main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sontarans vs. Clonetroopers

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by KennethMorgan, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Okay, I saw the "Clone Wars" movie twice this wekend, and I finally got around to seeing "The Sontaran Strategem/The Poison Sky" recently. So, the question: which bunch of cloned warriors do you prefer, the Clonetroopers or the Sontarans?

For me, it's the Clonetroopers all the way. They're faster and more agile, have better senses of humor, have cooler nicknames, and lack the Sontarans' bombastic personalities. Besides, I'll take "Scrap 'em!" over "Sontar-HA!".

This is pretty much the geekiest post I've ever made here, but I think I'll go with it. Feel free to lock it if you wish.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Well I'm fairly sure that in battle, Sontarans would win.

But in coolness factor, Clone Troopers win, for the reasons you gave :)

3. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Have to disagree on that. Sontarans pretty much just stand in a group and advance forward; Clonetroopers have the smarts to move fast and take cover under fire. Sort of like the difference between the Redcoats and the Continental Army.

4. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I'd have to go with the Clonetroopers way cooler and besides the Sontarans couldn't even defeat a normal Earth army at least in the episode I saw. No way could they defeat Clonetroopers.

5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yean, but the clonetroopers go up against droids.
    The Sontarans go up against shape-changing Jellyfish that can deliver massive electrical damage. Sontarans also have limited time travel and a calous disregard of other species.

Plus, black is always a cooler color for uniforms than white.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

As if this is a debate. Sontar-ha.

7. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Sontarans make for more interesting metaphors about warrior culture.

Also I have no desire to see that Clone Wars movie, but I guess if it is on TV at some time I might catch parts of it.

I really have no idea who it is targeted after. Seems to me all the kids who would have liked the prequels would have grown up to the point that it looks lame, and the new kids aren't interested in Star Wars as much anymore. As for older people, I would rather just replay some SW videogame than go see that movie.

8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I like Sontarans from Classic Doctor Who, a'la Tom Baker (is he still alive???).

They would kick Stormtrooper butt, since the classic trilogy stormtroopers couldn't a) shoot or b) duck worth a darn.

Clonetroopers, I don't know. They seem less handicapped somehow (accumulation of genetic damage over decades of cloning, perhaps?).

Peace,

V-03

9. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Tom Baker is still ticking, and can be heard on the occasional Duracell advert. Not to mention Little Britain...

10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Glad to hear it.

He was hands down my favorite; I grew up with the guy.

Peace,

V-03

11. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Sontarns would not get defeated by Ewoks

Nuf said.

12. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Doctor Who has never had much in the way of combat tactics. Occasionally UNIT soldiers would drop to one knee when firing riffles, but almost no one ever dodged or dove for cover. Good old red-coat era tactics of line up both sides & march toward each other firing.

Come to think of it, Stormtroopers weren't much better.

13. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Sontarans also have a huge advantage in numbers. They have "hatchings of a million cadets at each muster parade" (The Time Warrior) and can "mass-clone themselves at rates up to a million embryos every four minutes. Thereafter the clones take just ten minutes to grow to adulthood." (The Invasion of Time).

The maximum defined number of clone troopers?

3 million. [face_plain]

I'd say that with their numerical advantage, and their strength due to being from a heavy gravity planet, they'd beat the clone troopers. Plus they'd probably not underestimate the clone troopers the same way they did the UNIT troops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.