light. Snokes motivation is to extinguish the light, Kylo is grey incarnate becoming darker with each evil act Luke/Rey will resolve him by turning him to the light. I know it sound simple but the premise.is.established by the decision to.use the Jounal at the start. They could have chose a.million things they chose this.

Dak Oolron, oncafar, DL44Jo and 7 others like this.
  5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Based on what little we know of Snoke and what has already been established in TFA, my guess would be that Snoke wants to resurrect the Empire via the First Order and claim the role Sidious had as Emperor. He is already referred to with the honorific of "Supreme Leader" by Kylo and Hux, this would infer that he already has established control of the First Order and is likely using it as a means to an end - absolute power. He also mentions continuing Kylo's training which also infers that he has some force ability and is a dark side user, so his motivations for gaining power likely fall into the mindset of dark side Force users which is more or less power for the sake of power.

Part of me hopes I'm wrong on this. I would love to see a different motivation for Snoke in the next two films. Sidious was quite clear in that he wanted power for the Sith to rule the known galaxy and he got what the Sith had wanted. If Snoke is a different breed of dark side user, then his motivations may be entirely different than those of the Sith.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  7. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Balance is the key to this, I think. Balance, and the symoblism suggested by Snoke's name ( snake ), and his early, concept art depiction as a serpent headed creature.

I've suspected, on and off, for a while now that the snake symbolism here was important, and that should the PT's theme of balance to the Force reappear in the ST ( which it did, of course ), that an antigonist designed to explore this theme further was likely. In a dualistic cosmogony, such as the concept of the Force is based upon, balance would essentially equate to Order, which is opposed by Chaos. Rick Carter ( in the Art of TFA book ) says that the ST will introduce us to new elements of the Force. If I were to guess, I'd say that we will learn that 'Balance' or order, and 'Imbalance' or chaos, are two fundamentally important aspects of the Force itself. So we have the Light and Dark Sides ( such as in the light and darkness of Manichaeism ), but above this, we also have the agents of balance and imbalance. This order /chaos dichitomy is basically 'Chaoskampf', the universal myth of a struggle between the forces of order and a chaos serpent. One of the most significant examples of which are the ancient Egyptian concepts of Maat ( order ), represented by the god Ra, and Isfet ( chaos ), represented by the serpent Apep / Apophis. Apep was believed to swallow the sun every evening, a symbolism which is particulary interesting in light of TFA's Starkiller.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_(cosmogony)

"The motif of Chaoskampf (German for "struggle against chaos") is ubiquitous in myth and legend, depicting a battle of aculture hero deity with a chaos monster, often in the shape of a serpent or dragon. The same term has also been extended to parallel concepts in the religions of the Ancient Near East, such as the abstract conflict of ideas in the Egyptian duality of Maat and Isfet."

"Isfet or Asfet (meaning "injustice", "chaos", or "violence"; as a verb, “to do evil” is an ancient Egyptian term from Egyptian mythology used in philosophy, which was built on a religious, social and political affected dualism."

"Isfet was thought to be the counterpart of the term Ma'at (meaning “(world-) order” or “harmony”). According to ancient Egyptian beliefs, Isfet and Ma'at built a complementary and also paradoxical dualism: one could not exist without its counterpart. Isfet and Ma'at balanced each other. An Egyptian king (pharaoh) was appointed to “achieve” Ma'at, which means that he had to keep and protect justice and harmony by destroying Isfet."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isfet_(Egyptian_mythology)

"Apep (/ˈæˌpɛp/ or /ˈɑːˌpɛp/) or Apophis(/ˈæpəfɨs/; Ancient Greek: Ἄποφις; also spelled Apepi or Aapep) was the ancient Egyptian deity who embodied chaos (ı͗zft in Egyptian) and was thus the opponent of light and Ma'at (order/truth). He appears in art as a giant serpent."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apep

If Snoke is a representation of Apep, then it's also possible that Rey is a development of Ra, the bringer of order

Fin McCool, Tho Yor, oncafar and 9 others like this.
  8. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Am I understanding you that Snoke's ultimate goal is eternal chaos?

