main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo: A Star Wars Story Trailer #2

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 8, 2017.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    And not to get into Politics but Forbes Is heavily conservative I don't trust them even about movies and Hollywood.

2. Darth Durge

Darth Durge Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2018
    Isn't that Rob Cain, the other Forbes contributor? He's the guy who wrote articles like this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...f-it-performed-like-a-normal-star-wars-movie/

With the exception of the movie's underperformance in China, Mendelson has been assuring his readers that TLJ is doing fine.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Mendelson is usually quite negative, himself. In general, Forbes is not really a friend to Star Wars.

4. Darth Durge

Jan 13, 2018
    But I don't think that's fair in the case of Star Wars. Mendelson wrote articles generally rebutting the idea that TLJ underperformed in the United States.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ars-the-last-jedi-is-a-disaster/#7551016f4c02

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That's because it didn't under perform. I've been reading Mendelson for years. He's usually not particularly kind to Star Wars. Now, let's get back to the Solo trailer.

6. Darth Durge

Jan 13, 2018
    Okay, but if we're solely talking about his article on the upcoming trailer, I don't see how it was particularly negative.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't read the article, I was simply pointing out Mendelson's general history. Now, let's move on.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Well for one he Is assuming that because the trailer isn't out Disney isn't happy with the film. That Is pure speculation and like throwing Gasoline on a tire fire. The article also reads like he is bitter and entitled. I don't know may be that is just me?

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    His article could basically be surmised as, "If the movie sucks, why should Disney hemorrhage money to market it? And if it's good, they know you can start about now and still reap maximum rewards." Rogue One released a trailer earlier, but the real marketing for that movie, the marketing that normal people pay attention to, didn't start until much closer to release (much like The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi). It was basically a plea for impatient fans to take a chill pill and wait and see how things play out.

10. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    He is not assuming the trailer isn't out because Disney is unhappy with the film. He goes through a set of scenarios regrading quality of the film, what Disney has on the docket this year, the possible release dates of the trailer and the relationships between these variables. He does state that IF the movie is bad, releasing the trailer early would not do it any favors. This is spoken of as a possible reason the trailer would be delayed. It never states he believes this to be the case. This is not 'throwing gasoline on a tire fire', its describing what would happen if there was a 'tire fire'.

I did not take the article to be negative, nor others I've read from Forbes. I've usually taken them to be pragmatic. I've never seen them to be wrongly critical or overly negative (by this I mean offering negative viewpoints of the plot/ideas/characters/etc), just not gushing with positivism simultaneously.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I took his set of scenarios as Sarcasm Tongue In Cheek. but it was a poor attempt at humor IMHO I have never read this Guys stuff regularly but If another poster claims he picks on star wars most of the time who am I to argue? Do any of you read his columns about Star Wars Regularly?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  12. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Just one week and three days to Superbowl, Solo trailer...
    [​IMG].

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. CloneWarsFan01

CloneWarsFan01 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2015
    Also, while Scott didn't like TFA (one of the reasonable reasons that it was a rehash of ANH), he is a Prequel Trilogy defender and some one who liked Rogue One and The Last Jedi for being what TFA should have been.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I have like all the Disney Star Wars Movies so I don't get this argument. They all bring something different to the table!

Mostly Handless and Wildcatbarry like this.
  15. CloneWarsFan01

Sep 1, 2015
    Well, there's only 9 days til the Super Bowl. Let's see if we get hints or teases of the Solo trailer coming during the Super Bowl, soon, like next week. And, I hope that trailer knocks it out of the park.

BTW, since this week's EW cover issue is a double week issue, I'm gonna say the next EW cover story issue may be for Solo and it may come out the week before Black Panther's release.

What do u think, @ManaByte? Is that a fair assumption?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  16. commander cody

commander cody Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2014
    The double issue covers this week and the week of Feb 2. We could get a Solo issue as soon as Feb 9, which would be the week right after the super bowl

17. commander cody

Oct 6, 2014
    If we are getting a super bowl trailer/tv spot, when will we get an announcement for the trailer?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  18. CloneWarsFan01

Sep 1, 2015
    Either on the Star Wars Show this Wednesday or the day before on Saturday. Or maybe they won't announce it all because Disney doesn't announce their Super Bowl spots in advance despite trades reporting what they are. But, hopefully, they announce one for Solo.

If not, they could always Ron Howard do a countdown on Twitter by having those pics of the numbers with hands and legs (4, 3, 2, 1) countdown to the Solo trailer, a la Russo Brothers on Twitter counting down to the world premiere of the trailer for Avengers: Infinity War.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    What if we don't get a trailer on the SB what if at the end of the game, when it is all over on Monday and we still don't have a trailer what then? I can see this eventuality happening...

20. Darth Durge

Jan 13, 2018
    If we don't get it during the Super Bowl, we'll almost certainly get it with Black Panther. That said, I think the absolute drop-dead last point that Lucasfilm could release a trailer would be with Disney's A Wrinkle In Time (which, frankly, probably needs the boost more than Black Panther does). That movie debuts on March 9th.

21. commander cody

Oct 6, 2014
    If we don't get a trailer by the super bowl then I will believe we have an absolute dumpster fire

Darth Durge likes this.
  22. Darth Durge

Jan 13, 2018
    I'm starting to have a hard time believing dumping Lord and Miller was worth doubling the budget for a project that we still know precious little about, but we'll see...

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If we don't get a trailer by the time the Super Bowl ends then we all freak out and declare the film a bust. At least that's usually how this works. :p

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Why wait? :)

25. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015