Zeralyos likes this.
  9. Ceirwyn

Ceirwyn Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    I agree that post-Vadar, the tables have been re-balanced and that this new balance is what this trilogy will focus on for the force users.

10. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I think he is a personification of chaos maybe. Ra for rey is interensting too, but I was thinking more of Rey as in "Ray of light."

11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't Andy Serkis state that Snoke is damaged and vulnerable ? And if my memory's still intact, GL or someone else stated that the original ST plans (Before even ROTJ was made) was about Luke trying to stop The Emperor before he became the Ultimate being. So my guess is that Snoke wants to remove his vulnerability by becoming the ultimate dark side being. (Possibly through the Dark Side wellspring planet mentioned in Aftermath?)

12. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    maybe he is boo :p

13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
  14. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Homergreg

Yes, I guess that some form of chaos is where this idwa would lead, but chaos is a nebulous concept isn't it? So quite how they'd interpret this is hard to say. Never ending conflict? Political chaos? Famine, destruction, and suffering on a galactic scale maybe?

rowan_greenleaf and Ghost like this.
  15. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I think Snoke wants the extermination of the light side of the force. He wants to bring his version of 'balance' to the force.

16. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    Entropy
    Entropy ;)

chaos is drawn by the light.

17. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I think Snoke wants to wipe out the Jedi completely, plain and simple. That means finding and killing Luke before he can train any new Jedi, and also get rid of or turn anyone currently in the path to become a Jedi (like Ben, and now Rey).

Not really sure WHY he would want that aside from being evil and wanting to control the Galaxy with no threat to his dark sided ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rimfaxe96 likes this.
  18. Cyan_Dawn

Cyan_Dawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 1999
    I'd actually prefer if Snoke was just a dark side guru, kind of like an anti-Yoda, and was only interested in expanding the dark side wherever possible.

J7Luke, bluealien1 and Rimfaxe96 like this.
  19. grizzla

grizzla Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    Destroying the last remnants of the Light Side so that ONLY the Dark Side remains.
    Basically just an evil ****

Dak Oolron and Rimfaxe96 like this.
  20. Eons I slept

Eons I slept Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2015
    Reunite the galaxy into a single unified military super power to combat the imminent extra-galactic threat that's coming to enslave and destroy the GFFA.

Solid dude.

21. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    To get people to stop identifying him a Sith Lord. Darth "Oh, I can cheat death" failed to do so. Pathetic loser who lost to a loser. Now Snoke's the boss.

Zeralyos, Rimfaxe96 and dlbates like this.
  22. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    So here's my crazy, no evidence theory: Snoke has no Force sensitivity. In fact, he despises force sensitives, and his ultimate plan is to destroy them entirely. He picked an 'apprentice' with a mix of dark and light in him with the intent to perform some sort of sacrifice that will ripple through both sides, rupturing all connection. Or perhaps, even the Force itself (this is almost like someone trying to destroy their God, and this would make for a very interesting villain) This is why he's continually described as 'vulnurable' in interviews.

His horrible disfigurement has something to do with his reasoning, but likely something more tragic. Maybe he had tried to save someone he loved with the force, and failed.

dolphin, KnightOfRen, Dareth and 3 others like this.
  23. iamthesenate

iamthesenate Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    What if his goal is to get Rey to his side?

Vasco_Rojo, Zeralyos and QueenSabe7 like this.
  24. Eons I slept

Eons I slept Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2015

This is actually pretty interesting. It reminds me of R. Scott Bakker's 2nd Apocalypse saga (what my avatar is from). I won't get into detail because it's the greatest piece of fiction ever written.

They would, however, have to come up with a VERY interesting way for Snoke to 'sever' everyone from the Force, because sacrificing Kylo or Luke or someone while chanting some mumbo jumbo just won't cut it.

Dareth likes this.
  25. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015

I think he will at some point try

Zeralyos and Rimfaxe96 like this.